Tagged: 

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Participant

Pi Model: B
    RetroPie Version Used: 2.3.0
    Built From: SD Image

From the retropie_setup.sh, I used the option 2:”Source-based installation” in order to install the mame4all emulator. This installed the emulator successfully. Then I did two different things with no success!

From the forum I read that I need to create a new directory called mame4all-pi at /home/pi/RetroPie/roms/mame4all-pi. I did that and placed the roms in this folder.
    However no option “Mame4all” is shown in the menu, only the “Mame” option. If I click on the “Mame” option, I can see the roms but I cannot start any game!

From the wiki (https://github.com/retropie/RetroPie-Setup/wiki/MAME) I saw that I need to create a new directory called mame-mame4all at /home/pi/RetroPie/roms/mame-mame4all. I did that and placed the roms in this folder.
    However no option “Mame4all” is shown in the menu, only the “Mame” option. If I click on the “Mame” option, I can see the roms but I cannot start any game once again.

Please help me!
    Do I need to erase the SD card and install the retropie 3.0?
    But again, do I need to install the mame4all emulator again?
    Where do I need to place the roms for the emulator to work?

Thank you very much for your time.

Stratos

Floob

2.3.0 comes with mame4all already installed, so dont try a source install.

Also, mame4all will never show in the menu, the graphic is always “MAME” – it will still run mame4all there just is no need for a specific graphic.

The wiki you reference mentions where the directories already exist – no need to create them. They give the examples for RetroPie 2.6.0 and 3.0.0

To be honest I’d suggest using the 3.0.0 image.
    Then you put your mame4all (0.37b5) roms here:
    /home/pi/RetroPie/roms/mame-mame4all

If you want to use the 2.3.0 image, the roms go here:
    /home/pi/RetroPie/roms/mame

stratosb
    Participant

Thank you very much for your reply Floob.
    Before trying to install mame4all I had placed the romset version 0.37b5 under /home/pi/RetroPie/roms/mame but I could not play any game at all!
    What was wrong?

If I install RetroPie 2.6.0 and 3.0.0, do I need to install mame4all emulator as well?
    Is RetroPie 2.6.0 more stable than the 3.0 BETA 2?
    Thank you.

Floob

What happened when you tried to run a game before? The roms should just load unless they arent the correct version.

You can check they are the right version with clrmamepro:
    https://github.com/retropie/RetroPie-Setup/wiki/Managing-ROMs

The dat files can be found in that link as well.

If you install 3.0.0 beta 2 mame4all is already installed (its already on all the RetroPie builds). The version 3 seems pretty stable, I’d run with it, but 2.6.0 is fine as well.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • The forum ‘Everything else related to the RetroPie Project’ is closed to new topics and replies.