Wii vs. Pi for as an emulator platform

Welcome Page Forums RetroPie Project Everything else related to the RetroPie Project Wii vs. Pi for as an emulator platform

This topic contains 0 replies, has 1 voice, and was last updated by  Jason Whiteman 3 years, 3 months ago.

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • Author

Jason Whiteman
    Participant

I’m still working with RetroPie as a vehicle for introducing myself to the Raspberry Pi. As I saw Wii consoles for sale for $30 – I’m wondering if they are a more cost effective fit as an emulator.

Wii Pros:
    1) Natively a console – can play Wii discs, etc.
    2) Comes with an enclosure
    3) Comes with a power supply
    4) Integrated wireless
    5) All the standardized integration means less variants to code/account for
    6) As a native console, usually comes with some form of game controller
    7) Source is a larger company presumably with a more fully-stacked design, debug, test, etc. team for hardware. (possibly flawed assumptions here)

Raspberry Pros:
    1) More active development community (assumed) – because Raspberry was designed as a development platform.
    2) Overall smaller – for applications that need it.
    3) Higher resolution
    4) Faster core speed although I am not sure if how this translates in performance not having reviewed emulators in both platforms
    5) GPIO headers / hardware customization part of original design goals (easier)

Sure there’s more to list on either side – but at $30 and only slight disadvantages, the Wii looks to be an attractive alternative.

Regards,
    Jason

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)

Forums are currently read only - please visit the new RetroPie forums at https://retropie.org.uk/forums/

PLEASE NOTE: All orders that are placed between January 14th and January 28th will be shipped on January 29th. Dismiss