Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Author
    Participant

Hey guys,
    I just updated the binaries to the 3.0 beta, and now MAME doesnt work at all. For other systems, I have the option of choosing what emulator to use from the menu (pressing x or m during rom boot), but not for MAME roms. Before the update, I was using the whatever was the default emulator and all my MAME games were working flawlessly before. Any ideas for fixes?

petrockblog
    Keymaster

which mame ? mame4all/lr-imame4all or advancemame ? where have you put the rom files ?

ericahlers
    Participant

So it looks like it is defaulting to mame4all. In my previous setup, my mame roms were simply in the old default “mame” folder and everything worked fine.

EDIT: I moved the roms to the mame-advmame folder and some games appear to be working now. However, I had to reconfigure my setups, which was annoying. Additionally, in advance mame, is there a way to bind a button to exit the emulator? I set up the UI Cancel, but when you press that it causes a small menu to pop askign to “Continue” or “Quit.” I’d prefer the button to just exit out of the emulator and bypass that menu, if possible.

What emulator was the old mame folder using in 2.6, and is there anyway to use that setup?

petrockblog
    Keymaster

the old mame folder used to be used for mame4all. you now have 2 folders.

mame-mame4all (can be switched between mame4all or libretro imame4all)
    mame-advmame (can be switched between advancemame 0.94 and 1.2)

Can you be more specific regarding your issue. Are you saying the mame4all game launching is not working or ?

ericahlers
    Participant

I think the issue was that my roms remained in the older “mame” folder. I have gotten roms to work by placing them in the mame-advmame folder. I will try placing them in the mame-mame4all folder to see if that resolves my issue and takes me back to my previously working setup.

petrockblog
    Keymaster

yeh – you need to move roms to the new locations if upgrading. see https://www.petrockblock.com/forums/topic/retropie-3-0-beta-overview/#post-92865 for the new rom folder list.

ericahlers
    Participant

Thanks. I moved the roms. Mame4all doesnt work at all…won’t even load the roms. Says its missing a ton of files required for the roms to run. AdvanceMAME appears to be working, but I still have to figure out how to configure it to my liking.

Thanks.

petrockblog
    Keymaster

sounds like your romset isn’t correct for mame4all ? but perhaps the config is not right.. check the mame.cfg – should be symlinks from /opt/retropie/emulators/mame4all/mame.cfg -> /home/pi/dists/retropie-rpi/opt/retropie/configs/mame-mame4all/mame.cfg and should have the correct rom path in it.

I can’t help more without actual logfiles etc and so on though. errors when launching are logged to /tmp/runcommand.log

ericahlers
    Participant

So I was just going to run everything again to get the log files for you, and low and behold everything is working now – even with Mame4all. No idea what changed. But no complaints here. I’m just glad its working now.

Thanks for the help buzz. If the error ever pops up again, I’ll be sure to update this post with the proper log files to help look for a solution.

Anonymous
    Inactive

sudo chown -R pi ~/Retropie/roms/mame
    This worked for me. Adjust roms directory accordingly.

petrockblog
    Keymaster

the mame roms folder is not in use with the latest version – there is mame-mame4all and mame-advmame – nothing should be using the older mame folder.

Anonymous
    Inactive

It works for me. Used the image I downloaded from here for the pi 2 a few days ago. Using the thumb drive transfer method the system sets ownership to root for the transferred roms. If you take possession it works fine. I’ve tried it in all three directories, always said missing files until I chowned the roms. Regardless of the directory you have to take possession for it to work.

petrockblog
    Keymaster

then you are not running the 3.0beta image then? There is no “mame” folder in the latest version. The latest version of the usbromservice sets permissions correctly, if not it could be a bug or something else. But if you have a working “mame” folder, then it looks as though you are not up to date.

Anonymous
    Inactive

Oops. Reading comprehension fail.

Anonymous
    Inactive

I’ve started a fresh install of the beta 3.0 and have played around with it for an hour. Mame works fine. Can I get dgen back? It allows me to use f9 to enter Game genie cheats! Also having problems getting sound through hdmi, and psx doesn’t seem as smooth as it was. Other than that, all’s well.

kmhamel
    Participant

Ok, I put all my mame roms in the mame-mame4allfile. These roms are for mame4all and worked under 2.6. They all fail.

Here is what is in the log file:

(process:2795): GLib-CRITICAL **: g_key_file_free: assertion ‘key_file != NULL’ failed

If I go under ‘m’ and pick lr-imame4all the rom will run. If I switch back to mame4all it will fail.

any ideas?

kmhamel
    Participant

bump

anybody? buzz?

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • The forum ‘Everything else related to the RetroPie Project’ is closed to new topics and replies.