Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    Participant

Please could someone compile MESS for Retropie, it would allow a lot more systems to be supported.

herbfargus

mess is a configuration nightmare. outside of the colecovision (which hopefully in the future will be supported with lr-bluemsx) which systems would it offer that retropie doesn’t already have?

hardmanm
    Participant

[quote=104287]mess is a configuration nightmare. outside of the colecovision (which hopefully in the future will be supported with lr-bluemsx) which systems would it offer that retropie doesn’t already have?

[/quote]

BBC Micro & Acorn Electron for a start

ronoh55
    Participant

BBC Micro issues/builds for the pi.

https://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=4448

Acorn Electron

https://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=4429

Literally first google searches of “*systemname* emulator raspberry pi”. If they both build as easy as it seems in those posts the emulators could be added on the next version of Retropie no problem.

petrockblog
    Keymaster

I have already built one beeb emulator – needs some custom gui code for the disk selection code though when running from console.

I’m sure they will get added in time – there is already a ticket open regarding the bbc.

labelwhore
    Participant

[quote=104287]mess is a configuration nightmare. outside of the colecovision (which hopefully in the future will be supported with lr-bluemsx) which systems would it offer that retropie doesn’t already have?

[/quote]

So what you’re saying is Mess is a mess?

lol, sorry. Somebody had to do it.

hobbswon
    Participant

[/quote]

Wouldn’t MESS allow 5200 roms to be handled in a cleaner way than Atari 800?

I have yet to configure any emu for the 5200 set so I’m just referencing the wiki’s instructions for running 5200 roms via Atari 800. It seems that you cannot use the 5200 theme in ES to load the roms directly? They have to be launched from the 800 menu? Doesn’t the 800 lack joystick/gamepad support as well?

labelwhore
    Participant

[quote=113095][quote=104287]mess is a configuration nightmare. outside of the colecovision (which hopefully in the future will be supported with lr-bluemsx) which systems would it offer that retropie doesn’t already have?

[/quote]

Wouldn’t MESS allow 5200 roms to be handled in a cleaner way than Atari 800?

I have yet to configure any emu for the 5200 set so I’m just referencing the wiki’s instructions for running 5200 roms via Atari 800. It seems that you cannot use the 5200 theme in ES to load the roms directly? They have to be launched from the 800 menu? Doesn’t the 800 lack joystick/gamepad support as well?

[/quote]
    Yes to all 3 questions.

hobbswon
    Participant

So then, technically, there really isn’t support for the 5200 platform

herbfargus

Atari800 is the emulator and it emulates many platforms just as gambatte emulates both GB and gbc.

The Atari 5200 should function in the same way as the Atari 800 as its the same emulator.

(If we really wanted to be picky we could split it out to the XE, and all the other 8 bit variants)

hobbswon
    Participant

I guess the issue is how the games are launched You seem to need a keyboard. Whatever emulator ES points to would be a nonissue as long as the A5200 had it’s own menu and could be launched and exited from a gamepad

herbfargus

Configurations for it have to be set up with a keyboard due to the emulator, but it may be possible to look into the command line options for the atari800 and might be able to launch games from a script with joypad configs, (much like others have done for some dos games) but I haven’t looked into myself that much tbh.

David
    Participant

I have been able to compile AdvMess and the 5200 emulation is good for Star Raiders and I am able to map all the controller buttons (0-9, *, and #) to my joystick (Intellivision controller). The Ballbalzer video is a bit messed up but the game does work.

The Colecovision video output on Advmess is great as is the Channel F, and Astrocade. I was able to hack Advmess to support 2 controllers for Intellivision emulation but I use jzIntv anyways.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • The forum ‘Ideas for Further Enhancements’ is closed to new topics and replies.