My Arcade Project

Welcome Page Forums RetroPie Project Peoples Projects My Arcade Project

This topic contains 10 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of grey grey 1 year, 8 months ago.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of grey
    grey
    Participant

Hey all, thought I would share my first arcade build with you. This forum has been alot of help to me over the last 3 months, so really wanted to share the final result.

I have built a standing 2 player full size arcade that obviously runs on RetroPie using a Raspberry Pi 2. It uses an Xin-Mo 2 player control board and for anyone having issues getting RetroPie to recognise it as 2 separate joypads has to check out this thread:

Autofire on the axis

It’s a life saver.

As for the build itself, it currently stands at just over 2 metres tall. I know that sounds huge, and its definitely bigger than most standing arcades, but like everything I build it comes out like me: freaking tall. It has been custom wrapped in vinyl images of my choosing. I guess you could say it’s Metal Gear themed, but I has alot of my interests on it too like it’s Dragons Crown control panel.

For video out, im using an old CRT tv I got for free. Since this is retro, I wanted to keep it as classic as I could. Old school games look better on a good CRT tv anyway.

As for features:

1. 2 player set up
    2. Additional 2 players using custom built arcade control board, and PS3 controller. Totaling 4 players.
    3. 300GB hard drive with about 100,000 roms (unsorted atm, clones, double ups etc.)
    4. USB expansion dock, allowing for more players and wifi dongle setup
    5. Arcade trackball (still to get working properly)
    6. Hidden draw containing keyboard for easy RetroPie control
    7. PS1 setup with up to 4 players
    8. Light gun setup for PS1 with up to 2 players
    9. Arcade is custom built so control board can be accessed from below at any time to fix buttons etc, and also has a door on the back to replace the TV should it ever die

The project took me about 3.5 months in total as I could only really work on it during weekends. I estimate the time to build and complete it all up to this point was about 150-200 hours.

You can read about the full build in detail here on my forum:
    http://thevideogameforum.com/showthread.php?tid=390

Here are some pictures of the build in action, up till its completed point now:

Frame:

Housing:

Control board:

Paint job:

Wrapping:

Control setup:

Inside and gun setup:

Complete:

I’m pretty proud of it, and it was so fun to build. We definitely do it again, thinking about making a bartop next time.

Any questions, just ask!

Attachments:
    Profile photo of dankcushions
    dankcushions
    Participant

amazing job!

“PS1 setup with up to 4 players” – how did you manage this? pcsx-reaARMed on the pi doesn’t support the multitap. is there another PSX emulator??

Profile photo of stanleyella
    stanleyella
    Participant

Top! or as Americans say.Awrsome! I worked in the arcade industry in the ’70’s making those heavy cabinets.Nice work.

Profile photo of grey
    grey
    Participant

amazing job!

“PS1 setup with up to 4 players” – how did you manage this? pcsx-reaARMed on the pi doesn’t support the multitap. is there another PSX emulator??

No the Pi doesn’t support the multi-tap, but the PS1 does 😛 Currently the 4 player PS1 set up is through a multitap on the PS1 itself.

Top! or as Americans say.Awrsome! I worked in the arcade industry in the ’70’s making those heavy cabinets.Nice work.

Thank you very much! It was a pleasure to build!

Profile photo of dankcushions
    dankcushions
    Participant

haha! well I suppose that’s one solution to that problem 🙂

Profile photo of grey
    grey
    Participant

haha! well I suppose that’s one solution to that problem :)

For now yes 😛 Heres hoping to support on the Pi though! It’s such a great little machine.

Profile photo of rookervik
    rookervik
    Participant

Gah this is so sexy! And you even have retro consoles under there! Brilliant! Amazing job!

Profile photo of devil78
    devil78
    Participant

Nice job, are you using the xin-mo dual arcade controller to connect arcade stiks and buttons?

Picab Multi Emulator - Rasperry pi 2 - Retropie - Arcade Cabinet

Profile photo of grey
    grey
    Participant

Nice job, are you using the xin-mo dual arcade controller to connect arcade stiks and buttons?

Sure am!

Profile photo of devil78
    devil78
    Participant

There is a problem with kernel support for this hardware, The 2nd joystick don’t work correctly as player 2. Have you solved it? If yes, can you link me a solution for this, please? Thank And sorry for my bad english!

Picab Multi Emulator - Rasperry pi 2 - Retropie - Arcade Cabinet

Profile photo of grey
    grey
    Participant

There is a problem with kernel support for this hardware, The 2nd joystick don’t work correctly as player 2. Have you solved it? If yes, can you link me a solution for this, please? Thank And sorry for my bad english!

I already linked to the solution in my first post:

I have built a standing 2 player full size arcade that obviously runs on RetroPie using a Raspberry Pi 2. It uses an Xin-Mo 2 player control board and for anyone having issues getting RetroPie to recognise it as 2 separate joypads has to check out this thread:

Autofire on the axis

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

Forums are currently read only - please visit the new RetroPie forums at https://retropie.org.uk/forums/

Skip to toolbar