Resolution problems in games

This topic contains 2 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  tune 3 years, 3 months ago.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author

tune
    Participant

I have some quite weird problems with resolution. When I start raspberry pi retropie loads nicely with correct resolution (800×600) that I set in config.txt but when I start NES or SNES game resolution is higher (returns to correct resolution if I exit the game). But if I press F4 in the EmulationStation and type “sudo reboot” I notice that after reboot ES and game resolution is good (800×600).

I have added/modified this to /boot/config.txt :
    hdmi_force_hotplug=1
    hdmi_group=2
    hdmi_mode=9
    hdmi_force_mode=9

I have also tried modifying config.txt lines regarding display settings but the lines above seems to be about the only configuration that I can get correct resolution after reboot.

When I start a game without rebooting I get a text saying (this goes away if I reboot before running a game):
    “Powering on HDMI with explicit settings (CEA mode 4)”

How to make this work? That resolution might otherwise be ok but I have a old flat screen display with maximum resolution of 800×600 (I have no image with that HDMI setup that game normally starts) connected with HDMI to VGA adapter.

I have tried modifying a lot of settings and files to try to make it run correctly but so far this is the best setting I have found and it is not good enough to have to manually reboot every time.

Thanks for the help!

trimmtrabb
    Participant

Edit es_systems.cfg:

sudo nano /etc/emulationstation/es_systems.cfg

Navigate to the emulator you wish to modify and change runcommand.sh to 2. This will preserve the resolution you have set.

If you have found the solution to your problem please mark the topic as resolved.

tune
    Participant

Thank you! That worked perfectly.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

Forums are currently read only - please visit the new RetroPie forums at https://retropie.org.uk/forums/