First of all, want to say thanks to petrockblog, aloshi, and everyone involved with this forum. the RetroPie is amazing (when it works) and it’s getting better every day.
Anyway, I just moved all my roms over to a USB flash drive. I finally learned how to make the pi automount the drive, and I pointed the es_systems.cfg to the right place so all the roms show up.
The problem is that the pi is listing all the roms in the directory first with a *__ in front of the file name. Then at the end of that list, all the correct file names show up. The ones with the *__ do not load, the ones without it do load. So I can deal with it for now but I don’t want all my roms showing up double, then having to scroll down to the correct ones in order to play games.
This only started happening when I used USB storage for the roms. Any ideas? it looks like these are showing up as hidden files in each directory, and the pi won’t let me delete them (using ssh)
Haven’t seen this problem show up anywhere else on this forum or on the net in general.
You can try deleting files using cmd, but for managing files I recommend FileZilla, it’s easy to set up and free…
If you can’t see the duplicated files, and if you scrapped the roms, try deleting gamelist.xml (make a backup first). If the games showed without this file are listed ok, there is a mistake in the file… I remember that if the directory listed on gamelist.xml was in uppercase like MAME, the games showed were not working. Try changing it to lowercase.
Thanks for the help motorhead. I logged back in via ssh to try to figure out if I’m logged in as root or not. I tried to delete one of the files again first, and it worked. So I’ve gone through and deleted all of them. (they were showing up as hidden files beginning with *__) Not sure why I couldn’t delete them before, but they’re gone now and everything is showing up correctly in emulationstation.
Your ideas about the gamelist.xml got me thinking though. I didn’t run es_scraper for this particular version of my gaming system because in the past it didnt rename everything correctly and I didn’t have time to go through and manually edit all the gamelist.xml files. So I dont think I have any gamelist.xml (doesn’t that only happen when you run es_scraper?) although none of my rom names are showing up with any underscores in emulationstation, even though I know the file name has it, so there’s gotta be some sort of gamelist.xml doing that right? I dont see it in my rom folders but I cant remember if that’s where they’d be.
anyway, its fixed now, working beautifully and I dont have storage space issues anymore thanks to the usb flash drive. I also haven’t had any sd card corruption even when the system freezes and I have to manually shut the power off. I was having a lot of issues with that when my roms and saves files were being stored on the sd card. I definitely recommend usb storage for roms, although it does take up one of your usb spots. but that can be solved by adding a powered usb hub or using a controller adapter where both controllers can hook into one usb port. there’s one on amazon for snes controllers that works great.