Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Participant

I haven’t been able to find a good solution for this yet, and most of the forum topics on sound issues seem to only deal with people who have no sound at all. The volume during almost all nes games will go from soft to loud and back again quite frequently. Anyone have a fix for this?

mooklepticon
    Participant

I’m having the same problem. I have it in both nes and snes. Nes is way worse though. On original Super Mario Brothers, it goes up in volume if I get coins or I’m in a dungeon level. Snes, playing Link to the Past, and I don’t see a pattern, it just changes chaotically.

mooklepticon
    Participant

To add, played The Legend of Zelda on NES this morning. There were 3 volume levels. 1) Overworld which was very quiet. 2) Dungeon, which was medium. 3) Game Over, which was piercingly loud.

Also, the transitions between these are not instantaneous, but gradual. It’s easier to notice in NES Super Mario. Get one coin and the volume won’t change much. Get about 10 coins and it’ll go up a medium amount. Get 20 coins and the volume is very loud.

Is there some sort of difference in how the sound is handled based on whether it’s a background music or a sound effect? I assume that those labels are mostly for us, not the machine. A sound is a sound to the speakers.

woodsy
    Participant

I’ve come across this volume issue as well for NES and SNES.

Problem was present for me with Raspian + binary script and Retropie V2.3 image. Also, changing some of the available audio configuration didn’t make any difference.

Running Turbo overclock. Everything other than audio volume consistency is great.

georgefeeney123
    Participant

Just figured it out for myself. It actually didn’t have anything to do with my Pi settings. It was the settings on my TV. Some newer TV’s have a truAudio or something similar. Basically what it does is monitor the audio output and adjusts accordingly if it gets too loud. It’s used for regular television programming to deal with loud commercials and the such. I have a Vizio and just turned this setting off in the audio options. Now, I get perfect sound from both NES and SNES. Hope this helps.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • The forum ‘Everything else related to the RetroPie Project’ is closed to new topics and replies.