Tagged: , ,

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    Participant

Hi, I wish I didn’t have to make this thread, but I’m at my wit’s end here. Each time I attempt to start any MAME game, the system will spit out a few lines of code;

performance
    Powering on HDMI with explicit settings (CEA mode 4)
    Powering on HDMI with preferred settings
    ondemand

then go straight back to EmulationStation.

I’ve sifted through plenty of threads, but to no avail. Could anyone tell me what I need to do to fix this? I’m not a complete noob, but I’m close to it.

Floob

Are you using romset 0.37b5?
    Also, do you have neogeo.zip file there for the neo roms?

zenos875
    Participant

How would I check to see what romset I’m using?

And just to be safe, could you let me know where to put the files?

Floob

I dont think there is an easy way to check which romset you have unless there is a readme file with the set or in the archive filename somewhere.

Its probably easier just to download the right romset – google should help out. Its against the rules here to link to roms.

The those zips from the romset simply go in the /home/pi/RetroPie/roms/mame directory. You may need a neogeo.zip file in the bios directory if you want to play neo geo games in there.

zenos875
    Participant

No luck with the BIOS, unfortunately.

I went to Mamedev (hope that doesn’t count as linking to roms) to find the BIOS and put the whole .zip into the /mame/ folder. I can see it in EmulationStation along with the other roms. I feel like I’m missing something here. I haven’t done anything with the Geo at all. Was I supposed to put anything into /pi/BIOS/, or anywhere in /mame4all-pi/?

I’m trying to test with Pac-Man and Metal Slug 6 if that would affect anything.

Floob

I’m assuming you are using RetroPie 2.3 ?
    All your MAME roms (should be about 2,000 zip files) in zip format should be stored here:
    /home/pi/RetroPie/roms/mame

A MAME romset (of 0.36b5 anyway) should be about 2GB in size.

Your MAME entry in es_systems.cfg should be

<system>
            <fullname>MAME</fullname>
            <name>mame</name>
            <path>~/RetroPie/roms/mame</path>
            <extension>.zip .ZIP</extension>
    	<command>/opt/retropie/supplementary/runcommand/runcommand.sh 4 "/opt/retropie/emulators/mame4all-pi/mame %BASENAME%"</command>
            <platform>arcade</platform>
            <theme>mame</theme>
        </system>
    zenos875
    Participant

Yes I am using RetroPie v2.3.
    I’m assuming that by “romset” you meant the BIOS plus all the compatible games? If that’s the case then I can’t find it anywhere. I can only find the BIOS separate from the games, and I can’t even find the games altogether I think I found it. I’ll update when it’s finished downloading.
    The BIOS file of 0.37b5 that I have is about 4mb. The romset file (“m37b5s.zip”) is placed in the /home/pi/roms/mame/ folder, along with the games.

The es_systems.cfg is perfectly fine, though.

Floob

Ok – hopefully that new romset you get will work well. I’d delete anything else you have in this doe before you add them there:
    /home/pi/RetroPie/roms/mame

It shouldnt need any extra files.

zenos875
    Participant

It works! Thanks for the help!

One last question (slightly unrelated): do you know how I would get Golden Tee on the pi? Any other other BIOS or prerequisites that I would need? It’s the #1 game that my dad wants to play on this thing.

Floob

hmm, well it is emulated by MAME
    http://www.mamedb.com/list.php?fuzzy_name=golden+tee

But maybe it needs an older version. You can convert roms though, but you will have to google about that.

zenos875
    Participant

Alright. I’ll see what I can do. Thanks for everything, man.

Marking topic as resolved.

stynik
    Participant

First off id make sure the roms you getting are “clean”. I’ve had many roms fail to load as they were “dirty” or badly ripped.

Make sure the folders in the MAME folder are .zip files

also cross refrence your games with this list to make sure it is supported by MAME4ALL

http://code.google.com/p/imame4all/wiki/GameList

Hope this helps you out a bit

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • The forum ‘Everything else related to the RetroPie Project’ is closed to new topics and replies.