Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)
  • Author
    Participant

I was wondering if for retropie 4, (or 3.1 or whatever) could there be a first boot setup like with most devices, like it would guide you through setting up wifi, controllers, etc. in a nice gui, and a gui for everything else, downloading new cores, controller configs, boot screens. what does everybody else think?

herbfargus

its in the plans for the future- probably won’t be a point release of 3 but once we do finally get to 4 I’m hoping something like that can be implemented.

Probably wont be a pretty gui- it will still be a dialog gui.

petrockblog
    Keymaster

I’m not sure I think we need to necessarily have a pre-boot config – and many of these things are already available directly from within emulationstation. Switching theme / splash / configuring wifi / controllers etc.

I may move towards splitting out everything so not everything is installed by default, and some emulators can be optionally installed later but it doesn’t need to run on first boot imho.

gonzothegreat
    Participant

i’d kinda prefere to be able to set some of the stuff up my self, it adds to the fun of it all, imho

chito
    Participant

I think if you can add this it would be great for newbies… even add a step maybe where the user can select which systems they want along with either the default emulator or the one of their choice…

the files can already be on the image (instead of compiling or downloading) and it just deletes what the user doesn’t want. and if they chose to add after that step then it downloads since it wouldve been deleted. this could also setup es_systems.cfg etc

I just wish the update via script had an option to also do house keeping like deleting unused folders etc and moving files to new folders if the new setup uses new paths. Hate having to download a new image and the copy everything over and set everything up again

petrockblog
    Keymaster

retropie-setup already does delete some old / unused folders in many cases where paths change, but in cases where those folders may contain configuration files, it doesn’t as that would not be helpful.

neighbourhoodnerd
    Participant

I think the big one would be a first-run flag that makes Retropie expand the partitions automatically. Nothing confuses a newbie more easily than adding 1-2 ROMs and then running out of space… ;)

robertybob
    Participant

[quote=111034]I think the big one would be a first-run flag that makes Retropie expand the partitions automatically. Nothing confuses a newbie more easily than adding 1-2 ROMs and then running out of space… ?

[/quote]

+1 for this idea. Is there any reason why anyone wouldn’t want to expand the filesystem?

theicebolt
    Participant

Just booted RP3.3.1RPI2 – from a class10 8Gb SanDisk

4 usb sockets – 1 x keyboard, 1 x 16Gb stick, 1 x 80211.n dongle, 1 x Bluetooth (PS3 controller) – mouse must replace wifi – use RJ45 WLAN

auto detecting on boot – usb media and auto-mounting media/usb –
    and running the roms from usb.
    ( sorry if this is done already – I’m looking how to do it, reason for visit )

a menu item that shows your controller in-test – like windows used to do.

force_hdmi=1
    LCD ( with touch screen ) to use as either a keyboard/controller, or ‘tweak console menu’ in-game.
    LCD ( w/o touch support ) – map – statistics
    no LCD – run as-is.

Sorry if I’ve re-suggested ideas that have been covered before, or are in development, but from first run you have to find the answers you seek.

Thank you all that contribute to this. It’s great ! And all the best for 2016 !!!

labelwhore
    Participant

As long as it’s optional. I’m using this as an opportunity to teach myself more about Linux, so I kind of like doing the leg work.

ivanretrobit
    Participant

i honestly like doing that stuff on my own its helped me learn my way around linux. One thing i would like is to be able to delete roms from the menu if its not already implemented- idk how to do it lol

rdhanded2
    Participant

[quote=113961]i honestly like doing that stuff on my own its helped me learn my way around linux. One thing i would like is to be able to delete roms from the menu if its not already implemented- idk how to do it lol

[/quote]

You can already. Edit metadate and delete

ivanretrobit
    Participant

With your USB controller? Or do you have to SSH in to delete them? How would i go about this im not familiar with editing the metadate

webhead
    Participant

well for arguments sake lets have an auto setup for a newb like me who knows nothing about Linux and for all you moany pros a none configured version where you have to setup absolutely everything that will teach you lol.

herbfargus

Just gives you the opportunity to learn new things just as the pi foundation intended ;)

rdhanded2
    Participant

[quote=114658]well for arguments sake lets have an auto setup for a newb like me who knows nothing about Linux and for all you moany pros a none configured version where you have to setup absolutely everything that will teach you lol.

[/quote]

With your usb controller. Hit select (I think. Maybe Start. Not in front of my retropie setup), edit metadata, delete. No SSH or anything needed.

webhead
    Participant

no I think its trying to keep something so nobody can use it unless you’ve used Linux for years , that is like snobbery and trying to make it an exclusive piece of software or your make people who are good at it charge people to set it up and that goes on already .

if you want more people to use it then auto setup is better for noobs like me , but im the voice of reason and there’s one thing in life I’ve learnt is that humans have no reasoning a lot of the times but you keep it exclusive then something else will come along better I guarantee.

software is like a whore its easily forgotten

jeffdamann
    Participant

Lol webhead none of this is hard to do, if you would spend just a tiny amount of time to figure it out, just like everything else in life, it would be nothing.

Are there automatic shoe lace tie ers? Or did you learn to do that yourself?

Do we have hoverchairs carrying us around since we were infants? Or did we learn to walk?

It really isnt hard at all webhead. If you think it is you should try to set up hyperspin or a retroarch build on pc that isnt already configured for you.

These guys have already done a ton of work making it extremely user friendly. Keeping it exclusive would be making you compile everything yourself from terminal on a stock build of raspbian. As it stands now you basically drag and drop roms, run an auto scraper, pick some stuff with a keypress, and boom its set up. How much easier do you want it?

herbfargus

I and a few others spend a good portion of our free time working to make retropie better (you have me to thank for almost all the documentation. You’re welcome) and if you would take a second to read the documentation you could have your pi set up in under an hour. On top of all the work we do (in our free time for free) we give it to you for free.

