Viewing 35 posts - 106 through 140 (of 222 total)
  • Author
    Participant

Hi can you explain if you install the 3.5 jessie image how do you launch kodi from ES ?

Thanks

piewizard
    Participant

Hi can you explain if you install the 3.5 jessie image how do you launch kodi from ES ?

Thanks

[quote=115039]I’m just curious, what’s the advantage of using a dual boot setup for this, vs using the retropie Jessie image and installing Kodi to launch from ES?

[/quote]

darksavior
    Participant

And tonight marked my defeat in getting kodi with plexbmc working properly in 3.5. It’s really unstable so it’s quite useless to me. I’m really looking forward to a rasplex dualsetup now.

The rasplex/retropie link on the first page is gone..can you upload whatever you have ready? Thanks
    Edit: nevermind, found one from your youtube channel. Thanks:)

thompr2
    Participant

I just wanted to sign in and say a tremendous thank you to Smithers for this build. This is exactly what I had always been looking for to setup my media room, and you have made my boyhood dreams come true.

One thing I wanted to ask is whether anyone could assist me with settings adjustments that would allow me to control kodi with either my x-arcade tankstick or retro snes gamepad?

Thanks!

darksavior
    Participant

[quote=117539]I just wanted to sign in and say a tremendous thank you to Smithers for this build. This is exactly what I had always been looking for to setup my media room, and you have made my boyhood dreams come true.

One thing I wanted to ask is whether anyone could assist me with settings adjustments that would allow me to control kodi with either my x-arcade tankstick or retro snes gamepad?

Thanks!

[/quote]
    I’m not sure you can. I use Yatse for android. It’s a remote control app. Works fine on both kodi. Rasplex as well by editing event server to port 9778 in Yatse.

thompr2
    Participant

Thanks so much….

I suppose it is just simpler to keep my Rii keyboard plugged in for the time being… hopefully you might be able to answer my most recent question as well? despite running the gamelist Generator script, the metadata in emulationstation still has some extra text in parenthesis (like the U! or version number etc) Additionally, whats the best way to link that to the appropriate artwork files?

I am aware of sselph’s scraper through other threads, but wondered if there was a better alternative?

labelwhore
    Participant

[quote=117000]Hi can you explain if you install the 3.5 jessie image how do you launch kodi from ES ?

Thanks

I’m just curious, what’s the advantage of using a dual boot setup for this, vs using the retropie Jessie image and installing Kodi to launch from ES?

[/quote]

Install Kodi from the restropie_setup script, then launch it from the ports menu. Alternatively, you could create a kodi folder in the roms folder like any of the emulators, move the kodi launch script from ports into the new folder, then edit es_systems.cfg to add a kodi section. (the setup script may actually add the new section in ES for you now.)

smithers
    Participant

Hi.

In regards to controlling OpenELEC with anything other than a keyboard, it would probably be best to enter debugging mode in OpenELEC and then press the various keys you want to map in some sort of order you can follow then read the debug log file. This way you can see how the keys are being interpreted by OpenELEC (if at all), and then create a custom keymap for your device. I have done this with 2 different remotes that I own and some of the keys on there are really random – like ‘Left Windows Key’ where the menu button is labelled!? Strange.

Also – if you have a X-Arcade Tankstick then arent they just using keyboard encoders inside? If so then you’re laughing because you can map it as keyboard inputs, shouldnt be a problem.

As for the XML file generator – best way to use this is to have your image files in the same folder as your roms (and named the same to match each rom), then run it. It will link to the rom folder location and it would be fine to leave them there if you want OR you can move them to the .emulationsation/downloaded_images folder and just do a bulk rename to change the .xml file to reflect the new directory. Thats what I done. Also, I use the bulk rename to take out rom name tags too. Its time consuming but worth it in the end!

Regards.
    Steve

labelwhore
    Participant

[quote=117539]I just wanted to sign in and say a tremendous thank you to Smithers for this build. This is exactly what I had always been looking for to setup my media room, and you have made my boyhood dreams come true.

Thanks!

[/quote]

Kodi needs to be recompiled to work with joysticks. There is a sort of workaround for an xbox 360 controller, but it’s not as easy to use as an actual keyboard. I have no experience getting xboxdrv to work with a non-xbox controller, but I have heard that it’s possible.

Here’s a good place to start, there’s more info in the xboxdrv manual. https://github.com/retropie/RetroPie-Setup/wiki/Setting-up-the-XBox360-controller#alternate-controller-configurations

Edit: fixed the link

thompr2
    Participant

thanks to you all…. this is some fantastic information, and you are all a testament to what the community is all about….

