Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Participant

I ran into this problem while I was configuring Libretro-FBA and PIFBA.

If I try to change any button settings in any Libretro through the onscreen menu (using HOTKEY + F1) they take effect until I close the emulator. Once I re-open it, the settings have reverted to their previous values.

I’ve tried using the ‘save configuraion’ option within the menu to save the settings and then try to load those settings, but it doesn’t work–after I load up the new .cfg file, I am unable to do anything within the menu.

I have also copying the settings within the new .cfg file into the retroarch.cfg within the emulator subdirector, but to no effect.

Can someone give me some guidance as to where to find what’s causing the problem?

drvenkman
    Participant

Yep, I’m running into this same thing. It’s causing a MAJOR pain in my butt. Using any of the Libretro-based emulators in combination with my Tankstick (using the XArcade2Jstick service) gives some VERY odd button and keyboard defaults that are entirely unintuitive and unsuited for the classic games I like to play. Each time I boot the emulator from the menu -basically every time I select a new ROM! – I have to redefine everything.

I wish we had some indication this is being looked into, or might be fixed in another Beta. For that matter, 3.0 Beta 2 has been out for a good while. Has anyone seen any indication of a new release or possible 3.0 Final that would fix this bug?

Floob

If you want to set controls in a libretro based emulator, you can either update controller config file, or update the system specific retroarch.cfg

I wouldnt recommend updating the main retroarch.cfg (in the /all directory) for controller updates.

If you look in the /opt/retropie/configs/{systemname}/ directory, you’ll see the file that was created when you saved from the RGUI interface (do “ls -lah” and itll be the latest datestamped one). If you post that up here I could point out the section to paste in your /opt/retropie/configs/{systemname}/retroarch.cfg file.

This video gives an overview on where to change these files (although its a little out of date in terms of some of the paths – new one coming soon!)

drvenkman
    Participant

Thanks for the reply, Floob, but I don’t think I quite understand. You say to look in the /opt/retropie/configs/{systemname}/ directory, but in my case, the problem is that the emulator doesn’t seem to be saving the configuration after I make changes and redefine things. So in my case, using Stella-lr, my retroarch.cfg file in opt/retropie/configs/atari2600/ looks like this:

#include "/opt/retropie/configs/all/retroarch.cfg"
    # All settings made here will override the global settings for the current$
    input_remapping_directory = /opt/retropie/configs/atari2600/

Floob

Yep, its not really all that clear at the moment, but in essence, when you save your settings from RGUI it wont save to the retroarch.cfg.
    Instead it will write a new config file in the same directory.

You can see it if you type “ls -lah”

Whilst you could simply rename this new file to be retroarch.cfg, that would break a lot of the other links that RetroPie uses.

So the best bet would be to take the relevant lines out of the new file and put them in your retroarch.cfg. I’ll try to cover this in a new video this weekend.

patl
    Participant

It’s best to manually edit the configs for each system to set up the key
    e.g. /opt/retropie/configs/snes/retroarch.cfg

input_hold_fast_forward_btn = 9
    input_exit_emulator_btn = 0
    input_rewind_btn = 8
    input_pause_toggle_btn = 3
    input_reset_btn = 12
    #include “/opt/retropie/configs/all/retroarch.cfg”

These entries will be preferred than the entries in /opt/retropie/configs/all/retroarch.cfg

Or you can set in RGUI the option “save on exit” to true.
    I think this option can be found in settings -> Generall Settings
    .. I don’t know the Path of these option exactly now.
    But I do not recommend this because the whole config would be overwritten with the actual retroarch settings.

Floob

I’ve made a (very dull) video about the retroarch.cfg files in RetroPie here if you want to see why the RGUI settings arent saved – start about 30mins in or so. (Although it is summarised nicely in patl post above)

sn00gans
    Participant

Thank you very much, Floob and patl. Instead of adding the entire text from my saved .cfg file, I just added the lines representing the buttons I needed changed and voilait worked! I can use this knowledge to make sure the settings in the PSX emulator also stay saved, too.

Now all I have to do is find out why some roms work in PIFBA but not in libretro-fba. Probably need a different dump.

Thanks again!

Floob

[quote=98407]
    Now all I have to do is find out why some roms work in PIFBA but not in libretro-fba. Probably need a different dump.

Thanks again!

[/quote]

Thats correct.
    Details here:

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • The forum ‘Controller Configuration in RetroPie’ is closed to new topics and replies.