Viewing 35 posts - 1 through 35 (of 222 total)
  • Author
    Participant

Hi.

Its been a while since I made a new build, for various reasons (main one being I bought a new laptop and had a pig of a time getting Linux to work on it!! grrr!!), but eventually, I am ready to upload some new builds!

I have taken a different approach, so not to spam the forum with a different thread per build, I will be uploading all my builds into this one thread. So without further ado, here are the links:

RetroPie / OpenELEC (KODI)

* V8 – RetroPie v3.2.1 & OpenELEC v6 (KODI v15.2 Isengard)

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BzXFP_d3CHStN2dLc0tOSVdVRkE/view?usp=sharing

RetroPie / OSMC (KODI)

* v8 – RetroPie v3.2.1 & OSMC v2015.10.1

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BzXFP_d3CHStRUZjc1VQSmFtZUU/view?usp=sharing

RetroPie / Rasplex

* v8 – RetroPie v3.2.1 & Rasplex (more info when it is ready for upload – this is just a placeholder!)

I will update this post with any new additions / changes as necessary.

Hope you enjoy – please let me know that it works ok!

All the best.
    Steve

smithers
    Participant

Some notes on v8:

# RetroPie

* Updated RetroPie to v3.2.1 (fresh install)

* Added a few more games to Ports: – OpenTTD (finally got it working!)
    – OpenTyrian
    – Super Mario War
    – SuperTux

* Created a ‘Power’ menu so you no longer need to shut down / reboot
    via ‘Start>Quit>Shutdown’ (so you can disable the ‘Start’ button function
    in Emulation Station to make it child proof!)

* Added menu items to enable / disable the new power menu

* Added the option to always boot into KODI (you MUST use my new power menu
    for this to work).

* Themed the new RetroPie Settings items

# KODI

* I will no longer be providing any pre-installed ‘addons’ in my builds

* OSMC – created a white ‘RetroPie’ logo for the home menu

smithers
    Participant

How to change partition sizes

In my builds I normally allocate the majority of space to RetroPie and a small-ish partition to KODI (around 2GB). This works for me but may not work for you, so here is how you can specify your own partition sizes.

This *must* be done prior to installing the image – once installed you cannot change partition sizes.

Ok, so once you have downloaded and extracted the image you want to go straight into the ‘NOOBS Files’ folder, then into the ‘os’ folder. In here you will find the folders that contain the installation files per OS. Lets say you wanted to change RetroPie so it no longer uses the majority of the SD card and instead you wanted OSMC to use the majority. Take the following steps:

– Open the ‘RetroPie’ folder
    – Open the ‘partitions.json’ file in a text editor. It will look like this:

{
      "partitions": [
        {
          "label": "BOOT",
          "filesystem_type": "FAT",
          "partition_size_nominal": 57,
          "want_maximised": false,
          "uncompressed_tarball_size": 20
        },
        {
          "label": "retropie",
          "filesystem_type": "ext4",
          "partition_size_nominal": 3000,
          "want_maximised": true,
          "mkfs_options": "-O ^huge_file",
          "uncompressed_tarball_size": 1601
        }
      ]
    }

The layout above shows the partition info for both the boot partition and the storage partition for RetroPie. Do not amend the ‘boot’ partition – this needs to stay as-is, but as you can see, the ‘want_maximised’ is set to ‘true’ on the storage partition (labelled ‘retropie’). This means that NOOBS will allocate all free space to this partition, so if OSMC is set to allocate 2GB in total then RetroPie would be allocated around 30GB when using a 32GB card (it would be a bit less than that in the real world, but you get the principal). First thing to do is change ‘want_maximised’ to ‘false’ and then set a value (in MB) in the ‘partition_size_nominal’ field. You can see I have set it as 3000MB, ie ~3GB – change this to 6000 for 6GB for example, then save and exit the file.

Now leave the RetroPie directory and enter the ‘OSMC_Pi2_Dual-Boot’ folder and again, open the ‘partitions.json’ file in a text editor. It will look like this:

{
        "partitions": [
            {
                "label": "boot-rbp2",
                "filesystem_type": "FAT",
                "partition_size_nominal": 80,
                "mkfs_options": "-F32",
                "uncompressed_tarball_size": 18
            },
            {
                "label": "root-rbp2",
                "filesystem_type": "ext4",
                "partition_size_nominal": 1200,
                "uncompressed_tarball_size": 533,
                "mkfs_options": "-F -I 256 -E stride=2,stripe-width=1024,nodiscard -b 4096"
            }
        ]
    }

The boot partition (boot-rbp2) must bot be changed, only the ‘root-rbp2’ partition which is the storage partition. As you can see the root partition is set to ‘want_maximised: false’ – change this to ‘true’ and save the file. You don’t need to specify a different ‘partition_size_nominal’ size if ‘want_maximised’ is set to true.

