Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Participant

I want to mount the rom directory onto an external drive as some of the romps are large and I have only a small sd card.

So what I was thinking is find the SD cards /dev entry (i’ll assume here sdb)

First I need to backup the rom directory and then clear it out.
    Then run:
    sudo mount /dev/sdb1 /home/pi/RetroPie/roms

That will be for a test but to mount it every boot I think I need to edit the fstab:

/dev/sdb1 /home/pi/RetroPie/roms ext3 defaults 0 2
    Does this look right to those more familiar with Linux? :)

lilbud
    Participant

Move roms diretory to the usb drive, (so mnt or media, I believe.) And then go to es_systems.cfg and change rom location for each system to want on the usb drive.

Like this…

<Location>/media/usb#/roms/psx</Location>

I think that is right, My brain is not on yet. Good Luck

gonzothegreat
    Participant

a guide for this would be good!

epe9686518
    Participant

You can set it up as mnt or media for usb, as the flash drive will be located at either. If it’s set up as mnt, you have to set the pi to auto mnt a drive for you I believe, but in anycase it works nicely. I use a flash drive on some of my Pis, and a usb hdd on others, and whats nice about setting up your games in the mnt dir, is you can swap out a hdd with a flash card at any point and it will still read the games fine. If you only use media the HDDs wont show up under that from what I have seen. So you would be required to repoint ES to the roms folder under MNT… Basically if you set it up to read from mnt, both flash drives and usb hdds will be auto detected on boot and the games will load fine from either.

The easiest thing to do is simply movie your games to the usb flash drive, give it read/write permissions, and then point the emulationstation cfg to point to that new dir now for games…One thing I still do is I keep my saved games for all systems on the sd card, but store the roms for the bigger titles like PSX games on the flash drive/hdd. This seems to make things easier when it comes to saving/loading etc as sometimes its a bit hard to give the correct permissions to the flash drive/hdd to allow this to happen.

a guide for this would be good!

There are many…. One being stickyed on the top of the forum….

gonzothegreat
    Participant

yeah I’ve run from USB for ages, but I’m thinking of only having roms on there it’ll make things much easier & safer if I keep the file system on the sd card

epe9686518
    Participant

I always back-up my sd card and flash drive to an external hdd on my pc every time I make major changes to, just to be safe incase they ever get damaged or destroyed.

gonzothegreat
    Participant

yup i back up my sd card, but I’ve not found a good way of backing up my 128gb flash drive via mac.

epe9686518
    Participant

I just copy and past the folder structure onto my external hdd.

Anonymous
    Inactive

What I did after placing roms in the external usb drive on the raspberry pi, was to create symbolic links inside the ~/Retroarch/roms that points to the external drive. Didn’t change anything in the retropie config. It worked like a charm.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • The forum ‘Everything else related to the RetroPie Project’ is closed to new topics and replies.