Metadata from Scraper is not saved after restart

Welcome Page Forums RetroPie Project Everything else related to the RetroPie Project Metadata from Scraper is not saved after restart

This topic contains 10 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of couchpotatotalk couchpotatotalk 2 years, 7 months ago.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of couchpotatotalk
    couchpotatotalk
    Participant

everytime I restart my retro pie all of my scraped metadata is wiped out. Am I not saving it? Am I overlooking something? Running 2.3

——–SOLUTION——–

I think the issue has to do with the starting format for the XML files under:

/home/pi/.emulationstation/gamelists/*/gamelist.xml

By default I think they contain (mine were actually blank):

<?xml version="1.0"?>
    <gameList/>

Which messes with the scrapers. If you manually replace the contents of the files with:

<?xml version="1.0"?>
    <gameList>
    </gameList>

I then run the scraper, I believe it will work…

Profile photo of davidesm
    davidesm
    Participant

After scraping select the quit emulation station option instead of shutdown or restart. It should save after that point.

couchpotatotalk
    Participant

After scraping select the quit emulation station option instead of shutdown or restart. It should save after that point.

Thanks, I’ll go try that.
    *4 mins later*
    No go. I properly quit the ES after having added some games. I then pulled the power plug to see if things were saved when it started back up, they were not.

Profile photo of proxycell
    proxycell
    Participant

which systems are you having trouble with?
    i got mine to save for some (Sega CD) but not for others like the sega master system

couchpotatotalk
    Participant

which systems are you having trouble with?
    i got mine to save for some (Sega CD) but not for others like the sega master system

I am trying NES and SNES. Both are failing to save.

Do I not have permissions correct? I didn’t change anything from the basic install

couchpotatotalk
    Participant

Interesting… I went to /home/pi/.emulationstation/downloaded_images and all of the scraped images are there. Weird that Retropie isn’t pulling them up.

gamelist.xml found in /home/pi/.emulationstation/gamelists/nes is blank. Not sure if that’s the issue or not.

Profile photo of proxycell
    proxycell
    Participant

yeah thats the “issue” – i’m still unclear as to what causes it to not be written to the file. i haven’t done NES or SNES yet but I believe you.

i thought it was a permissions issue but I did the following:
    sudo chown -R pi /home/pi

that should give me total ownership over everything under it. i have done it with other directories on this system without any issues. You should understand however that the scraper isn’t exactly the best part of RetroPie lol, it has a lot of issues overall and you should consider using the Pi version of sselph’s scraper:
    https://github.com/sselph/scraper/releases

couchpotatotalk
    Participant

You should understand however that the scraper isn’t exactly the best part of RetroPie lol, it has a lot of issues overall and you should consider using the Pi version of sselph’s scraper:

https://github.com/sselph/scraper/releases

Thanks, I am checking this out now. Are there more clear instructions somewhere? I downloaded the zip but the directions found on the main page don’t make a lot of sense to me.

Profile photo of bobbyt
    bobbyt
    Participant

I think the issue has to do with the starting format for the XML files under:

/home/pi/.emulationstation/gamelists/*/gamelist.xml

By default I think they contain:

<?xml version="1.0"?>
    <gameList/>

Which messes with the scrapers. If you manually replace the contents of the files with:

<?xml version="1.0"?>
    <gameList>
    </gameList>

Profile photo of sselph
    sselph
    Participant

Thanks, I am checking this out now. Are there more clear instructions somewhere? I downloaded the zip but the directions found on the main page don’t make a lot of sense to me.

Sorry my directions are very terse. Floob made a nice video but essentially:

• extract the zip and copy the scraper file to the rom directory you wish to scrape.
    • ssh to the pi and cd to the rom directory ie( cd ~/RetroPie/roms/snes/ ).
    • chmod +x scraper
    • ./scraper -thumb_only
    • if you get an error about gamesdb being down do ./scraper -thumb_only -use_cache

Auto-scraper: https://github.com/sselph/scraper

couchpotatotalk
    Participant

manually replace the contents of the files with:

<?xml version="1.0"?>
    <gameList>
    </gameList>

You are amazing. The gamelist.xml files were actually empty, but when I pasted the above text it now works. Thanks!

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

Forums are currently read only - please visit the new RetroPie forums at https://retropie.org.uk/forums/

Skip to toolbar