Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Participant

Hi – I’m running a Raspberry Pi 2 with Retropie 3.2. Updated/upgraded all software. When playing, I’m receiving about 50-100ms of input lag, which makes NES/SNES/Genesis/etc games unplayable.

Running on a Samsung LCDTV with “Game Mode” on – which reduces the refresh rate to ~2ms. Never had an issue with any other systems running on game mode – Xbox One, 360, Wii U. This appears to be isolated to the Retropie setup. Any tips on decreasing input lag? Using wired USB controllers.

zigurana
    Participant

Just out of curiosity, how do you measure the input lag?

sjo102784
    Participant

Measurement was just a guess as to the exact amount of delay. I have an A/V receiver that can toggle A/V sync lag to sync A/V depending on source output, so I tried to use my best judgement of the input lag based on that experience.

I actually found the solution after changing some Rpi config settings. To anyone else looking for a solution to slight input lag (was killing my ability to play emulators), with a Raspberry Pi 2 B model, I set the video_hard_sync to “true” and the frame rate delay to 10 (option right under the video_hard_sync option in retroarch.cfg, directory is /opt/retropie/configs/all if I remember correctly).

It should be noted that this config change didn’t exactly solve my issue – with a medium overclock at 900 Mhz and with each overclock beyond, I was getting increasing input lag. At no overclock (700 Mhz) I was lag free, but performance suffered. The final solution to the input lag issue was the config changes listed above AND overclocking to 800 Mhz. Those settings combined made for a basically perfect no lag input…making platformers/etc very playable on an LCD TV.

So it seems to come down to a combination of what type of TV you have along with overclocking and Raspberry Pi config settings as well.

petrockblog
    Keymaster

video_hard_sync is unused on the RPI.

petrockblog
    Keymaster

you might want to try changing the video_threaded setting to false which could improve input lag.

petrockblog
    Keymaster

If you are getting more lag when overclocking, you might want to check your PSU/USB Cable. Perhaps you have power supply issues causing this.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • The forum ‘Video Output on RetroPie’ is closed to new topics and replies.