Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Participant

Greetings to all,

I have been tinkering with my Pi and the RetroPi project for the past four days. Though plauged with setbacks (ranging to a defecctive board to lack of drivers), I have plowed through. This issue, however, really has me stumped.

Long story short, I have two controllers (Logitec F310’s) hooked up to my Pi. They both function and respond perfectly in EmulationStation, and are responsive in and actual emulation run. However, their button mappings are really strange, for example: in the SNES emulator, I’m trying to play Hagane. Left moves left, but also attacks, B and Y dont do anything, down pauses the game AND crouches – it’s a mess. However, after setting theinput_enable_hotkey line in one of the .cfg files to nul, I got the f1 key to work.

YES. I can now remap the controllers per emulator, and it works when I map it and then continue to play – but after rebooting, it looses the new and improved controller map and reverts back to the old, buggy one!! Any help would be amazing, I have been trying to get this thing to work for the past couple of hours, but I havent found a definative answer across any forum or board.

rwaqif
    Participant

New update!

Further testing it out with the SNES emulator, since it seems to be the most obvious culprit. I set up the new configurations and hit save, and it saves somewhere in /opt/retropie/configs/snes… or so it says. After exiting to the emulator and entering back into the SNES emulator, the control map switches back. After looking in the actual folder, I’ve noticed that the file itself is nowhere to be found – it’s like it writes, but doesnt save. Could it be a permissions error? Will anyone ever even read this post?? Profit???

rwaqif
    Participant

Update AGAIN!

So, at this point I’ve figured out that all I need to do is rename the new and improved controllermap file libretero-2.cgf to retroarch.cfg so that it can just recognize that as the default one.

Now how to rename a file via terminal… I cant seem to access any of the needed files via WinSCP so I’m trying out PuTTY to see if that works. Keep up!

rwaqif
    Participant

Final Update:
    I cant believe I managed to solve this on my own. Who wouldve known the Pi was such a great teaching tool!

Anywho, here is the solution for myself and anyone else who may be stumped about this.

Basically, whenever you manage to open up RetroArch with the F1 hotkey/whatever hotkey you set and whenever you remap everything through it, it will save a .cfg file to /otp/retropie/configs/all. (From what I noticed, depending on which emulator you chose, the filename will be different, so the filename I am using has come from the SNES emulator). My particular file went something along the lines of libretro-1.cfg, and I made a second, more optimized verison which covers both 1p and 2p and, after clicking save, it was saved in the same directory under the filename libretro-2.cfg. You’ll know when it saves. It will show up on sccreen.

Now, exit back to EmulationStation and then hit F4. Once you are jacked into the matrix terminal, type cd /opt/retropie/configs/all. It should see that directory. Type ls to view all of the files in there, just as a refresher.

Now, we must rename and overwrite retroarch.cfg!

I used this to find out how to do that, and I’ll explain it here too: http://www.cyberciti.biz/faq/linux-rename-file/

Anywho, just type in the following, replacing the [] with the name of your file. DO NOT LEAVE THE BRACKETS IN THERE, ITS JUST FOR SHOW OVER HERE. NO BRACKETS ANYWHERE IN THIS LINE OF CODE.
    mv [yourfilename.cfg] retroarch.cfg

thats it! it should work across all emulators, so set it right the first time and, if needed, edit it and then go back and “mv” it out again. Cant believe I could find such a simple solution to this!

*protip: with my Logitec F310’s, I managed to set the center Logitec button to toggle the RetroArch menu in case if i needed to speed-change something or if I needed to simply exit the emulator. If you have a similar controller, try it out!

jazman23
    Participant

did you ever come across an issue where it would save the libretro config but it would be blank? all mine seem to be blank :(

jazman23
    Participant

scrap my above post, seems to be writing now…

rwaqif
    Participant

Nope, havent had any issues since. I still havent really figured out how to configure exactly to each specific emulator, but it doesnt really matter to me as the control schemes all work on each emulator. How’d you fix yours?

ceuse
    Participant

[quote=91092]Nope, havent had any issues since. I still havent really figured out how to configure exactly to each specific emulator, but it doesnt really matter to me as the control schemes all work on each emulator. How’d you fix yours?[/quote]

Under /otp/retropie/configs/ there are emulator specific folders which will overwrite the configuration in the all folder if put there.

also some Emulators (like GBA and N64) wont use the Retroarch.cfg at all. so you have to configure thos eseperatly anyway.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • The forum ‘Everything else related to the RetroPie Project’ is closed to new topics and replies.