Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Participant

There are currently four EMUs for SNES, two for NES, Megadrive/Genesis and three for the GBA:
    lr-armsnes
    lr-catsfc
    lr-pocketsnes
    lr-snes9x-next

lr-fceu-next
    lr-nestopia

lr-genesis-plus-gx
    lr-picodrive

gpsp
    lr-gpsp
    lr-vba-next

(I excluded ones which can not be exited via a gamepad/controller)

I would like everyone to chime in on which should be “more compatible” than the other(s). I’m looking to find out which emulators I should be using as the default.

chdez77076
    Participant

Lr-nes
    Lr-snes
    Lr-masters stem
    Lr-gb
    Lr-gbc
    Lr-gba
    mame4all (using the Lr only for mk2 and mk3)
    mupen64plus testing (rice)
    Lr-fba
    gngeopi (just because it’ll play all the metal slug and kof games.)

cacophony555
    Participant

snes9x-next is the most accurate/compatible snes option (especially if you consider sound emulation), but is only suitable for the Pi 2. It does struggle a bit with some SuperFX games, though.

nestopia is noticeably better than fceu in my experience for nes

genesis-plus-gx should be the best option for both mastersystem and genesis if you have a Pi 2. For the Pi 1 you would want to use picodrive for the genesis.

Not sure about GBA

taalas
    Participant

I have recently had the same problem (figuring out the best choices for emulators for each system). I think it would be great to have some kind of collection in the wiki which lists recommended options (including emulator version) for each platform (Pi and Pi2) and system. I would gladly help working on a list like this, not sure who do talk to about permissions to do this.

Another possibility would be to just use the default values for the new emulator selection mechanism. I am not sure if those are currently just semi-random or follow a specific pattern. Also those can not be system specific as since the SD card images are built from the same source I think…

neighbourhoodnerd
    Participant

lr-gpsp and Picodrive are my preferred emulators for GBA and Sega respectively.

hazza4569
    Participant

I just did a standard binary based installation for all my emulators – most of them work fine.

I did however get very frustrated with the controller configuration in gpsp as it wasn’t saving at all. because of this I decided to install lr-gpsp, however now it still uses gpsp by default and I’m not sure how to change that. Can anybody help me out?

gizmo98
    Participant

Press “x” or “m” if you start a gba game and select lr-gpsp as your new default gba emulator.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • The forum ‘Everything else related to the RetroPie Project’ is closed to new topics and replies.