Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author
    Participant

@zigurana

One idea to improve Emulationstation I had, and this may not be possible or be a low priority, is the ability to randomly select a game. The option could either appear at the top of each systems gamelist or be something available when pressing Select when in any system’s list of games.

zigurana
    Participant

@robertybob: I like the idea, this is the easiest to implement on a gamelist level (so not across systems). I could add a menu item like SURPISE ME that would launch either
    1) a random game
    2) a random game from those that were never played before
    3) the least played game / game played longest time ago.
    What do you think would be best?
    A mix of those options should be possible as well, so go wild!

robertybob
    Participant

[quote=112037] @robertybob: I like the idea, this is the easiest to implement on a gamelist level (so not across systems). I could add a menu item like SURPISE ME that would launch either
    1) a random game
    [/quote]

I’d go with this one, personally :) Although I also like the idea of “discovering” as yet unplayed games.. I’ll be interested to find out what others think (!).

Could it be possible to hide the ‘random’ option if it’s something the developers don’t want shown by default?

zigurana
    Participant

[quote=112040]
    Could it be possible to hide the ‘random’ option if it’s something the developers don’t want shown by default?
    [/quote]

Ehm, as I see it, *we* are the developers right now for this feature. That is the beauty of open source! :)

That said – I think it is important not to create a christmas tree of menu-items and only show options that people will actually use. So the way this goes is: someone creates a new feature/option and people try it out. If it turns out no-one uses it, it should be removed from the (default) UI. It is easy enough to introduce a settings item to show/hide some additional features.

InsecureSpike
    Participant

I like this, maybe I can find some new fave games!

great idea!

robertybob
    Participant

[quote=112048]

Ehm, as I see it, *we* are the developers right now for this feature. That is the beauty of open source! :)

That said – I think it is important not to create a christmas tree of menu-items and only show options that people will actually use. So the way this goes is: someone creates a new feature/option and people try it out. If it turns out no-one uses it, it should be removed from the (default) UI. It is easy enough to introduce a settings item to show/hide some additional features.

[/quote]

Sounds great!

Other ideas I’ve had:

Change: Favorite, Kidgame and Hidden from On/Off to Yes/No in the Edit Metadata menu, makes more sense to me .

If this PR actually works, could this be implemented? I must admit I rarely use the scraper, only for systems not yet supported by the awewsome Sselph’s Scraper, however when I do I get fed up of having to sit there and press A when it can’t find any artwork. I’d rather get it over and done with and then browse the games and see which couldn’t be found.

Bit of a bigger change – I know there’s now a way of having background music playing, but I think it would be great to be able to select it from the Sound Settings menu. Perhaps a user could put MP3s (or whatever the supported file type is) into a designated folder within the EmulationStation folder on their SD card, then have the option to cycle through them. Wouldn’t be a case of one piece of music per system (like I think you can do with RecallBox), but this would play continuously while browsing through all systems and would only stop once a game is loaded.
    e.g. Background Music: None > File A > File B etc.

tronkyfran
    Participant

I ve got two BIG and possibly compicated suggestions.
    I’d líke to choose the opacity of the white bar on the system selección screen, or being capable to hide it.

And the second and superdifficult would be dynamically loading the background images in system select, and game art in game selection. I dont even know if this last one is possible, but I would like to test “some” theme without having a white screen of death,hehehe!!!
    These two could be at the end of your list,but please consider it!!!! :D

gizmo98
    Participant

@zigurana
    I would like to move some options out of the retropie menu.
    -set audio port
    -show ip address
    -move retropie menu to settings menu and launch some scripts

I had the idea to add a menu item like this:

#ifdef _RPI_
    			// audio port
    			auto audio_port_behavior = std::make_shared< OptionListComponent<std::string> >(mWindow, "TRANSITION STYLE", false);
    			std::vector<std::string> audio_port;
    			audio_port.push_back("AUTO");
    			audio_port.push_back("HDMI");
    			audio_port.push_back("AUDIO JACK");
    			for(auto it = audio_port.begin(); it != audio_port.end(); it++)
    				audio_port_behavior->add(*it, *it, Settings::getInstance()->getString("AudioPort") == *it);
    			s->addWithLabel("AUDIO PORT", screensaver_behavior);
    			s->addSaveFunc([audio_port_behavior] { Settings::getInstance()->setString("AudioPort", audio_port_behavior->getSelected()); });
    #endif

I was to lazy to run “amixer cget=3” and pipe and rework the output somehow (i dislike c string handling) to check if output is auto/hdmi/jack and set audio output with “amixer cset numid=3 0-2” and “alsactl store”.

https://github.com/RetroPie/RetroPie-Setup/blob/master/scriptmodules/supplementary/audiosettings.sh

InsecureSpike
    Participant

i only noticed this post after i posted mine….. heres a link!

robertybob
    Participant
    Anonymous
    Inactive

I’m not sure this ES only but it seems the majority of retropie user fall in 2 camps. Those that build arcades with game controller/Pads and those that build traditional joystick and Happ buttons. Would it be possible to have a setup option to choose which one and have the program take inputs from IPAC or other control and plug those values into retroarch.cfg from the get go. This would greatly simplify 2 controller or joystick setup for non program types

Steve

zigurana
    Participant

[quote=112040]

@robertybob: I like the idea, this is the easiest to implement on a gamelist level (so not across systems). I could add a menu item like SURPISE ME that would launch either
    1) a random game

I’d go with this one, personally :) Although I also like the idea of “discovering” as yet unplayed games.. I’ll be interested to find out what others think (!).

[/quote]

See: https://www.petrockblock.com/forums/topic/kid-friendly-retropiees-ui-modes-favorites-hiding-items-s-testers-wanted/page/2/#post-115616

zigurana
    Participant

[quote=112709]More sorting options
    https://github.com/jgeumlek/EmulationStation-tweaked/commit/1f63858cf10e67646172f8f9bbadc502e923c34d
    https://github.com/jgeumlek/EmulationStation-tweaked/commit/fd38659536fbe147fea58a2ade1f49fda3aadc52

[/quote]

Regarding these two:
    They only really work once we have made the jump to a proper DB for ES, rather then the xml lists.
    This was somewhat prepared by the great Aloshi, but I never got it to work. Seems that jgeumlek has, so I will give that a go and test it at some point. He/she has a lot (loads really) of interesting commits, so I am very tempted to start merging…

In other words: someday maybe, but not soon.

robertybob
    Participant

Understood! :) Thanks for the update!

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • The forum ‘Ideas for Further Enhancements’ is closed to new topics and replies.