PS1 Multi-Disc game compression

Welcome Page Forums RetroPie Project New to RetroPie? Start Here! PS1 Multi-Disc game compression

This topic contains 3 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of xd3l xd3l 1 year, 5 months ago.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Posts
  • #112989
    Profile photo of mikeveli20
    mikeveli20
    Participant

    When using PSX2PSP for compressing a multi-disc game (or a single disc game for that matter) into a PBP file, is there any performance hit when playing on the Pi 2 as opposed to using the original BIN/CUE? I would think since the PBP file is compressed that it would have to decompress itself while playing which would take up precious CPU cycles, no?

    #113086
    Profile photo of xd3l
    xd3l
    Participant

    99% of the time, no. The other 1% of the time, the game just will not load compressed and you are better off using a Bin/Cue in those cases.

    That aside, I used two separate programs to compress my PS1 iso’s. One does multi disk images, and the other retains the audio tracks on single disk images. I forget the name of the program atm though. It’s been a little while.

    #113134
    Profile photo of mikeveli20
    mikeveli20
    Participant

    My plan was to compress all games that only have 1 track in the cue file, and then just leave the rest as is since I only have a handful of games with multi tracks. I guess it’s just a matter of trial and error to find the 1% that don’t work compressed. My main concern was a possible loss in performance. Thanks for verifying that’s not the case.

    #113149
    Profile photo of xd3l
    xd3l
    Participant

    I built a PiStation, initially intent on emulation PS1 on it alone, so I went through and tested about 200 some titles. It took me weeks and weeks, but it was worth it. Tis amazing what this Pi can pull off. It nearly does Castlevania on the PSP flawlessly in fact.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

Forums are currently read only - please visit the new RetroPie forums at https://retropie.org.uk/forums/

Skip to toolbar