Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    Participant

I Am useing WinSCP to try and edit the es_systems.cfg in /ect/emulationstation/ folder . But when i try to save the file with the new paths to my usb roms i get the below ? .

Permission denied.
    Error code: 3
    Error message from server: Permission denied

petrockblog
    Keymaster

you dont need to modify that to change path for roms – just bind mount your roms real location where it expects them – https://docs.1h.com/Bind_mounts

you are getting permissions denied as it’s a system config owned by root user – you would need to sudo to root to copy over it (or make it readable by other users)

dougie1970
    Participant

[quote=100511]you dont need to modify that to change path for roms – just bind mount your roms real location where it expects them – https://docs.1h.com/Bind_mounts

you are getting permissions denied as it’s a system config owned by root user – you would need to sudo to root to copy over it (or make it readable by other users)

[/quote]

Thanks buzz for the reply and makeing it readable by other users and what is the right way to do that ?

dougie1970
    Participant

ok i have used putty to find /ect/emulationstation/es_esystems.cfg file and when i edit the file then how do i save it ?

dougie1970
    Participant

not haveing much luck at this as every time i go to save the file it says no such file or Dictionary but nano lets me find the file but it just wont save after i edit it .

InsecureSpike
    Participant

i would edit it via a note pad on your PC/mac then drop it in the

/home/pi/.emulationstation folder then reboot

just remember to only edit/replace things when retropie has been quit and command line is seen on screen

dougie1970
    Participant

[quote=100535]i would edit it via a note pad on your PC/mac then drop it in the

/home/pi/.emulationstation folder then reboot

just remember to only edit/replace things when retropie has been quit and command line is seen on screen

[/quote]

thanks tried that but still not working as roms not showing up .

momaw27
    Participant

Hey Doug!

I use this setup for my system. All my ROMS are on a USB thumbdrive with my microSD card holding only my retropie/kodi system files.

I edit the es_systems.cfg file by Puttying in with:

sudo nano /etc/emulationstation/es_systems.cfg

I then make the necessary changes to the systems that need to look on the USB stick for roms.

My <file> syntax looks like this (for SNES anyway):

<file>/media/usb0/retropie/snes</file>

and then CNTL+X, ‘yes’, and then hit enter.

Of course on my USB drive I have, at root, a directory called retropie (which by the way is automatically created when USB service is turned on). And then inside retropie I have the various system folders – snes, nes, gba, etc…

One issue I had was when changing the directories in the es_systems.cfg file, I inadvertently left the default tilde (~) in the file path. The tilde tells retropie to start looking in the home directory on your SD card. Delete it and you’re good to go!

You may also want to double check where retropie thinks your USB drive is mounted. Mine happened to be at location usb0… but depending on what you have hooked up this could be anywhere between usb0-usb7.

Type:
    /media/usb0
    ls

If your retropie folder shows up then usb0 it is… if not, continue by pressing the UP arrow twice, delete the ‘0’ and type 1, hit enter, type ls. Continue changing the number at the end of usb until you find where your USB drive is mounted… but my guess in that it’s sitting at usb0.

Hope this helps!

momaw27

dougie1970
    Participant

[quote=100552]Hey Doug!

I use this setup for my system. All my ROMS are on a USB thumbdrive with my microSD card holding only my retropie/kodi system files.

I edit the es_systems.cfg file by Puttying in with:

sudo nano /etc/emulationstation/es_systems.cfg

I then make the necessary changes to the systems that need to look on the USB stick for roms.

My <file> syntax looks like this (for SNES anyway):

<file>/media/usb0/retropie/snes</file>

and then CNTL+X, ‘yes’, and then hit enter.

Of course on my USB drive I have, at root, a directory called retropie (which by the way is automatically created when USB service is turned on). And then inside retropie I have the various system folders – snes, nes, gba, etc…

One issue I had was when changing the directories in the es_systems.cfg file, I inadvertently left the default tilde (~) in the file path. The tilde tells retropie to start looking in the home directory on your SD card. Delete it and you’re good to go!

You may also want to double check where retropie thinks your USB drive is mounted. Mine happened to be at location usb0… but depending on what you have hooked up this could be anywhere between usb0-usb7.

Type:
    /media/usb0
    ls

If your retropie folder shows up then usb0 it is… if not, continue by pressing the UP arrow twice, delete the ‘0’ and type 1, hit enter, type ls. Continue changing the number at the end of usb until you find where your USB drive is mounted… but my guess in that it’s sitting at usb0.

Hope this helps!

momaw27

[/quote]

Thanks for your reply and i used putty but as before when i go to save the file it tells me no such file or Dictionary ? . i cant get my head around it and been trying as 2 days with no luck in getting the file saved .

dougie1970
    Participant

Thanks very much lads i have now got this sorted . the default tilde (~) in the path was causeing all the bother and when i took it out and droped es_systems.cfg in the /home/pi/.emulationstation folder it works .

thanks momaw27 and InsecureSpike as both of your posts helped me sort this .

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • The forum ‘New to RetroPie? Start Here!’ is closed to new topics and replies.