You could try some gratitude and be grateful the pi (and retropie project) is giving you an opportunity to learn new things. The pi was never designed to be an easy out of the box solution. The whole reason it was invented was so that people could learn how to use Linux and program. If anything we’ve done people a disservice by making it so easy.

If you want an easy out of the box solution you are better off looking somewhere else (and if so be prepared to spend a bunch of money).

And for the record I’d never touched linux I my life prior to a year ago, and if we wanted exclusivity we would not have made retropie free nor opensourced our code.

lilbud
    Participant

All I am doing is putting forth some ideas for the next iteration of retropie, I never said it was difficult to use.

jeffdamann
    Participant

lilbud he was talking to webhead, who was being very disrespectful, your comments have been very constructive.

rdhanded2
    Participant

Man, compared to just a few versions ago it is mostly automated. It is staggering to me to see how far retropie has come in the last year in terms of ease of use. I feel new users are too lucky!

I am always astounded by people who want to have gaming setups but refuse to do any legwork. I have been active in Hyperspin for several years and you want to talk about a beast to setup if you are new, it takes the cake. But the payoff is worth it and that is why the community grows there and why the community grows here, so that people can help one another and learn and pass along suggestions and ideas. It is easy to get frustrated but try not to take it out on the people here who are here to help you on their time and for free.

I always tell people if you are unwilling or unable to set one up then go buy them, they are out there in abundance. Or, get an original xbox and run coinops. As long as the xbox is modded, coinops works as soon as you install it. No real setup needed.

hobbswon
    Participant

[quote=114706]
    If anything we’ve done people a disservice by making it so easy.
    [/quote]

Yea, I’d have to agree with this.

The extent of my work on a linux command line, before diving into Retropie, was limited to trying to install dual boot Ubuntu on my Win7 box years ago and I bailed on following through with it.

With this, I’ve learned how to navigate the file system and a few basic commands but nothing extraordinary. There is a ton of documentation and a lot of it is just following directions.

I do hope I learn myself some low level scripting. I’d like to, at some point, be able to tailor some source code for my specifications. There’s definitely a level of satisfaction breaking through certain stumbling blocks to get a rig operating.

hobbswon
    Participant

[quote=114792]Man, compared to just a few versions ago it is mostly automated. It is staggering to me to see how far retropie has come in the last year in terms of ease of use. I feel new users are too lucky!

I am always astounded by people who want to have gaming setups but refuse to do any legwork. I have been active in Hyperspin for several years and you want to talk about a beast to setup if you are new, it takes the cake. But the payoff is worth it and that is why the community grows there and why the community grows here, so that people can help one another and learn and pass along suggestions and ideas. It is easy to get frustrated but try not to take it out on the people here who are here to help you on their time and for free.

I always tell people if you are unwilling or unable to set one up then go buy them, they are out there in abundance. Or, get an original xbox and run coinops. As long as the xbox is modded, coinops works as soon as you install it. No real setup needed.

[/quote]

I am surprised that so many people find Hyperspin so difficult to configure. Maybe it’s just because working in a windows environment is much more comfotable for me.

I don’t know how much Hyperspin has changed but last I remembered..it was relatively easy. All the emulator configurations were on a single XML file and no more than 2 lines of code at most.

I do remember the biggest PITA with Hyperspin was the naming convention of the rom database.

webhead
    Participant

hey I didn’t say it wasnt that hard or anything you see read my post your a human you have no reasoning already your putting words in my mouth and on to other people now your trying to argue and make out lime im a monster you see the voice of reason soon went when you didn’t like what I said , if your not going to listen to a user of this software then you shouldn’t have a thread asking people for there opinion as you might not like what they put , yes I can spend my life working out how to use stuff and I have but im old I haven’t got the time like most people we just want it to work out the box so to speak which it pretty much does.
    and I wasn’t being disrespectful where did I do that?????

and this is what I was talking about you see humans don’t listen wont listen cant listen that’s why even me typing this is waisting my life away , still enjoy your mockery of me don’t listen don’t make the software better for noobs I don’t care really why would I ,not like I invented it.

shoothere
    Participant

For me I was most impressed by how everything is pretty much made to work “out of the box” (Libretro helps a LOT!) but also Bluetooth setup and generally fiddling with settings but these are mostly for optimization.

Getting the home consoles to run with a mainstream joypad requires little to no adjustments.

I do find that an auto-expanding of the filesystem might be welcome (I know it is easy to do but it is what seems to get a lot of users stumped). Or is there a reason not to do that? I, myself, use dedicated SDs for each purpose.

I guess the main issue is that a lot of people are used to the “uber polished” emulators on windows which already have all the work done for them (such as network, disk/storage, resolution and obviously an over-capacity in power).

I can say I enjoy the fiddling. Just a shame when hours are wasted on a bug that cannot be solved but hey, thats all part of the game!

There is something to say for it being “easier to set up” but I always view that people who buy a Raspberry Pi, take the trouble to install this software and wish to make it work as a dedicated gaming machine (or even purchase controllers for this purpose) are sort of looking for an adventure anyway. I know, for a fact, I should not meddle in the hardware/GPIO stuff and am steering well clear of that but getting a setup working is very satisfying. Even more so when you can show it off to your friends!

It seems most of the problems arise with people not following the setup guide, deviating from the standard procedures or using hardware which isn’t 100% guaranteed working.

All in all I <3 Retropie, it is exactly what I have been looking for for many years and the “effort” to set it up gives me something to do during the weekends.

Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)
  • The forum ‘Ideas for Further Enhancements’ is closed to new topics and replies.