petrockblock.com – Fun Stuff for Technics Enthusiasts › Forums › RetroPie Project › Everything else related to the RetroPie Project › RETROPIE FIRST SETUP TIPS AND GENERAL HINTS AND TIPS!!
HarisGuest07/16/2014 at 11:17Post count: 908
Through my procedure of setup i managed to write down some things while taking notes. So here are some hints and tips on several things:)
RETROPIE SETUP AND HINTS AND TIPS:
ONCE THE FIRST INSTALL OF THE LATEST IMAGE IS DONE:
1) If not done update your Pi
– sudo apt-get update
– sudo apt-get upgrade -y
2) Type sudo raspi-config to:
– enable expand disk size
– overclocking options (if needed)
3) To enter the RetroPie setup
From here i choose 4 (Update retropie setup script), 1 (Binaries based installation) & 3 (Setup). In option 3 i choose 321 (Install ps3 controller driver) and i follow on screen instructions
4) To change pswd (so as to have full permissions on my retropie folders) from ssh:
pi, raspberry (initial username/pass) i write:
and i enter a new pasword e.g 1234567
From now on i can ssh retropie with
username: root @ pass: 1234567
5) Dont forget to change fba2x.cfg (ps3 joystick controls of FinalBurn) with the one i upload, by placing the cfg file in:
6) ΒΙΟS files should go:
ΝΕΟGEO bios should be placed in 3 places !!
===> opt/retropie/emulators/gngeo-pi-0.85/gngeo and in
home/pi/RetroPie/roms/fba and in
7) How to change aspect ratio in specific emulators? (like GBC, ATARI2600)
Each emulator has a retroarch.cfg file that will override the main config file in the all directory. To edit it, you can use the command
sudo nano /opt/retropie/configs/atari2600/retroarch.cfg (ATARI2600)
sudo nano /opt/retropie/configs/gbc/retroarch.cfg (GBC)
For Atari 2600, I added the line below and saved the file.
video_aspect_ratio = 0.83 or 1.11 (you may choose)
8) In order to play mame roms dont forget to change in mame.cfg the rom path or replace it with the one i upload
9) How to have mame4all controls working with PS3 wireless controller. It may work with wired controllers too (thanks to dudleydes)
Here are the steps to get your PS3 controller working with mame4all:
1. Replace your copy of minimal.cpp with my copy. Copy can also be found here (http://blog.petrockblock.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/07/minimal.txt – just rename txt to cpp)
The path is /opt/retropie/emulators/mame4all-pi/src/rpi/
2. Recompile by running the commands below from the terminal on the Pi or via ssh on a desktop.
This step took me about 2-3 hours.
3. Your PS3 controller will work but you may need to configure certain actions by using TAB.
Uploaded files needed : LINK REMOVED (see http://blog.petrockblock.com/forums/topic/forum-rules-on-posting-in-regards-to-romsgame-images/)
ThanksArnaudGuest07/16/2014 at 16:34Post count: 908
Very instrumental, thanksvividParticipant07/17/2014 at 03:14Post count: 13
I can’t seem to get FBa working with NeoGeo roms. It loads up a rom and then goes to a black screen. The only one that relatively worked was metal slug but that only had audio and a blue screen which looked like the color of the sky in the game.
I followed your steps above and copied the neogeo.zip file to the 3 locations but I still get the same black screen.
Is there something I’m missing?HarisGuest07/17/2014 at 14:30Post count: 908
Maybe you got a wrong bios file? Have y checked?vividParticipant07/19/2014 at 03:38Post count: 13
I got a BIOS file .zip that has many different BIOS files on it along with other files. I tried taking out all the BIOS files and using the newest one but that didn’t work, pifba just booted to a black screen and then I tried taking out all those extra files and that also didn’t work and pifba just booted to a black screen again.
So far I’ve only gotten 2 games to play and that’s King of Fighters ’94 and metal Slug 5(or something like there there’s so many Metal Slugs I don’t remember which one worked).
I tried looking up what BIOS to use and if there should be any other files included with it but I had no luck in finding any information.
Is there a specific BIOS that is known to work with pifba?petrockblogKeymaster07/19/2014 at 10:52Post count: 1828HarisGuest07/19/2014 at 20:11Post count: 908
Vivid try this :abarto74Participant11/03/2014 at 15:50Post count: 1
Hi, I have done everything you said but neogeo and mame it dont work.
I think its my neogeo bios file. Your link (2shared.com) dont work , can you re-send your neogeo bios files please ?
(and just to be shure, where do you put the neo geo roms files exactely ?)
sorry for my english…;)
hank you for all the tips !
Forums are currently read only - please visit the new RetroPie forums at https://retropie.org.uk/forums/