Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Participant

I bought the Odroid XU4 to run PSP games since the Pi 3 still doesn’t have quite the power (I have a Pi 3 and tried it). I saw on the wiki that there were instructions for the Odroid C1.

Does anyone know if these instructions would apply to the XU4?

herbfargus

Try it and see. RetroPie was designed for the pi though- odroid support will never be as good, as the odroid’s software and community isn’t as good as the pi. You may want to look into lakka as well.

tipoto
    Participant

You can also try OGST (Odroid GameStation Turbo), which I use on my XU4:
    http://forum.odroid.com/viewtopic.php?f=98&t=7322

It’s very well done and the guy that supports it is very active, he answers every single question and updates his image very often.

I don’t know if you just bought your XU4 or not, but you’ll see that there is a big problem with the latest mali drivers… There is a huge tearing issue with the 2D scrolling games (Sonic, rayman 1 etc…) and Vsync doesn’t work with these drivers so forget about it to fix the problem.
    I personally use an old kernel just because of that, but in consequence I have to deal with an old problem very annoying, the “black screen issue” (it has been fixed in the latest drivers), basically you can crash your system in certain conditions and you get a black screen when it happens. I managed to avoid it in almost all the situations but one, the only case where my system can still crash sometimes, is when I quit a game with Reicast, which is very frustrating since I bought the XU4 especially for its performances with Reicast, mupen64 and ppsspp. :/

efraimsangil
    Participant

For Odroid XU4, the best platform for Gaming is Android with some apps installed.

tipoto
    Participant

I didn’t test Android for my retro-gaming project and maybe I missing something great, I have a few doubts and questions though (but you don’t really have to answer them ;) ):

– I heard that Gamesome was probably the best solution to get a frontend on Android, but, is there any important options missing, like the option to edit the settings and emulators on a per game basis, use videosnaps, edit my layouts and add animations? I use Attract-Mode as frontend and I have all these options, I can basically do whatever you want.

– I use a lot of scripts to launch my roms and do others tasks, I guess I can install an app that gives me bash script on Android, but is it the same as on linux?

– Same thing with Python?

– Are all the emulators stable?

– How many versions of Mame are available? I currently have 11 versions of mame + 2 versions of fba installed and I need them all because certain roms are difficult to emulate correctly unless you use the right emulator.

– I also have an Arduino connected to my XU4, in order to control RGB leds (I created my own LEDBlinky system), I guess I can also find an app for the communication between the 2 boards, but is it as reliable as on Linux?

I’m sure that with a lot of work and research, we can get something cool with Android, but I’m wondering, once the best apps and options has been picked and set correctly, once everything has been optimized at its best, what are the missing things that I will never find a solution to replace and make me frustrated because of the limitation?

efraimsangil
    Participant

Hi!

I take two days testing the system in Android. I do not know all emulators, or kernels, or anything! I am very new to Android.

But I am tested Retrobox TV and others alone platforms it’s working with my Xbox 360 Wireless stick.

I think that in a few days or more… I could write my experiences with this prototype.

tipoto
    Participant

I’m very curious about all this and I’m very interested to read your feedback after all your tests. :).
    I also use Xbox 360 Wireless controllers, so it’s a good start to know that they are recognized, but I also need to connect an ipac2, hopefully it can be recognized too.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • The forum ‘Ideas for Further Enhancements’ is closed to new topics and replies.