Viewing 34 posts - 1 through 34 (of 34 total)
  • Author
    Participant

Hi Guys,

I’ve just bought my first Pi, a Pi 3, and am in the process of setting up Retropie.

Emulationstation installed fine and I only started running into issues when it came to the PS3 controller.

I followed the guide as per the below, which installed successfully.
    https://github.com/RetroPie/RetroPie-Setup/wiki/setting-up-a-ps3-controller

This is where my issues begin. Note – I keep the controller wired in for the majority of the time for simplicity’s sake.

I load emulationstation and using my keyboard navigate to the ‘configure input’ option. It sees the controller is connected and asks me to enter the respective inputs, great right? Not quite.

While progressing down the list pressing buttons on the controller, some inputs just refuse to register. For example, I get to ‘bottom right’ and press the bottom right button on the controller. It simply skips to the next input leaving ‘bottom right’ as ‘undefined’ with no way to rectify. Bottom left input goes in fine….What the hell?!

I was able to play a game using this semi configured state, but it’s not ideal and i’d really like to get it sorted.

The other issues I’m facing are:
    -When I unplug the controller the bluetooth connection doesn’t kick in as advised in the above guide.
    -When the Pi is rebooted I have to manually configure the input settings in EmulationStation all over again.

Really what I’m aiming to have is this in a state where I can just turn the Pi on and get going with the controller without any issues or configuration required each time. If this is likely to be a major headache with the PS3 controller I’m prepared to order something else just to circumvent this issue.

Thanks in advance

gizmo98
    Participant

rpi3 + ps3 controller –> Run sudo apt-get install pi-bluetooth to install broadcom bluetooth firmware.

Anonymous
    Inactive

I am having the same problem, I just can’t get a DualShock 3 configured in RetroPie.

The “CONFIGURE INPUT” screen verifies that it is seeing a “Sony Playstation 3 Controller”, but when it gets to the “CONFIGURING” screen, most of the buttons do NOT register.

Oddly enough, binding the controller’s buttons in RetroArch works flawlessly.

Anonymous
    Inactive

[quote=119813]rpi3 + ps3 controller –> Run sudo apt-get install pi-bluetooth to install broadcom bluetooth firmware.

[/quote]

Tried this, but it says I already have the newest version.

gizmo98
    Participant

Usb connected? If you use ps3 controller without bluetooth remove sixad driver. The linux kernel has an builtin driver. Your PSU could be to weak.

Anonymous
    Inactive

[quote=119820]Usb connected? If you use ps3 controller without bluetooth remove sixad driver. The linux kernel has an builtin driver. Your PSU could be to weak.

[/quote]

Good idea. I’ll try a different power supply, and see if that’s the problem.

buffering
    Participant

Seems all of us with pi3 are having issues. This is the third post with similar issues.

gizmo98
    Participant

I have a PI3 as well and have no issues. But i still use an old updated retropie version. Haven’t tested a fresh rpie 3.6 installation yet.

gizmo98
    Participant

Verified. It is not possible to configure a usb connected ps3 controller. But it is possible to use one if it is already configured. Strange. I will take a look.

buffering
    Participant

By removing the config and re-adding I have got my ps3 controller to work via bluetooth.
    Fully functional in the menu but does not work in game.
    I have set the input option under menu options but it stops the moment a rom or port is launched.

Thanks guys, it does look brilliant and runs well on the pi3.

haghverdi
    Participant

First post, I’m having the same issue. PS3 controller wont connect properly! what do we do? :(

piface
    Participant

-I’m using the official power supply bundled with the pi3, so I’m guessing that’s not going to be an issue?
    -I might give installing the broadcom bluetooth software a go and see if that helps.

Initially I was trying with my Dualshock….then I tried with an older SixAxis I have, then I went back to trying with the Dualshock….and….it worked?!

..I unplugged it, it vibrated and I could see that it had paired by the LEDs on the side of the controller. I was then able to configure all of the buttons within EmulationStation. I haven’t tried it again since, so god knows if it’s going to work next time I fire it up.

Seems like the pi does not like the controller being connected by a cable very much?

My problems are not over however – the controller does not work in all games.

-Doom, works fine.
    -Quake, completely spazzes out inputting random buttons without me pressing anything.
    -Duke Nukem, sort of works, some of the buttons don’t do anything.
    Can anyone advise on this?

