Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    Participant

I was just curious if there was a bios you could use with Neo Geo on PiFBA that plays the games uncensored, but still in English. I’ve tried loading the Japanese bios and while the games play uncensored they are completely in Japanese, including the service menu and I can’t seem to change the language using the Japanese bios. I read somewhere that the European bios plays the games uncensored and in English but I’ve tried loading what I believe to be the European bios and they games don’t appear uncensored.

kitchuk
    Participant

Are you using PiFBA? I’m using a asia-s3 bios and the game and see ice menu is all in English. Try searching for neogeo.zip and it should be about 204kb

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk

typh0id
    Participant

The asia_s3 bios is censored. I’m trying to find out if any of the English bios’ are uncensored.

kitchuk
    Participant

Using that bios I mentioned I’m able to switch blood on games (mslug for example). Is that what you mean by censored?

InsecureSpike
    Participant

guys how do I get the service menu up?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

kitchuk
    Participant

[quote=7283]guys how do I get the service menu up?

[/quote]

Use the Neo Geo bios that’s exactly “neogeo.zip (234 kb)”. I cant tell you where to find it but if you Google that you should be able to find it.

Then you press L+R+SELECT in game to open up the bios menu. Check the PiFBA config to see what buttons you have assigned on your controller for this.

InsecureSpike
    Participant

oh cool! thanks, I have the bios already, ok I’ll give this a go, and you say there are different regions too! I take it I won’t really know what region I have till I open the menu?
    thanks

typh0id
    Participant

I apologize for not being more clear. I am aware that you can turn on blood via the service menu for the games running on the US or Asia bios but there are other elements for certain games that only appear for the Japan bios. As I understand it, in some games certain moves are removed, certain music tracks aren’t heard, and more infamously, certain body parts aren’t as “animated” if you aren’t using a Japan bios…

None of this hurts the fun of the game but I’ve always been a bit unnerved by censorship in any form so if the option to not have it is available, I want to choose it. However, I’d still like to be able to play the game in English…or more accurately, I’d like to be able to play the games that aren’t censored to begin with in English without having to change the bios every time I want to play a different game.

PiFBA seems to default to using the asia-s3.rom bios (located in neogeo.zip) but if you pick, say, sp-j2.rom (which is a Japan bios) and rename it to asia-s3.rom inside the zip, then the PiFBA will load the game up as the Japanese version. You can see differences immediately (eg. title screens look different, and of course the text is in Japanese).

The only solution I’ve found thus far is to use uni-bios_3_0.rom (renamed to asia-s3.rom) which will allow me to switch the region setting within the game without having to go in and rename any more files within neogeo.zip. It’s not a perfect solution, especially since, like the standard neogeo bios, my settings never save and I have to reset them everytime I reload the game, but it’s at least tolerable and I achieve the result I want.

InsecureSpike
    Participant

wow this sounds really cool!
    really need to test this out in the next few days, thanks

InsecureSpike
    Participant

ok, i’m trying this and all i get is a black screen?
    any ideas?

**edit** must of had a dodgy set of bios, all works cool now, thanks

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • The forum ‘Everything else related to the RetroPie Project’ is closed to new topics and replies.