RetroPie wont recognize ps3 controller unless ps button is hit before ES start

Welcome Page Forums RetroPie Project Everything else related to the RetroPie Project RetroPie wont recognize ps3 controller unless ps button is hit before ES start

This topic contains 1 reply, has 2 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of choccyhobnob choccyhobnob 1 year, 10 months ago.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of narp
    narp
    Participant

This is extremely frustrating. If the controller’s not on within the small window of time that I have between the BT dongle being on and ES starting, i have to input all the configs for it. Is there anyway for it to just forget about the inputs so I can turn on the controller whenever I want? Thanks!

Profile photo of choccyhobnob
    choccyhobnob
    Participant

I Edited /etc/emulationstation and replaced the code with this..

#!/bin/bash

es_bin="/opt/retropie/supplementary/emulationstation/emulationstation"

if [[ $(id -u) -eq 0 ]]; then
        echo "emulationstation should not be run as root. If you used 'sudo emulationstation' please run without sudo."
        exit 1
    fi

if [[ -n "$(pidof X)" ]]; then
        echo "X is running. Please shut down X in order to mitigate problems with loosing keyboard input. For example, logout from LXDE."
        exit 1
    fi

key=""

x=0

echo "Waiting up to 60 seconds for Joypad 1"
    while [ "$x" -lt 60 -a ! -e /dev/input/js0 ]; do
       x=$((x+1))
       sleep 1
    done
    if [ -e /dev/input/js0 ]
    then
       x=0
       echo "Joypad 1 Enabled :) Waiting up to 10 seconds for Joypad 2"
       while [ "$x" -lt 10 -a ! -e /dev/input/js1 ]; do
          x=$((x+1))
          sleep 1
       done
       if [ -e /dev/input/js1 ]
       then
           echo "Joypad 2 Enabled! Starting Emulationstation"
           $es_bin "$@"
       else
           echo "Joypad 2 not found"
           $es_bin "$@"
       fi
    else
       echo "Joypad 1 not found within time limit; Aborting!"
    fi

This makes retropie pause for up to 60 seconds for me to turn on my controller. If I don’t do it, it quits back to the bash prompt (if I don’t turn on a controller I probably don’t want to play games, I want to work on the config), if I do turn on a controller it waits up to a further 10 seconds for me to turn on a second controller, whether I turn a second controller on or not it will then start ES.

If I have finished playing with configs and just want to go into ES now, I can just type ‘exit’ and ES runs.

This could be improved to do something similar for 4 controllers and even make the “Turn on controller now” message a bit clearer. It comes up after the splash screen closes but isn’t clear from 10 feet away

Raspberry Pi 2 + Retropie3.2.1 + 2 x PS3 Wireless + Logitech K400

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

Forums are currently read only - please visit the new RetroPie forums at https://retropie.org.uk/forums/

Skip to toolbar