I’m seeing a lot of posts around here with controller issues, and some which have great resolutions by helpful community members. I’m experiencing a rather odd issue, at the moment it seems limited to the Retroarch / Snes emulation.
I have tried the old plug and play and of course that didnt work, this is testing the snes emulation with several different roms from different sources. I have manually overwritten every retroarch.cfg and snes9x.cfg file I can find, and followed every youtube video and topic in this section of the forums on this. I’ve used the jstest and the gamepad is responsive, it registers just fine.
I have used the built in retroarch configuration tool for joysticks, I’ve changed permissions left right and centre, rebuilt the image a few time too from the distribution on this website and gone through steps over and over again.
After 4-5 hours of head and wall interaction I began to think it was the emulator so here is where I am. Unplugging and replugging the USB gamepad in and out registers in the emulator in yellow text at the right location (of course the gamepad works in the emulatorstation UI) – so I plugged in a keyboard and went ahead and used the F1 retroarch menu, after some digging in there I found the key binding wizard. I followed this and it seemed to be fine, i was even navigating the retroarch settings menu using the gamepad. However, the moment I went back to the game/rom in the Snes emulator it would hardly work if at all, as if the bindings were dropped or mixed up.
[EDIT: I’ve also updated the base system, all the retropie binaries and script, as well as the emulation station.]
I hope someone has come across the same issue as me and might have further steps I can try.
Alternatively if I find a solution before the community does I will be sure to share what I have.
Thanks for reading this wall of text and heres an obligatory TL;DR
TL;DR: USB Controller wont work in roms, works elsewhere, help 🙂