Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    Participant

Trying to get N64 to run on my Pi2

It seems to run at a OK speed (maybe a bit slow)

But with Super Smash I see lots of the characters for some reason have no face details like now eyes, mouth etc.

I see on youtube many people have the N64 working great, I can’t seem to get it run as well.

Any tips?

I have overclocked to 1GHz but thats it.

retropi2
    Participant

Hi, I am new to this and have just setup up my new rpi2 and I am having the same problems. Also the menus in most games the graphics are all corrupted, someone else posted the same problem with screen caps but i cannot find the post.
    I have tried changing to different screen options but no good.
    Im in Australia so not sure if its a PAL/NTSC thing or whats going on, I can actually play mario cart and super smash bros almost ok, snowboard game same thing on the menus, resident evil crashes out but you can just about make out the language selection page.
    Thanks for this great little project.

zersus
    Participant
    raymate
    Participant

Update,

As a reference I found a N64 emulator for my Mac and I used the sam ROMs i’m using on the Pi and they play fine so I know its the emulator on the Pi.

I have over clocked the Pi and I can say that it’s not running them at full speed, the emulator on my Mac shows 30 fps constant and side by side I would say the Pi is in places going down to about 15-20 fps.

I guess it’s early days still for the Pi2 and code needs to be optimised for the extra cores.

retropi2
    Participant

I’ve been trying the two different plugins, rice and n64 by editing /opt/retropie/configs/n64
    VideoPlugin = “mupen64plus-video-n64”
    #VideoPlugin = “mupen64plus-video-rice”

rice seems to be good for some but not when ssbros has multiple enemies it grinds to a halt.

I also think the (E)Europe roms result in the menus not being corrupted, I’m just going to test this again to make sure by disabling rice again.

Zersus it was another post with attached screenshots showing corrupted menus…cant find it.

minimonk347
    Participant

In my experience, the rice plugin works great. Only issues I’ve had thus far are menus blacking out, but if you are familiar with them, you can work around it.

Slowdown on SSB on the Yoshi level didn’t seem any different than what I saw on the faceless default plugin, and didn’t screech to a halt. I can even play Ocarina, which wouldn’t open before, and was glirchy as hell on retroarch. Have you changed the ScreenUpdateSetting to 4? Game changer for me.

minimonk347
    Participant

Figured I would come back to say that I had more issues with rice and SSB than I remembered. Black screens took over a couple bouts, and the yoshi level was much more rough than I thought.

My bad. Hopefully multithread support will serve to solve some of these issues eventually.

zersus
    Participant

Like I said in my posting, there are a lot of other problems when using mupen64plus-video-rice. Zelda, Ocarina of Time crashes as soon as you enter the Menu, for example when you open it first to equip a sword. Extreme G2 work very poorly, even worse then on the mupen64plus-video-n64.

Anonymous
    Inactive

If you’re still using Mupen64plus, to fix the pause menu problem with Zelda, you just add “RenderToTexture=2” in the rice ini under the relevant rom’s section. You do get some texture glitches because of this but it fixes that game breaking bug right out. Plays beautifully on my Pi 2 now. You’ll also want to add, “ScreenUpdateSetting=4” (if I remember correctly) in the same place, to stop cut scene’s, menu screens and other things not working. (This is off the top of my head so I may have the formatting wrong just check it against other roms in the ini file.)

I don’t have Extreme G2 so I can’t really help there but I’ve found that with the new pi the Rice plugin generally seems to be the way to go, but unfortunately it does require experimenting with configs like the above to get things running properly. So experiment with the settings and see if things improve.

You can get things running great, it’s a pain in the ass but that’s N64 emulation for you.

clone206
    Participant

ScreenUpdateSetting=7 seems to work better in general for me, including the Zelda games. I may have also had to tweak the frame skip settings to get it to work right as well.

Both OOT and MM run great now, including the annoying unskippable intros.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • The forum ‘Everything else related to the RetroPie Project’ is closed to new topics and replies.