Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Participant

So I had no previous experience with linux or Raspberry Pi but decided that I wanted to learn mostly because of this project! I feel like I have done pretty well considering.

I was able to get everything to work with a keyboard and wanted to take it to the next level and get the actual NES controllers working and place it all in an NES shell like I had seen on some other blogs and videos.

I ran into issue with the NES controller once I tried to map the left and up keys. I have tried two usb to nes adapters and 3 controllers with no luck.

I am using Retrolink Retro-bit NES to USB adapters and they work perfectly on my mac and pc.

I am wondering if anyone has any helpful tips? A config file I can copy? Is the GPIO set up pretty easy if I was alright with the soldering?

Sorry for all the questions and thank you so much in advance!

matthew
    Participant

did you figure this out yet?

niko
    Participant

BUMP! I have also started a NESpi project with only using NES and GBC emulators for now. I have a Retrobit NES to usb adapter and an authentic NES controller. I also am running into the same problem with setting up the emulator menu controls not accepting up and left from the controller. If someone could please provide an answer so I can finish up this year long project I would greatly appreciate it a lot. I imagine there would be a way to edit the menu script so I could control the menu and play games using an NES controller.

Anonymous
    Inactive

Interestingly, I also had this problem with my Buffalo Famicom-style controller (only for retroarch.cfg, not for es_input.cfg).

The first time I’d run the retroarch.cfg script, it refused to detect two of my d-pad buttons (I don’t remember which ones). So I hit the wrong buttons and ran the script again. The second time, it worked fine. I’ve set it up a few times, and it always goes exactly like this. I then go into retroarch.cfg and manually delete the erroneous duplicates.

My recommendation for both of you would be to try running retroarch.cfg twice and manually edit both retroarch.cfg and es_input.cfg. Let me know if you need directions.

Anthony

niko
    Participant

thank you Anthony for your reply, after many hours of searching, going through the setup again and again, it seems i still have the same problem. I have managed to get somewhat closer to fixing my problem though =]. ok…so I have found the script that needs to be input into es_input.cfg file for my adapter from the emulationstation guy in a random post i found through google.

<inputList>
            <inputConfig type="joystick" deviceName="INNEX NES Controller USB">
                    <input name="a" type="button" id="0" value="1" />
                    <input name="b" type="button" id="1" value="1" />
                    <input name="select" type="button" id="2" value="1" />
                    <input name="menu" type="button" id="3" value="1" />
                    <input name="right" type="axis" id="0" value="1" />
                    <input name="down" type="axis" id="1" value="1" />
                    <input name="left" type="axis" id="0" value="-1" />
                    <input name="up" type="axis" id="1" value="-1" />
            </inputConfig>
    </inputList>

i posted it here so that it can be easier to other people to cut and paste into the .cfg. now the next problem i have is that i am not able to find es_input.cfg anywhere in the folders. I do know its a hidden folder, but I would like to know, is it possible to find this cfg from startx and if so, what is the process for doing so. once i can find the cfg im hoping i will be able to open it in notepad and paste the code in there to allow my gamepad to work. I would appreciate it greatly if someone could help me get to the point were i have the es_input.cfg opened in notepad so i can paste and save. thank you all.

Niko

Anonymous
    Inactive

Have you tried “sudo nano ~/.emulationstation/es_input.cfg”?

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • The forum ‘Everything else related to the RetroPie Project’ is closed to new topics and replies.