Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Author
    Participant

i recently used the 2.3 SD image for my pi. got it booted with no issues except for my controller not working. i ran the joypad config multiple times with no success. it works until i get into a game then no buttons work. i primarily want snes to work but gameboy (all of them) and nes would be great as well.

i did output the config to the retroarch.cfg but still nothing. it works in the menu and the start button works. so then i installed the xbox driver and tried it that was using the controller setup from retropie-setup.sh with again no success.

furthermore, while doing an update from retropie_setup.sh it trashed the theme for emulation station. and all i get is a white page with simple black text and no option to reset it.

what am i not doing right to get this controller working? i wanted to try the newest beta but the zip contains a 1.img file that when copied to the sd card does not boot. i tried to get help in irc but it seems abandoned.

what are the exact steps needed to get this controller working in either xinput mode or directinput:
    Logitech F710

brakanje
    Participant

That 1 img file needs to be written to the sd card using an image writer like win32diskimager(windows) once it’s written you will have an operational and ready to use 2.4.2 install. Then you just need to add your preferred theme (unless you like the default theme) and add your roms.

For me all USB controllers except for my one wired x360 controller were plug and play. for x360 controllers you need special drivers to use them.

I can not speak for ps3 controllers as i am lending my pspgo controller to my kid brother since is ps3 has no controllers. :P

I may be able to help further if you can tell me exactly what controller you are using.

Floob

If it helps there are some controller tips here (including PS3 and Xbox):

Also, it may help to check this out to show how to write the image:

retrouser15
    Participant

floob i did watch your video for setting up the controller and it did not work on a freshly imaged system.

writing the image is not an issue and i know how to do it, the beta just did not boot. so i am on 2.3 and want to just get it working as is

Floob

Thats odd, the beta is working pretty well for most at the moment.
    2.4.2 is pretty solid, and the USB controller vid part 2 should work well on that.

Saying that, I’ve never tried a Logitech F710, your link says that is 2.4GHz, and I’ve only setup USB, Bluetooth and Xbox version of 2.4GHz wireless controller before.

If you are sticking with 2.3, you may find that this is causing the issue with the controller setup:

Or are you able to get a USB controller working fine anyway?

retrouser15
    Participant

this is the only controller that i have to use and where i will be putting this a wired controller will not have enough cable to be used efficiently.

Floob
    retrouser15
    Participant

i got it to sort of work. i can use the start and select buttons but none of the others work once a rom launches. i am using super mario all stars to test. i can navigate the menu with the dpad and press start or select but the second it gets into the game the gamepad goes unresponsive. both in direct input and xinput modes.

i just tried a gameboy color game and the a and b buttons appear mapped correctly and start and select work alogn with the d pad. but snes fails. i want to try gba but last time i did it killed my sd card

Floob

It would be best to try a different game (many users have reported issues with mario all stars) maybe try super mario world.

You could try “jstest /dev/input/js0” to make sure all buttons are detected.

retrouser15
    Participant

i tried pocky and rocky 2 and have the same issue with snes. the one zelda gbc game i tried seemed ok with A and B buttons. legend of zelda on snes appears to work.

what do i need to do for gba to work and not destroy my sd card like previously happened?

Floob

GBA must have the bios file copied to /home/pi/RetroPie/BIOS

Useful info here:
    https://github.com/retropie/RetroPie-Setup/wiki/The-gpSP-Emulator

You dont need to install the GBA emulator (ie. by updating binaries or source) as its already there (as are just about all of the emulators) on the image you wrote.

Do you have any joy configuring your logitech using the setup script for retroarch controllers?

retrouser15
    Participant

i am unsure but it sort of works now. some snes games are fine others not but there is no pattern. also the shoulder buttons, l2 and r2, i cannot seem to use to restart emulation station as the config does not accept them. it also won’t time out on somethings so if i dont want them mapped do i just make it blank?

Floob

can you post your
    /opt/retropie/configs/all/retroarch.cfg here?

Maybe I can spot an issue.

You would need to rename it to .txt to post it though.
    Or you can just post it up here: http://pastebin.com/

I’ve just noticed the joypad buttons for your Logitech are in the 2.4.2 image, I have posted them here:

http://pastebin.com/raw.php?i=fAfuDvXe

You could put that in your retroarch.cfg (although I’m more a fan of using the auto files)

retrouser15
    Participant

i think i have it working in xinput mode for most games now. unsure what i did but wireless is now working as well. is there a way to refresh my game list when i add more roms in without rebooting the pi?

Floob

You could quit emulation station then restart it, that should refresh the list without restarting the Pi.

retrouser15
    Participant

can i lock the pi user and use another for security purposes?
    is it safe to apt-get distupgrade on retropie?
    how do i restart emulationstation with no keyboard?
    how do i remove emulators i won’t use from showing such as the apple 2 and IBM?
    if i started to scrape some games and want to automatically do the rest or undo what id id scrape how do i do this?

for instance i now have game information on the screen when choosing. how can i let it do it automatically and fine tune ones that are wrong, or remove all scraped data.

Floob

Rather than lock user pi, you are better off just changing the password.
    http://www.cyberciti.biz/faq/linux-set-change-password-how-to/

Yes, this is safe apt-get distupgrade, but you are probably better off with
    sudo apt-get update
    sudo apt-get upgrade

You stop ES by pressing Start on the joypad and using the menu.
    But yes, I guess you would need to use a remote session to restart it.

To remove the emulators you mention, go into their rom directory and delete the start.txt file that is in there.

To be honest, to scrape only takes a few moments if you use this method:

To remove all scraped data, just delete the existing gamelist.xml files.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • The forum ‘Everything else related to the RetroPie Project’ is closed to new topics and replies.