Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    Participant

everytime I restart my retro pie all of my scraped metadata is wiped out. Am I not saving it? Am I overlooking something? Running 2.3

——–SOLUTION——–
    [quote=82649]I think the issue has to do with the starting format for the XML files under:

/home/pi/.emulationstation/gamelists/*/gamelist.xml

By default I think they contain (mine were actually blank):

<?xml version="1.0"?>
    <gameList/>

Which messes with the scrapers. If you manually replace the contents of the files with:

<?xml version="1.0"?>
    <gameList>
    </gameList>

I then run the scraper, I believe it will work…

[/quote]

davidesm
    Participant

After scraping select the quit emulation station option instead of shutdown or restart. It should save after that point.

couchpotatotalk
    Participant

[quote=82615]After scraping select the quit emulation station option instead of shutdown or restart. It should save after that point.[/quote]
    Thanks, I’ll go try that.
    *4 mins later*
    No go. I properly quit the ES after having added some games. I then pulled the power plug to see if things were saved when it started back up, they were not.

proxycell
    Participant

which systems are you having trouble with?
    i got mine to save for some (Sega CD) but not for others like the sega master system

couchpotatotalk
    Participant

[quote=82640]which systems are you having trouble with?
    i got mine to save for some (Sega CD) but not for others like the sega master system[/quote]
    I am trying NES and SNES. Both are failing to save.

Do I not have permissions correct? I didn’t change anything from the basic install

couchpotatotalk
    Participant

Interesting… I went to /home/pi/.emulationstation/downloaded_images and all of the scraped images are there. Weird that Retropie isn’t pulling them up.

gamelist.xml found in /home/pi/.emulationstation/gamelists/nes is blank. Not sure if that’s the issue or not.

proxycell
    Participant

yeah thats the “issue” – i’m still unclear as to what causes it to not be written to the file. i haven’t done NES or SNES yet but I believe you.

i thought it was a permissions issue but I did the following:
    sudo chown -R pi /home/pi

that should give me total ownership over everything under it. i have done it with other directories on this system without any issues. You should understand however that the scraper isn’t exactly the best part of RetroPie lol, it has a lot of issues overall and you should consider using the Pi version of sselph’s scraper:
    https://github.com/sselph/scraper/releases

couchpotatotalk
    Participant

[quote=82647]You should understand however that the scraper isn’t exactly the best part of RetroPie lol, it has a lot of issues overall and you should consider using the Pi version of sselph’s scraper:

https://github.com/sselph/scraper/releases

[/quote]
    Thanks, I am checking this out now. Are there more clear instructions somewhere? I downloaded the zip but the directions found on the main page don’t make a lot of sense to me.

bobbyt
    Participant

I think the issue has to do with the starting format for the XML files under:

/home/pi/.emulationstation/gamelists/*/gamelist.xml

By default I think they contain:

<?xml version="1.0"?>
    <gameList/>

Which messes with the scrapers. If you manually replace the contents of the files with:

<?xml version="1.0"?>
    <gameList>
    </gameList>

sselph
    Participant

[quote=82648]Thanks, I am checking this out now. Are there more clear instructions somewhere? I downloaded the zip but the directions found on the main page don’t make a lot of sense to me.[/quote]

Sorry my directions are very terse. Floob made a nice video but essentially:

• extract the zip and copy the scraper file to the rom directory you wish to scrape.
    • ssh to the pi and cd to the rom directory ie( cd ~/RetroPie/roms/snes/ ).
    • chmod +x scraper
    • ./scraper -thumb_only
    • if you get an error about gamesdb being down do ./scraper -thumb_only -use_cache
    couchpotatotalk
    Participant

[quote=82649]manually replace the contents of the files with:

<?xml version="1.0"?>
    <gameList>
    </gameList>

[/quote]

You are amazing. The gamelist.xml files were actually empty, but when I pasted the above text it now works. Thanks!

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • The forum ‘Everything else related to the RetroPie Project’ is closed to new topics and replies.