Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    Participant

The pi 3 has been out for a few days now and i’m not sure where to look around to see if anyone’s tested how well retropie runs on it (since from what i’ve gathered it’s not fully updated yet) and i’m also wondering for those who have gotten it to work: has anyone properly tested n64 and psx? i think this is really the only thing holding me back from purchasing the new pi. if it’s found that these systems play better than on the rpi2, i’d gladly upgrade.

Karoi
    Participant

I will try to capture this tomorrow. Will update.

MRKane
    Participant

That’s my primary interest also – and while much of it does come down to the emulators themselves I’d expect performance would be improved as Mupen shares much of the load at least :)

malacai
    Participant

psx works both flav on a a rpi2 and a rpi3
    n64 not that good in either system. but atm no emu is using the benefit of the new cpu.

shoothere
    Participant

As malacai said:

Overclocking the Pi2 to Pi2 setting made PSX games run pretty much flawlessly for me.

N64 is not so much a speed issue as an optimisation issue. If you turn down the resolution to 640×480/VGA the games getting that nice retro fuzzy look :) and also run rather smooth.

To check which emulator is best to use for which game (if it works at all) check this list:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1Wjzbu90l6eCEW1w6ar9NtfyDBQrSPILQL5MbRSpYSzw/edit

Hope this helps!

tboheeren
    Participant

You can check the performance for both your systems on:

machtroid
    Participant

I would also be interested to know how the Super FX SNES games run. Even when I overclock my Pi2 I still get slowdown with these. For example, in world 1-1 in Yoshi’s Island when I go down into the underground section there is always slowdown.

malacai
    Participant

if you overclock the fx on snes under core settings Yoshi’s Island runs almost 100% on a rpi2
    on rpi3 it runs super, havent played that long. but works real good the time i played

Soullous
    Participant

I just swapped out my Pi 2 for my Pi 3. I haven’t tried too much yet, but I ran a few N64 games and they run a bit smoother than they did on my overclocked Pi 2. Nothing earth shattering, though. Still have to fiddle with the rendering engines to find the one that works best for each game, and there are still certain spots in certain games with major slowdowns (mainly cutscenes). I’ve also set the resolution to 320×240 for all N64 games. I have yet to mess with any overclock settings on the Pi 3.

I also played through World 1-1 of Yoshi’s Island, and it appeared to run flawlessly.

I never had issues with PSX games on the Pi 2, (granted, I haven’t played many of them) so haven’t bothered testing them on the Pi 3, since I’m assuming they’ll run just as well.

retroresolution
    Participant

I’ve just set up RetroPie 3 on a new Pi 3.

I’ve overclocked the Arm to 1300, and the sdram to 500. Whilst it is stable, in a stress test running all four cores it hits 82 degrees c and throttles back (I’ve been reading that the SoC heat output varies wildly on the Pu 3, with one report that fully and overclocked to 1500 it is only hitting 60c…)

As the emulators all appear to be single-threaded the heat-thrittling isn’t an issue, so far

PlayStation emulation is excellent even with enhanced resolution output.

N64 emulation is a different matter; using mupen64plus (non-libretro) on an overclocked Pi 2, on RetroPie 2.6, Mario 64 is flawless, Mario Kart is 95‰, although most other titles are very rough.

On RetroPie 3.6 on Pi 3, Mario 64 is fine, Mario Kart seems worse. I hoped GoldenEye would be playable, but it seems worse if any thing.

It appears that the renderers are outputting much higher resolution visuals than before, even when the resolution is set to 320×200, and the framebuffer set accordingly.
    I’ve tried various all three plugins, but don’t seem able to match the performance of the older, slower, system on the new setup.

Any hints on how to configure n64 on RetroPie 3, on a Pi 3 will be gratefully received – I’m new to Retropie 3.x, having stuck with 2.6 since last May, and perhaps I’ve missed some fundamentals.

In case it’s significant, I installed RetroPie on top of Noobs Raspbian (updated and upgraded), as I intended to multi-boot with Osmc.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • The forum ‘Everything else related to the RetroPie Project’ is closed to new topics and replies.