Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Author
    Participant

The source code is floating around the ‘net and readily available, and it looks likes it’s a GPL v.2 license, so it seems like it would be a no-brainer to include. The 7800 is another 6502-based system, a technological contemporary of the NES. ProSystem is part of the OpenEmu system for OS X and I’d love to see it part of RetroPie. Surely I can’t be the only one who’d like some 7800 action on our Pi’s.

herbfargus

Is this the source to which you refer?

http://zx81.zx81.free.fr/serendipity/index.php?/archives/397-Dingux-7800-Atari-7800-Emulator-for-Dingux-v1.1.0.html

Supposedly this dude compiled it to work on the Raspberry Pi:

http://atariage.com/forums/topic/228598-atari-7800-how-to-configure-a-usb-joystick-linux/

Wish I knew more about porting/compiling

drvenkman
    Participant

Well, the code I’m referring to is here – it hasn’t been updated in over 6 years but it’s still archived and downloadable, and it functions quite well (at least the version compiled to run in OpemEmu under OS X does).

http://www.zophar.net/a7800/prosystem.html

I downloaded a copy myself so I know the link is still alive/working. I haven’t seen that thread at AtariAge but I’ll check it out, thanks!

petrockblog
    Keymaster

There is a libretro core – it didn’t work before though. There have been some changes since then so im testing now and if it works, I’ll include it.

petrockblog
    Keymaster

I have added it to experimental section. Please let me know how it works for you. You can “optionally” install “7800 BIOS (U).rom” – works without but you don’t get the atari logo then

herbfargus

tested a bunch of games and they all work perfect. Minus barnyard blaster mainly because I don’t own a light gun. Thanks Buzz!

The NTSC BIOS worked being named “7800 BIOS (U).rom” and placed in the BIOS folder but the PAL BIOS didn’t seem to work. I tried “7800 BIOS (E).rom” as well as “7800pal.rom” in both the BIOS and the ROM folder but it seemed that the PAL BIOS wouldn’t load either way. Maybe I just had it named wrong or in the wrong place. It’s not really a big deal as it isn’t a necessary thing but just a heads up if anyone else tries pal roms with the NTSC BIOS enabled- it won’t work.

drvenkman
    Participant

[quote=92917]I have added it to experimental section. Please let me know how it works for you. You can “optionally” install “7800 BIOS (U).rom” – works without but you don’t get the atari logo then[/quote]

Works pretty well, thanks, complete with rainbow Atari boot screen. I tried one ROM just as a test (Xevious) – I noticed some tearing in the vertical scrolling as compared to my real 7800 and cartridge, but that may be an artifact of playing on a bigger LCD (I usually play on a 13″ CRT). The colors appear kind of bright and washed out, as if the gamma is too high, but I’ll fool around with configuration options and see if I can tweak that.

Thanks!!!

iesposta
    Participant

[quote=92921]tested a bunch of games and they all work perfect. Minus barnyard blaster mainly because I don’t own a light gun. Thanks Buzz![/quote]
    Seroiously? That’s great news!
    I have it working under AdvMESS from the command line, the colors are a bit wrong, and I can not figure how to run it in Emulation Station, and every thread with this problem dies without a solution.

Are you running .bin or .a78, or do both work?

drvenkman
    Participant

[quote=92924]
    Are you running .bin or .a78, or do both work?
    [/quote]

I know you didn’t reply to me, but I tested a Xevious rom in .a78 and it plays great.

As you and I both noted, the colors appear off, in my case too bright as if gamma is too high. Probably something configurable somewhere. I intend to dig into it tomorrow.

iesposta
    Participant

Try this homebrew.
    Probably the inspiration for Activision’s Megamania.
    I used to hate it in the arcade because of its difficulty and it didn’t give much play per quarter.
    Now I can’t stop playing!
    Final version here: http://atariage.com/forums/topic/219854-fighter-pilots-needed-in-sector-wars/?p=2918746

herbfargus

That game is pretty alright for a homebrew

drvenkman
    Participant

The 7800 has an incredibly vibrant homebrew scene, and a lot of them end up being placed on carts and sold at retail to retro-hobbyists. Anything by Bob DeCredenso (sp?) is worth looking at! Most of the homebrew 7800 ROMS can be found on AA – the developers usually make them (or very late beta versions) available for download and play testing. Sometimes they release final versions a few months after the carts go on sale just because they want to give back to the gaming community. I have a slew of them – I highly recommend Beef Drop (an excellent Burger Time port) and Asteroids Deluxe, among many others.

Now I just gotta find the config settings to get my X-Arcade Tankstick to work properly …

labelwhore
    Participant

OMG you guys kick ass! 7800 is working nicely here.

One thing that happened to me during the install though, was that my es_systems.cfg file got wiped out. (I’ve had trouble with the file before, I think because I have some systems commented out.) I had a copy on my desktop so recovery was simple. So definitely make a backup first. ;)

…now I just need to get a colecovision emulator working.

petrockblog
    Keymaster

There is an sdl verion of adamem for colecovision, but the 1.8.1 version I have found references to has no source.

If someone can get hold of the source for this, we could take a look. or if any other sdl emulator is found.

herbfargus

This might be worth looking into for colecovision though it seems the author is a little more restrictive about his code.

http://fms.komkon.org/ColEm/

herbfargus
    Anonymous
    Inactive

but it is not in the beta 2 release or in the testing downloads, either.

edit: disregard. I found the answer in a different thread.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • The forum ‘Everything else related to the RetroPie Project’ is closed to new topics and replies.