Using overlay in retroarch makes FPS drop?

Welcome Page Forums RetroPie Project Everything else related to the RetroPie Project Using overlay in retroarch makes FPS drop?

This topic contains 2 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of bazola bazola 2 years, 3 months ago.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of bazola
    bazola
    Participant

Hi
    I like to use overlay option in retroarch to display nice borders when i play 4:3 games on my 16:9 TV.
    I was playing street fighter third strike in fba libretro core, it runs full speed at 60 FPS on my Rpi2, even with a simple scanline shader, but when I activate overlay it drops at 48 FPS!
    My overlay is just basically an image, how can it have an impact on emulation performances?

Profile photo of proxycell
    proxycell
    Participant

because it is liking engaging the gfx processing to simply display that image. it isn’t just loading up an image like your web browser does. its creating a video service most likely and using that to display that image. the size of the image and resolution of the output is like a contributing factor here

thats how 🙂

Profile photo of bazola
    bazola
    Participant

Okay, I had no idea how that worked, thanks a lot.
    Guess i’ll have to wait for a Pi with a better GPU then…

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

Forums are currently read only - please visit the new RetroPie forums at https://retropie.org.uk/forums/

Skip to toolbar