First, I just want to say thank you to sselph for all the hard work he’s put into his scraper utility. It’s a wonderful tool.
The output of his program is placed in the same folder as the roms being scraped. There is nothing wrong with this and it works perfectly fine in EmulationStation. Though if there’s anyone else like me, you may prefer to keep things compartmentalized and within the folder structure of RetroPie/Emulationstation. For various reasons, I’d prefer to keep the roms and the metadata separate from each other (call it OCD if you want :P).
So, I whipped up a script to appropriately edit and move the output of the scraper program to the EmulationStation folder structure. It began very simply just for myself as a way to automate the process, but I thought that perhaps others would be interested in the same thing, so I spent some time adding a bunch of stuff like error checking to make it more generic (I also added a ton of comments in case anyone not familiar with Bash scripting was interested in what’s going on).
To use it, first put it in the same folder as the scraper program. Unlike running the scraper tool on it’s own, you do not need to manually copy and run this from the rom folder – it can be run from anywhere, as long as it knows where to find the scraper executable.
Make sure the script is executable: chmod +x scraper_rpi.sh
Usage: scraper_rpi.sh system [-force]
The first argument, system, is required. It is used to specify which system rom folder you want to scrape – for example: snes/megadrive/pcengine/etc. If the folder has previously been scraped by the program alone (already contains the “gamelist.xml” file and “images” folder metadata), it will not be done again. Rather, the script will simply edit and move the currently existing data accordingly.
The second switch, -force, is optional. If specified, the program will always re-scrape the rom folder, whether it already contains metadata or not. In this case, ANY EXISTING METADATA WILL BE DELETED before the new scrape occurs.
Please note that this was written with RetroPie 2.3 in mind. If you are running an older version, some of the folder structures may be different. In this case, the script will fail, and you will need to edit the path variables at the top of the file – though I have added checks for this and it will warn you if this is the case.
Thanks again for your tool, sselph. Keep up the good work! 🙂