Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Participant

Hi,

I already have a Raspberry Pi 2 with Retropie working and have set everything as I wanted. I now want to buy a Raspberry Pi 3 and would like to use the same micro sd so I don’t have to setup Retropie completely new. I would like to keep my settings, the metadata and so on.

I expect that it’s impossible to just put my old micro sd into the Pi 3 and it just works, isn’t it? I think I have to convert anything.

I’m not very skilled with linux, so I hope you can help me finding a solution.

Thanks!

senkun
    Participant

quit emulationstation drop to terminal and update raspbian while your sdcard is still in your pi2 and connected to the net. Then when updated, swap sdcard to new pi3 and you should be good to go.

but of course, before anything else, backup everything first.

Anonymous
    Inactive

Exactly as senkun said. Do an update on with the SD Card in your Pi2 so it’ll get Retropie 3.6 which is compatible with the Raspberry Pi 3. Then just put it in your Pi3 and you should be good to go.

Of course – just as Senkun also said – take an image of your existing SD Card so you can always backtrack if needed.

jsawhi
    Participant

I have done this with V3.5. Updated the retro-pie script, then did an apt-get update and apt-get upgrade (or dist-upgrade, don’t remember which). After those finished, I pulled the SD card from the 2 and put it in the 3. Worked like a charm…

I’d still back it up, though. Just to be safe.

ffreak
    Participant

Thank you all! It seems way more easy than I thought. I will test this, when my new Pi3 arrives. Thank you!

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • The forum ‘Everything else related to the RetroPie Project’ is closed to new topics and replies.