Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Participant

Hello everyone! I’m new to the RetroPie project. I obtained a Pi Model B Rev 2.0 earlier this week and have been playing around with this project with the 1.10.0 distro. I think it’s an awesome idea and can’t wait to get it all working. However, I’m stumbling into a problem that I think I might know the answer to. Just posting it here to confirm. I can get the Pi to bootup, load roms, configure a wired Xbox 360 controller and everything seems fine. When I launch a game in any emulator, the power seems to die on the USB bus. A wireless keyboard and mouse stop responding to the point where I can’t even turn the numlock/capslock/scroll lock lights on and the light goes out on the xbox 360 wired controller. I have a feeling that this might be a power issue. When I bought the Pi, it only came with a 600maH power supply. Could this be the problem? My next step is to try to pick up a new 1500maH power supply to see if it resolves the issue and even possibly pick up a certified powered USB hub. Thoughts?

kitchuk
    Participant

I’m about 99% sure it’s going to me the power supply. The pi isn’t getting enough juice for the extra peripherals. I’m running 1ghz with a usb snes pad and keyboard and everything is fine with a 1000mh unit.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk

Anonymous
    Inactive

Yeah sounds like power issue
    This is taken from the official site

Model B owners using networking and high-current USB peripherals will require a supply which can source 700mA (many phone chargers meet this requirement). Model A owners with powered USB devices will be able to get away with a much lower current capacity (300mA feels like a reasonable safety margin).

I have a 1500ma psu and got a wired xbox controller, keyboard and ethernet plugged in and no issues.

RawToxic
    Participant

I picked up a 1A (1000 mAh) usb brick like you would use to charge an iphone. My problem with the USB bus losing power when an emulated game is launched is now gone. Thank you to those who replied and confirmed my suspicions. Now I’m finding that my controller buttons for some reason didn’t map globally when I ran the source build to rebuild the retroarch config. No worries. I will just set them in the config file manually. Thanks again. Time to play! :)

Anonymous
    Inactive

Glad you got it sorted!

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • The forum ‘Everything else related to the RetroPie Project’ is closed to new topics and replies.