Anonymous
    Inactive

How. Can I install this image but have kodi v16 jarvis?

thompr2
    Participant

Last question I assure you…. I am being notified of an available update to openelec. I assume I should be able to update this without an impact to my ability to switch between openelec and retropie?

msxer
    Participant

[quote=117996]Thanks so much….

I suppose it is just simpler to keep my Rii keyboard plugged in for the time being…
    [/quote]
    Why not use your smartphone to control Kodi? If you have an Android phone, Yatse is the perfect remote control app.

steviemac
    Participant

Thanks for the hard work Smithers!
    Do you or anyone else know if it’s possible to make a boot screen where you just choose Retro Pi or Kodi each time you turn on your Pi? I’ve looked into BerryBoot but that I can see there is no way to add your own Select screen/Ui.

You could still run it with this image being able to swap once you’re in RPi or Kodi but it just makes it nice to have a nice load screen where you choose left for Kodi & Right for RPi.

Thanks

Steve

jwesterman
    Participant

Basic question. What is the primary advantage of installing the dual boot image with Openelec on a separate partition rather than running the standard RetroPie image in a single partition and installing the port for KODI. Is it to avoid process contention or produce smoother playback? Thanks for any replies.

labelwhore
    Participant

I’m completely coming up empty on that. I asked the same question a couple of pages back, but it got ignored.

Personally, all I see is a disadvantage: restarting the pi to switch between kodi and retropie.

jwesterman
    Participant

Exactly. With the stock image, I don’t have to restart. If there’s a performance boost to not launching through Emulation Station to get into OpenElec (and rather forcing a full restart of my pi via the dual boot to clean launch Kodi) then for me a perf boost dual boot is worth having over the stock retropie sd image. I suppose I should drop into ssh and list out system resources. Playback using stock retropie ported Kodi is pretty solid. Just wondering if I can’t take advantage of some plug in’s or if there’s something more I’m missing.

Thanks for the reply.

testy
    Participant

@smithers – will we now see v9 or v10 with 3.6 and jarvis 16 final, this would be a nice treaty for all.

CHeers

steff0
    Participant

hello. is your package compatible with rpi3? i just bought one and wondering if it will work, it’s gonna take a week to be delivered.

also, are you planning to update with the new releases of openelec and retropie?

thanks!

keem85
    Participant

Hi!

Will there be a dual boot image for Retropie+OpenELEC with the new Raspberry Pi 3? I want to swap out my old RP2 with a new RP3.

K

smithers
    Participant

Hi.

I will be ordering my Pi3 in the next couple of days so will create a vanilla image using RetroPie 3.6 and OpenELEC 15.2 / 16. I’ll post a link soon as it’s ready.

As for “what is the advantage of a dual boot setup vs standard single partition setup” – well when I first made my dual boot setup it was the only way to guarantee a stable KODI experience by using OpenELEC rather than the Raspbian installer version of KODI (which had bugs at that time). You cannot install OpenELEC alongside RetroPie (as far as I know), so it has to be in its own partition. It makes for a rock solid KODI experience with a dedicated RetroPie partition with only it’s own filesystem layout and I can have a nice menu to be able to switch between the two OS’s seamlessly. It may not be for everyone, but for me it’s perfect. Its also the only way you can use Plex and RetroPie together (as far as I know). Not that I use Plex, but a lot of folk were looking for a solution to that.

Hope that answers your question! I guess If you’re having no issues with the Rasbian installer version of KODI then there’s no need for a dual boot build. I prefer OpenELEC so this is my only option. It was also a good Linux learning tool for me along the way!

All the best
    Steve

keem85
    Participant

[quote=119544]Hi.

I will be ordering my Pi3 in the next couple of days so will create a vanilla image using RetroPie 3.6 and OpenELEC 15.2 / 16. I’ll post a link soon as it’s ready.

As for “what is the advantage of a dual boot setup vs standard single partition setup” – well when I first made my dual boot setup it was the only way to guarantee a stable KODI experience by using OpenELEC rather than the Raspbian installer version of KODI (which had bugs at that time). You cannot install OpenELEC alongside RetroPie (as far as I know), so it has to be in its own partition. It makes for a rock solid KODI experience with a dedicated RetroPie partition with only it’s own filesystem layout and I can have a nice menu to be able to switch between the two OS’s seamlessly. It may not be for everyone, but for me it’s perfect. Its also the only way you can use Plex and RetroPie together (as far as I know). Not that I use Plex, but a lot of folk were looking for a solution to that.