Also, Could we possibly try and get a collection of helpful commands concerning controller setup together? Such as
    – how to clear the existing controller config?
    – how to manually input the config with the references for the buttons included.
    – how to manually pair the controller and then load emulationstation without disconnecting the controller.
    – etc etc

Thanks guys.

zordrak
    Participant

i posted that in another thread already but i can confirm this:

2 different ps3 controller tested on:

upgraded retropie 3.6 on
    pi2: usb = working
    pi3 usb = working (kind of) / bluetooth working
    (on the pi3 i have random issues with system freezes only when the ps3 controller is connected via usb, but that might only be a problem of my upgraded install, didn’t figure that out yet)

fresh install of 3.6 on
    Pi2: usb not working
    Pi3: usb not working / bluetooth working perfectly

buffering
    Participant

I’ve been searching for ideas to troubleshoot why the controller does not work at all in games but does in emulstation. Haven’t found anything. Really frustrating being soooo close.

dave
    Participant

Hi all

I’m having the same trouble. Pi3 RP3.6 new setup. PS3 controller wont configure buttons after up and down. Tried to install the PS3 drivers from the command line, following a video on YouTube. Still doesnt seem to work. I did manange to get it to connect (1 solid red light on controlller), but disconnects again when I remove the USB cable.

buffering
    Participant

I ran the setup script trying to emulate the video but option 313 for configuring input devices doesn’t exist. Option 314 only provides options to configure a keyboard.
    At a loss how to get the ps3 to work in game..

jstest works fine, controller is connected just not to any emulators..

gizmo98
    Participant

There is definitely something fishy with rp3.6 + ps3 controller configuration. As it appears at the moment you can not do anything to work around this problem. So please stay calm and wait until there is a fix.

gizmo98
    Participant

Hotfix. Not tested at all but seems to run better:
    Press F4. Emulationstation will close.
    Type…

cd RetroPie-Setup
    git pull
    sudo ./retropie_packages.sh sdl2
    emulationstation

Input configuration should work again.

buffering
    Participant

Doesn’t solve the lack of controller in game play..

gizmo98
    Participant

You have to configure your controller once in emulationstation.

If controller configuration in emulationstation runs without problems correct retroarch input.cfg files should be created.

buffering
    Participant

How can I check? Emulstation starts fine with the sixaxis controller and works fine until a emulator is started.

dave
    Participant

Yay! works for me, thanks gizmo. Very kind of you to help.

gizmo98
    Participant

@buffering
    Press start in emulationstation and select “input configuration”.

buffering
    Participant

Hi @gizmo.

I tried that also as well as removing the ps3 controller and pairing it again through setup script.
    Still no joy :(

buffering
    Participant

update. I decided to re-image the SD. Then applied the bluetooth update, then the hotfix, then paired the ps3 controller.
    Works now.
    Finally!

EDIT: quick question, the analogue sticks won’t work in game only the retropad (they seem to be mapped in mame though).
    Any advice for getting this to work?

thanks

tinygamer
    Participant

Hello Guys,

I had the same issue, but solved it first via manually changing the config-file.
    It worked fine but someday it didn’t anymore. I followed the steps from gizmo98 and now configuring works fine for me and as I look up the conig file, everything is set up correctly. But then in (for example) DOOM the R2-Button (right bumper) won’t be noticed! Is there a problem with older corrupt configurations and DOOM not noticing the change? Have I to update or reload something=

Thx for any help! :)

gizmo98
    Participant

@buffering
    take a look here: https://www.petrockblock.com/forums/topic/some-things-ive-learnt-and-a-question-about-the-main-menu/

@tinygamer

The most cores do not use L2/R2. PRBoom should use L2/R2 for previous/next weapon actions. Does L2 work?

tinygamer
    Participant

@gizmo98: Yes L2 works. I configured my controls, such that L1 and R1 change weapons and I strafe with L2/R2. I may tumbled that. ,:D
    If I would switch that configurations, playing SNES unimpaired might be possible, but this would only be a work-around. :(

buffering
    Participant

@gizmo the hacks mentioned on the link do not seem to work on the 3.6/pi3 combo.
    I did post on that thread also.
    Controller also only works on mame-libretro, not the others.

rulogarcillan
    Participant

Hi, I am having the same problem, :(

Raspberry 3 and the pad has problem to configure

:(:(:(:(

tinygamer
    Participant

Did you try the 4 steps from gizmo98?

[quote=119984]Hotfix. Not tested at all but seems to run better:
    Type…

cd RetroPie-Setup
    git pull
    emulationstation

Input configuration should work again.[/quote]

rulogarcillan
    Participant

[quote=120302]Did you try the 4 steps from gizmo98?

Hotfix. Not tested at all but seems to run better:
    Type…

cd RetroPie-Setup
    git pull
    emulationstation

Input configuration should work again.

[/quote]

works fine

thanks you very very much

steff0
    Participant

I tried gizmo steps. now I can fully configure my controller but won’t work without the usb cable

tinygamer
    Participant

I figured out now, that my R2 button isn’t working because since I did the steps from gizmo RetroArch doesn’t notice any changes in the controller/joypad-configuration? Is there a possible force update or something like that?

EDIT: Solved by complete reinstall.

Viewing 34 posts - 1 through 34 (of 34 total)
  • The forum ‘Controller Configuration in RetroPie’ is closed to new topics and replies.