Now NOOBS will allocate your specified partition size to the RetroPie partition and the rest of the space will be awarded to the OSMC partition.

The principle is the same for any os – KODI, Rasplex etc. – so you can use this method on any to change partition sizes, just remember not to change the boot partitions!!!

Hope this makes sense – good luck!

Steve

herbfargus

Out of curiosity with openttd do you have it running from the terminal or was x necessary? If it runs from the terminal do you think there is any chance of adding it to retropie as a module?

smithers
    Participant

[quote=110470]Out of curiosity with openttd do you have it running from the terminal or was x necessary? If it runs from the terminal do you think there is any chance of adding it to retropie as a module?

[/quote]

Hi Herb. It runs from the terminal, I haven’t installed X in this build. I was having a ton of issues trying to get it to work, always receiving the ‘unable to initiate graphics’ message (or something similar), and then I finally realised my mistake…. I was trying to run it via SSH. As soon as I tried it on the Pi itself it worked like a charm! So yes, I think it should be possible to add into RetroPie as an installable port.

herbfargus

Did you build from source or did you install the binary?

herbfargus

just for reference I made a module, I am going to see if I can sort out the graphics and sound stuff.

#!/usr/bin/env bash

# This file is part of The RetroPie Project
    #
    # The RetroPie Project is the legal property of its developers, whose names are
    # too numerous to list here. Please refer to the COPYRIGHT.md file distributed with this source.
    #
    # See the LICENSE.md file at the top-level directory of this distribution and
    # at https://raw.githubusercontent.com/RetroPie/RetroPie-Setup/master/LICENSE.md
    #

rp_module_id="openttd"
    rp_module_desc="Open Source Simulator Based On Transport Tycoon Deluxe"
    rp_module_menus="4+"
    rp_module_flags="nobin"

function install_openttd() {
        aptInstall openttd
    }

function configure_openttd() {
        mkRomDir "ports"

addPort "$md_id" "openttd" "openttd" "openttd"
    }
    candyluv
    Participant

Will there be a new triple build as well??

quantum-hero
    Participant

Thanks for the builds Steve.

bugg
    Participant

Hello, just wondering. Is it safe to say that this build has gotten to big for an 8GB sd card? Also i am new to this and was wondering what was the purpose of the USB drive? I have an 8GB sd card and when i click on both its says needed disk space 8221 MB and available 7428 MB, my USB is 64GB if it makes a difference. Would it be possible to just boot from my USB? Thanks any info and help would be greatly appreciated.

jinetesombra
    Participant

Hi,
    please can you build a image that we can use in 8gb sd card? i have no problem if the image only have de stock openelec and retropie. I have seen the similar request in other coments on youtube videos.

skullmonkey
    Participant

There is a new skin Aeon Nox 5: SiLVO, and some modding is needed for the menu since it reset all previous menus from Aeon Nox 5 skin.

candyluv
    Participant

[quote=110913]Hi,
    please can you build a image that we can use in 8gb sd card? i have no problem if the image only have de stock openelec and retropie. I have seen the similar request in other coments on youtube videos.

[/quote]

This build can fit on an 8GB card. It is openelec Without Addons so it is stock. You may just have to adjust the partition size given to both openelec and retropie.

jinetesombra
    Participant

[quote=110934]

Hi,

This build can fit on an 8GB card. It is openelec Without Addons so it is stock. You may just have to adjust the partition size given to both openelec and retropie.

[/quote]

Not really, I have two sd card kingstong that they says 8gb but in practice they only have 7,40 gb when i copy the files and runs the raspberry 1gb is for installers and 6,40gb is for install all things but noobs says that needs around 7,5 gb for free space,

and i am sorry if my english is not good

smithers
    Participant

Hi. Sorry for the delay in replying. Haven’t had much time of late to come on here! :s

So firstly, my latest images will fit on a 8gb card, however to acheive this you should be using the ‘USB Method’, ie copying the installeion files to your USB flash drive instead of your memory card. Read my readme file for full instructions.

Candyluv – yes, a Triple-Boot is on the to-do list! ;)

Skullmonkey – I do mention not to change the skin in my readme file! Do you need instructions on how to add the RetroPie script back in?

Herb – I used the ‘apt-get’ version of TTD, however I see you have now added it to the RetroPie setup script..cool. :)

candyluv
    Participant

[quote=110962]Hi. Sorry for the delay in replying. Haven’t had much time of late to come on here! :s

So firstly, my latest images will fit on a 8gb card, however to acheive this you should be using the ‘USB Method’, ie copying the installeion files to your USB flash drive instead of your memory card. Read my readme file for full instructions.

Candyluv – yes, a Triple-Boot is on the to-do list! ?

Skullmonkey – I do mention not to change the skin in my readme file! Do you need instructions on how to add the RetroPie script back in?