Hope that answers your question! I guess If you’re having no issues with the Rasbian installer version of KODI then there’s no need for a dual boot build. I prefer OpenELEC so this is my only option. It was also a good Linux learning tool for me along the way!

All the best
    Steve

[/quote]

Thanks for your reply! Do you know a good way for me to backup my Retropie and OpenELEC from RP2 and over to RP3 once it’s done?.. Which folder in Retropie and OpenELEC can I backup from my current setup?

And where will you post your link? :) Thanks!! (Hoping it will be Jarvis. It supports AirPlay on iOS 9 it seems)

mameshane
    Participant

Hi,

thanks for the image file. i have been wanting to do this for ages.

i having an issue with the roms appearing in the ‘combined arcade menu’ i have added roms into imame4all, advmame and pifba. and roms appear in those menu items. (i end up with 2 classic arcade menus) but they dont appear under the arcade one.

also no artwork is appearing for any roms?

any help would be appreciated.

thanks

smithers
    Participant

[quote=119549]
    Thanks for your reply! Do you know a good way for me to backup my Retropie and OpenELEC from RP2 and over to RP3 once it’s done?.. Which folder in Retropie and OpenELEC can I backup from my current setup?

And where will you post your link? :) Thanks!! (Hoping it will be Jarvis. It supports AirPlay on iOS 9 it seems)

[/quote]
    Hi.

Backing up OpenELEC is very easy in that all you need to copy from the Pi is the ‘.kodi’ folder found at:

/storage/.kodi

Everything inside that folder holds your add-on and skin settings etc. so you just need to copy it over to your new build and you’re done.

All that being said though – if you already have a Pi2 setup then you just need to update your distro and it will add Pi3 support, so you may not need to worry about starting all over again. Worth a try anyway!

keem85
    Participant

[quote=119576]
    All that being said though – if you already have a Pi2 setup then you just need to update your distro and it will add Pi3 support, so you may not need to worry about starting all over again. Worth a try anyway!

[/quote]

Cool.. I will try that.. But what do I do with my RP2 overclock setting “config.txt”? It’s set up with RP2 overclocking settings.. I want it to be properly configured for RP3 when I boot it up :).

Your duaboot image is the best I’ve ever tried by the way. I would never go back to running Kodi on Raspbian via Retropie. The performance difference is like night and day!

smithers
    Participant

[quote=119592] what do I do with my RP2 overclock setting “config.txt”? It’s set up with RP2 overclocking settings.. I want it to be properly configured for RP3 when I boot it up :). [/quote]

All you need to do there is comment all the overclocking lines out using a # symbol at the start of each line, and then it will boot into the standard clock settings for the device it detects (Pi2 or Pi3). Or you could dabble with Pi3 overclocking values of course but I don’t know what they are so can’t advise until I get one to play with myself!

[quote=119592]
    Your duaboot image is the best I’ve ever tried by the way. I would never go back to running Kodi on Raspbian via Retropie. The performance difference is like night and day!

[/quote]

Thanks! I find it very stable and great performance too but like I said above I haven’t tried the Raspbian installer version of KODI in a long time so wasn’t sure if that was now as good as OpenELEC or not. Personally I prefer to have OpenELEC regardless and keep its own filesystem setup etc. It makes it easier to work with when its on its own partition and there’s no chance of one OS affecting the other.

[quote=119553]Hi,

thanks for the image file. i have been wanting to do this for ages.

i having an issue with the roms appearing in the ‘combined arcade menu’ i have added roms into imame4all, advmame and pifba. and roms appear in those menu items. (i end up with 2 classic arcade menus) but they dont appear under the arcade one.

also no artwork is appearing for any roms?

any help would be appreciated.

thanks

[/quote]

Hmm I’m not sure what could be wrong as it works at my end? Can I check you are using ‘.zip’ files for the roms? I’m guessing you must be as that is standard format (and they are appearing when placed in the other folders). I see that one of the recent changes to RetroPie incorporates an ‘Arcade’ rom folder as standard now so maybe my folder clashes with it (if you have updated RetroPie)? Not sure but I guess the issue will be eradicated when I use the latest version of RetroPie on my next dual boot build.

*Edit* – Ahh just realised as I pressed ‘submit’ – it sounds like you haven’t put the rom files into the /home/pi/RetroPie/roms/arcade folder, am I right? I made it so you had the option of using the separate folders as normal (ie mame4all, lr-mame etc), OR use the /arcade/ folder as a catch-all for every arcade system. You need to place the roms files into that folder before the ‘Arcade’ menu appears in Emulation Station, and you will also see screenshots appear (but bare in mind there will be a number of games that are not yet screenshotted due to the new versions of MAME now included that weren’t out when I originally made my image).

