Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    Participant

Good evening everyone :)

I’m rather new in the whole Pi-Scene so bare with me as I try to explain my problem.

1. At the moment I have my laptop connected to Wifi as the router is in the basement. I wanted to connect my Pi to my laptop to be able to get into my files to delete a mass of ROMS and start fresh. So I connected my Pi with an ethernet cable to my laptop and checked my ip on my Pi. However when I try to login with the IP-adres I got from the Pi on Putty I can’t seem to login. The connection times out and I’m stuck. Is there anything more that I should do except for connecting the Pi with an ethernet cable?

2. A second problem I have is that I got a few ISO files (PSX and Dreamcast) games and for some reason the games don’t show up on emulator station. However it should support .iso extensions.

3. Last but not least, if I wanted to start completely fresh with 0 games installed, is there a way I can do this?

I’m sorry for any mistakes of typo’s I made writing this, English isn’t my mother tongue so there’s that.

Kind Regards

Lrnz

dankcushions
    Participant

1) you need to connect your laptop and pi to the same router (in my case i connect them both to my cable modem/router combo unit – laptop via wireless/pi via cable), not directly via an ethernet cable. you CAN do it that way but i think you need a special ethernet cable (‘crossover’). probably easiest to just bring your pi down to the basement :)

2) dreamcast does not support .iso – see https://github.com/RetroPie/RetroPie-setup/wiki/Dreamcast
    playstation DOES support .iso apparently – https://github.com/RetroPie/RetroPie-Setup/wiki/playstation-1 (not sure why it’s not working for you – is it lower case .iso?)

3) install the latest retropie SD card image, i suppose? or manually go through each rom directory and delete all the roms via ftp or command line.

ps – your english seems great :)

lrnz
    Participant

Thnx for the reply!

1. The thing is , connecting my pi to the router is not possible, like at all :D The problem i’m facing atm is that I’ve set a static IP on te Pi , installed putty but when I try to connect I get a constant time-out error…

– I don’t know if it’s lower case .iso but I guess I should have an internet connecting to put the BIOS files into the folder? Because I figured out that’s what stopping the emulator from reading my roms… So I guess I have to get Putty to work first..

– I fixed this, just format the SD and put the image on again, all games and setting will be gone and you can start fresh :)

dankcushions
    Participant

1) like i said, it won’t work because you’re not using a crossover ethernet cable. does your router not have an ethernet port at all?

2) you don’t need an internet connection on your pi, just a way to transfer the bios files from whatever device you’ve downloaded them from. (so, step 1, basically!)

lrnz
    Participant

Hmm I guess I can just leave the Pi in the basement and just go back upstairs and work from my laptop, I guess my router does have an ethernet port.

I’m on my way to check it out, I already got the static ip on my pi so connecting it to the router and trying to log in with Putty should be all I need to do :)

lrnz
    Participant

Well nothing seems to work so i’m about to give it up, the connection with putty keeps on giving a time-out even if I connect the pi directly 2 my router…

dankcushions
    Participant

you shouldn’t need to give either pi or laptop static ips so that might have screwed something up maybe? you just have to know what ip your router has given to your PI (there’s a ‘show my IP’ option in the retropie menu), and then use that to connect via putty.

eg for me my putty session connects to 192.168.0.8, port 22, and connection type SSH. the ip occasionally changes when i reboot.

alternatively, your pi should appear as a network device on your mac/PC, if they’re on the same network.

lrnz
    Participant

I’ll try to change it again, anyway I was able to connect form my pi with a wireless usb adapter to the hidden SSID and it showed an ip adress on the pi, however, trying to connect to it from my laptop didn’t work out.. Again..

On the Bios topic, I got a usb to transfer them to my pi and I got the file structure on the usb , I just can’t figure out where to put the Bios files to get them activated on my pi when I connect the usb to the pi again.

dankcushions
    Participant

you want them in /home/pi/retropie/BIOS/ – it’s all in the wiki https://github.com/RetroPie/RetroPie-setup/wiki/Dreamcast
    (make sure they’re named correctly – the ones i got for dreamcast were named differently and didn’t work until i renamed them, and i think the PSX bios filename is case-sensitive)

lrnz
    Participant

I can’t access /home/pi/retropie/BIOS/ from the USB right? So I’ll probably have to put the files on the USB somewhere , locate them on the Pi and then move them too /home/pi/retropie/BIOS/ ?

I know they are all case-sensitive so i’ll make sure they are correct :)

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • The forum ‘New to RetroPie? Start Here!’ is closed to new topics and replies.