Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    Participant

Hi,

i couldn’t get my NEOGEO roms working, every time I selected a rom, the screen would black out, apart from a white dot in the middle. The only way to get out was to pull the power.

After Googling, someone with a similar issue tied PiFBA.

So in my es_systems.cfg file I have this

DESCNAME=NeoGeo
    NAME=neogeo
    PATH=/home/pi/RetroPie/roms/neogeo
    EXTENSION=.zip .ZIP
    COMMAND=/home/pi/RetroPie/supplementary/runcommand/runcommand.sh 1 "/home/pi/RetroPie/emulators/pifba/fba2x %ROM%"

now when i try to run a rom, the emulation station goes to the command line, then returns to emulation station.

I have a neogeo bios, from my pc emulator, that runs the roms. After googling, I have no idea where it should go. So many people have it sat in different areas.

At the moment its in home/pi/RetroPie/roms/neogeo zipped.
    Is this right?

crystalj
    Participant

You can try changing the ROMS path as well. I also had zero luck with the NeoGeo emulator and switched over to fba. Here is the es_systems setting that works for me.

PATH=/home/pi/RetroPie/roms/fba
    EXTENSION=.zip .ZIP
    COMMAND=/home/pi/RetroPie/supplementary/runcommand/runcommand.sh 1 
    /home/pi/RetroPie/emulators/pifba/fba2x %ROM%”

I am having limited luck with getting Roms to work and I have found no sources to help me with it :-(

whise
    Participant

im pretty shure you need to setup the fba2x.cfg first

movisman
    Participant

Hi,

Not sure if this helps, but for me I had to place the neogeo.zip BIOS file in my fba roms directory (/home/pi/RetroPie/roms/fba), leaving it zipped.

If this still doesn’t work, you might want to try another neogeo.zip BIOS file. Also, once I initially got the NEOGEO games to run I noticed that the few games I had would run but they were weirdly missing sprites (usually foreground ones like characters). I got them from another source and this sorted the problem. Seems you definitely need the exact type of ROM for the games to work properly.

Don’t forget to edit your fba2x.cfg file in /home/pi/RetroPie/emulators/pifba/fba2x to map the controls, optional visual effects, etc as it doesn’t use the Retroarch core.

Cheers

hacha-dorada
    Participant

I have only managed to play some ROMs through PiFBA. It appears that it can run small ROMs, not big ones. Megaman runs smoothly, to mention an example. Metal Slug was impossible to run, at least with the ROMs I have.
    I am not sure whether it is possible to run NeoGeo games with the other emulators, sadly.

RetroMarine
    Participant

I’m also trying to get the Neogeo to work via pifba with no joy. I have put the neogeo.zip bios in the neogeo roms folder, fba roms folder, the bios folder, and I changed the path in es_systems.cfg to fba like how crystalj said but still no joy. This is driving me nuts…All I get is the little white dot in the center for a couple seconds, then back to the menu. I’m about to just give up-unfortunately, I know it’s probably something stupid so I can’t let it go.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

hacha-dorada
    Participant

I have been using FBA (not PiFBA through RetroArch actually; check the ES_systems.cfg, there are two options) and getting some light ROMs to work.
    Can you show us your ES_systems.cfg file content regarding NeoGeo and FBA?

Also, right after you fail to execute a ROM, when it takes you back to the frontend, press F4 to get out to the command line and check what was printed out just before. It might help us in determining what is the issue.

InsecureSpike
    Participant

I have PiFBA working near perfect, for NeoGeo, there are just a small number of games, at the moment 5 or so that don’t work, for me

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

hacha-dorada
    Participant

[quote=6088]I have PiFBA working near perfect, for NeoGeo, there are just a small number of games, at the moment 5 or so that don’t work, for me

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    [/quote]
    Are you using PiFBA or the FBA emulator? Source installations? Because using the RetroArch PiFBA works terrible for me, runs slow and the sound is horrible. FBA works well for “light” games (Snow Bros and Cadillacs and Dinosaurs running smoothly so far).

Either way, have you been able to run Metal Slug or King of Fighters? None of these run on any of the emulators (FBA or the other NeoGeo emulators). I have read around that there is something that has to do with the emulators running out of memory with the heaviest games. If so, can you post your configuration for the emulator? Thanks!

InsecureSpike
    Participant

yup…

DESCNAME=FinalBurn Alpha
    NAME=fba
    PATH=/home/pi/RetroPie/roms/fba
    EXTENSION=.zip .ZIP
    COMMAND=/home/pi/RetroPie/supplementary/runcommand/runcommand.sh 1 "/home/pi/RetroPie/emulators/pifba/fba2x %ROM%"
    PLATFORMID=23

source updated

over clock is set to high

now i think it greatly depends on the bios you have!
    i had a tough time until i found these,

gg-bios.zip
    hng64.zip
    neocd.zip
    neogeo.zip
    uni-bios-30.zip

uni-bios.rom

i have all these in my roms folder,

all Metal Slug, and some KoF’s work,

not too sure what else I could add!

hope this helps

hacha-dorada
    Participant

Thanks! I will check if getting alternative BIOS helps. I don’t think it has to do with overclocking.
    You are using the fba2x just like me; the other option is using the PiFBA through Retroarch, which does not work for me.

EDIT: I cannot find gg-bios.zip.
    I found the others that were lacking, I hope these are the same…

EDIT 2: No luck trying to run games that were not working. Maybe I really need the gg-bios file. Could you upload a package with your BIOS files?
    In the meantime, I will try re-updating the FBA from the sources.

Puppet_Master

I have all this “Bios” files, but most of the games I have don’t work, the only one who works fine is “Metal Slug 2”, NeoBomberman starts but some images are missing I just see the borders and the explositions, for Metal Slug 1, I just have the time, the scores and the blue sky.

Does somebody have similar issues ?

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • The forum ‘Everything else related to the RetroPie Project’ is closed to new topics and replies.