Hope this makes sense and Im not barking up the wrong tree but it sounds like that is where the issue is.

Cheers.
    Steve

donovan
    Participant

Hi,

Just to tell you smithers, great setup you have done.
    I have a question, I’m curious how you did the dual boot, do you have a procedure on how to do the dual boot

Thank you :)

smithers
    Participant

[quote=119622]Hi,

Just to tell you smithers, great setup you have done.
    I have a question, I’m curious how you did the dual boot, do you have a procedure on how to do the dual boot

Thank you :)

[/quote]

Thanks! I have full intentions on creating a guide on how to make these, I’m just currently looking for some reasonabley priced web hosting so I can create a blog style page to share it on (and also to host my builds on). Its not a majorly hard process really, just very time consuming!

steff0
    Participant

thank you steve. can’t wait for that. i will receive my rpi3 this week and looking forward for your great system.

greetings from sicily (my name is Stefano, italian for Steve :D)

candyluv
    Participant

Hi Smithers,
    Great to hear from you again. U been missed. I’m still using the triple boot image (retropie 3.2, kodi 15.2 and raspbian) which is still great.
    Will you still be releasing a new triple boot and how soon. Seem like I’ve been waiting forever lol.
    Glad you are still with us and keep up the great work.

mameshane
    Participant

Hmm I’m not sure what could be wrong as it works at my end? Can I check you are using ‘.zip’ files for the roms? I’m guessing you must be as that is standard format (and they are appearing when placed in the other folders). I see that one of the recent changes to RetroPie incorporates an ‘Arcade’ rom folder as standard now so maybe my folder clashes with it (if you have updated RetroPie)? Not sure but I guess the issue will be eradicated when I use the latest version of RetroPie on my next dual boot build.

*Edit* – Ahh just realised as I pressed ‘submit’ – it sounds like you haven’t put the rom files into the /home/pi/RetroPie/roms/arcade folder, am I right? I made it so you had the option of using the separate folders as normal (ie mame4all, lr-mame etc), OR use the /arcade/ folder as a catch-all for every arcade system. You need to place the roms files into that folder before the ‘Arcade’ menu appears in Emulation Station, and you will also see screenshots appear (but bare in mind there will be a number of games that are not yet screenshotted due to the new versions of MAME now included that weren’t out when I originally made my image).

Hope this makes sense and Im not barking up the wrong tree but it sounds like that is where the issue is.

Cheers.
    Steve

this was the case. thankyou, im still not getting any images show though :( i will have to have more of a look tonight because i think i may have stuffed something up along the way, as i keep getting an error message now loading a mame rom using mame4all emulator.

yanivano
    Participant

Hi Smithers,

I’m a new Rpi user and just got my Rpi 3 today! :-)
    After going through this topic, I’m really looking forward to your dual boot image for the Rpi 3, hope it’s working out ok for you.

Cheers,
    Yannick

mameshane
    Participant

roms are loading fine again now.
    i cant figure out why images arent loading though. i put roms in the arcade folder. or in the mame folder and they still dont work. :(
    the defaults for the other systems seem to work fine though.

smithers
    Participant

I received my Pi3 in the post today so I should be able to get a new (vanilla) build out this weekend based on v3.6 and OpenELEC 6.0.3 Isengard (and a Jarvis build if desired?). I have also took the plunge and bought some web space so I can host the files myself (for those who were having issues with my prev links). I have no web building skills or knowledge at all however so this will be a learning curve but I’m enjoying it so far!

On the subject of the Pi3 – does the memory card slot no longer click the card into place? Mine just seems to slot in with no ‘click’ and it makes it a swine to get out without being spring-loaded. The card works fine, just was expecting a spring-loaded design like the previous Pi(s) had?

Anyway – I will share a link soon as it’s ready!

All the best.
    Steve

steff0
    Participant

That’s great. I confirm, rpi3 has no click microsd slot. If you need any help with the website let me know. I suggest you using a very simple cms like WordPress to create your website. If you need any help I can help you. Retropie 3.6 and openelec 6.0.3 is perfect. Previous versions of openelec won’t work with the integrated rpi3 WiFi

Viewing 35 posts - 106 through 140 (of 222 total)
  • The forum ‘New to RetroPie? Start Here!’ is closed to new topics and replies.