Herb – I used the ‘apt-get’ version of TTD, however I see you have now added it to the RetroPie setup script..cool. :)

[/quote]

That’s great news smithers. Can’t wait for that triple boot.
    I use the usb method to install on the sd card and that so save you over 1GB of space on the card.

candyluv
    Participant

[quote=110952]

Hi,

Not really, I have two sd card kingstong that they says 8gb but in practice they only have 7,40 gb when i copy the files and runs the raspberry 1gb is for installers and 6,40gb is for install all things but noobs says that needs around 7,5 gb for free space,

and i am sorry if my english is not good

[/quote]

What you need to do is from the “NOOBS Files folder” Place the “OS” folder in the root of a USB flash drive and the rest of files in that folder in the root of the micro card and install it that way. You will have over 1GB extra space on the micro card.
    Hope that helps.

jinetesombra
    Participant

[quote=110966]So firstly, my latest images will fit on a 8gb card, however to acheive this you should be using the ‘USB Metho[/quote]

Thanks smithers i read all readme and I used the usb Method, and all at this moment work fine, i dont need now to have 2 sd card for recreation and i can use my second sd card for other projects.

jinetesombra
    Participant

[quote=111012]

So firstly, my latest images will fit on a 8gb card, however to acheive this you should be using the ‘USB Metho

Thanks smithers i read all readme and I used the usb Method, and all at this moment work fine, i dont need now to have 2 sd card for recreation and i can use my second sd card for other projects.

[/quote]

Thanks, I did that, now all works fine.

milas
    Participant

Hi.
    THX for the great project. I’m totally NOOB in RPi and linux based things. I read a lot about this project and watched some Youtube things maked by the author. I’m interested about V8 – RetroPie v3.2.1 & OpenELEC v6 (KODI v15.2 Isengard) and i install it on my 16 GB sd card regardless of readme file included (10 time or more ;) My PI is model is B+ V1.2 and the question is what i’m doing wrong (pic. atached) Maybe i don’t understand basics my pi when runing retropie from this project stucks like that. it is possible to run ready emulationstation or i must type by my self commands. Pleas answer or give me somekind of link to read about that.

After boot RetroPie

milas
    Participant

Problem solved :)

ferdnand
    Participant

Hello Smithers, Keep up the great work. I have a few issues with some of my arcade roms not working.. But not that big of a deal… just wrong rom set i’m sure..

I was wanting you and others know that i have your dual boot image v8 on a 64-gig sd card.. I think this will be helpful for people wanting to get a bigger sd card for there Smithers Dual Boot image v8.

Here is the link if i can put it here. The file is HPusbDisk formatter.

http://filehippo.com/download_hp_usb_disk_storage_format_tool/

Hope this helps.. Also i like the ability to hit a key while loading a rom to select different features like video size,different emulator for that paticular rom,

when i try to play DonPachi the whole screen is fipped upside down. but if i use a different emualtor for that rom it works.. Just can’t make the video larger with it..

Need help to bring up the menu for Advance Mame , to fine tune the emulator to my liking.. Any help getting my Galaga rom working will be muchly appreciated.. thanks.

grizzlema
    Participant

Smithers,

I have been using your multi-boots for awhile and smashed your V7 retropi/openelec/rasplex together on a 64GB card and have been going to town. Today my Rasplex image decided that it was no longer going to work correctly due to the /storage partition filling up with thumbnail pictures. Just some food for thought when allocating how much space you give to your next rasplex build.

Mike

candyluv
    Participant

[quote=111601]Smithers,

I have been using your multi-boots for awhile and smashed your V7 retropi/openelec/rasplex together on a 64GB card and have been going to town. Today my Rasplex image decided that it was no longer going to work correctly due to the /storage partition filling up with thumbnail pictures. Just some food for thought when allocating how much space you give to your next rasplex build.

Mike

[/quote]

Hi,
    Actually no size allocation adjustments is needed on smither’s side. The build is made easy for the end user to make adjustments to the locations themselves before install, since everyone may require something differently.Institutions is also given on how to do so on this page.

candyluv
    Participant

I been trying to get the snes controller to work in n64 but can’t seem to get it working.I’ve tried playing around with the configs but always end up having to do over the image. It works in the main menu but not in the n64 games. Is there a way to rectify this problem, also I would like “start+select” as exit.
    I would very much appreciate any assistance.
    Also, what are some CHEAP alternative that can play with all the emulators and easy to setup (auto if possible)?? Both USB and Wireless options.

Thanks in advance.

grizzlema
    Participant

Oh, i have already solved the issue when i updated my triple boot system with V8 of retropie. There were talks on the previous dual boot pages since Smithers didnt have very much experience with Rasplex. I am currently running a 64GB samsung evo with V8 Retropie/Openelec/Rasplex in a customized Nintendo case. Ive added in the other Wolfenstein packs to retropi and its great. I am still working on getting my bluetooth controllers to recognize properly when playing Wolf, but it works flawlessly with a USB controller.

tracer
    Participant

firstly thanks for the great multiboot image, i use retropie/osmc and i like the way it boots straight in to the last one used, with the option to switch across.

the osmc skin shows the link for retropie in games menu, if you choose the confluence skin then the link was not so obvious, i guess its still there somewhere.

i use ps3 dualshock wireless controller and it is very straightforward to setup in retropie and works great for all games i have tried so far. however i have never got it to work in kodi on pi2 (tried osmc, openelec)

i use hdmi-cec for kodi so that i can use the tv remote to control menus, it works great straight away with no setup but i cannot get it to work in retropie.

therein lies the problem, whilst it makes sense to use a gamepad for retropie and a remote for kodi, it would be really great if they would both controllers would work in either kodi or retropie.

lets say i boot up and the default is retropie but i am actually wanting to use kodi to watch a film, then i have to use the gamepad to select kodi from menu then switch across to the tv remote once kodi boots, not a big deal but a bit clunky.

any tips on getting ps3 dualshock to work in kodi or hdmicec in retropie would be appreciated, its bugging me :)

piface3000
    Participant

Hello Smithers, thank you very much for all your hard work on this project, its just what I’ve been looking for. Everything works flawlessly on V8 for me, I would however prefer to have the metadata and smaller artwork for the roms could you please tell me how I would go about putting it back to default Please.

jcrowley30
    Participant

I have tried to get this boot multiple times. I am using a 64 gb card and have tried the instructions both ways and just get a red and green light on my pie when I plug it in. Can anyone offer any advice on how to get this done? I would really appreciate it. I would love if someone could make an image that I could put on it.

candyluv
    Participant

Hi,
    Maybe if you can say exactly how you tried to do it we can better have an understanding on what the problem may be.

grizzlema
    Participant

[quote=111959]I have tried to get this boot multiple times. I am using a 64 gb card and have tried the instructions both ways and just get a red and green light on my pie when I plug it in. Can anyone offer any advice on how to get this done? I would really appreciate it. I would love if someone could make an image that I could put on it.

[/quote]

Make sure before you put the noobs files on the card that its formatted in FAT32, typically larger cards when formatted will be exFAT.

i use the SDFormatter program to do a full(erase) and use the format size adjustment. then use a program called guiformat-x64 to format the card to FAT32. you could use cmdline but i am lazy, and using windows on my primary computer.

jcrowley30
    Participant

Hi,
    Maybe if you can say exactly how you tried to do it we can better have an understanding on what the problem may be.

I followed the instructions formatting the card using SD formatter 4, unzipped the files onto the SD card which was around 1gb, then tried to boot up. I only get red and green lights on and nothing else.
    I then tried formatting again and unzipping everything including the Zip and tar files and had the same result. Is there a video of anyone going through the process?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

candyluv
    Participant

[quote=112029]

Hi,

I followed the instructions formatting the card using SD formatter 4, unzipped the files onto the SD card which was around 1gb, then tried to boot up. I only get red and green lights on and nothing else.
    I then tried formatting again and unzipping everything including the Zip and tar files and had the same result. Is there a video of anyone going through the process?

[/quote]

Hi,
    Ok it is most likely because the format of your SD card is incorrect. As the previous person said, any card larger than 32GB get formatted to exFAT even if using sdFormatter and your card needs to be formatted to Fat32.
    1)Format card using “SDFormatter” making sure you click on options and turn “ON” format size adjustment.
    2)Format your card again using “guiformat (fat32 formatter)” 32bit or 64bit (my experience they both work the same so anyone will do).
    3) Proceed to follow the instructions given by smither.

Hope that helps.

jcrowley30
    Participant

[quote=111959]I have tried to get this boot multiple times. I am using a 64 gb card and have tried the instructions both ways and just get a red and green light on my pie when I plug it in. Can anyone offer any advice on how to get this done? I would really appreciate it. I would love if someone could make an image that I could put on it.

[/quote]

Make sure before you put the noobs files on the card that its formatted in FAT32, typically larger cards when formatted will be exFAT.

i use the SDFormatter program to do a full(erase) and use the format size adjustment. then use a program called guiformat-x64 to format the card to FAT32. you could use cmdline but i am lazy, and using windows on my primary computer.

This worked perfectly. Thank you very much.

kevinsilhouette
    Participant

Thanks so much for this script, it’s made OSMC+RetroPI amazing without having a Keyboard and Mouse to switch partitions!

Viewing 35 posts - 1 through 35 (of 222 total)
  • The forum ‘New to RetroPie? Start Here!’ is closed to new topics and replies.