Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    Participant

I had RetroPie installed from source some months ago. It took a long time to compile but it worked and I wanted to update the emulators and such to the latest versions. I did something wrong because it didn’t work. So I downloaded the premade SD Card image that was posted here and it works great. However, I still want to know if it’s possible to update RetroPie (the emulators, RetroArch itself and EmulationStation, etc) and if so, how do I do it?

Because apparently the binaries from the SD Card image are from April.

resentedpoet
    Participant

did you remember to update the retropie setup script first? In order to update RetroPie, you first update the setup script, then update the binaries.

petrockblog
    Keymaster

Alternatively to what resentedpoet said, you could run the Setup Script and use the “source-based installation” to update individual components. Depending on the selected components this could take some time, though.

petrockblog
    Keymaster

I just added an option to the RetroPie Script for updating the binaries of an existing installation, see https://github.com/retropie/RetroPie-Setup/wiki/How-to-Update-an-Existing-RetroPie-Installation.

jcx1028
    Participant

Here’s a potentially dumb question… How do I get to the main menu of the RetroPie Setup Script in order to update the binaries?

resentedpoet
    Participant

@jcx1028

I’m assuming you are auto booting into emulation station. From ES, press F4 to exit. You should still have your RetroPie-Setup folder located in your home folder. Launch the file retropie_setup using the command

sudo ./retropie_setup.sh and follow petrockblog’s instructions.

jcx1028
    Participant

Awesome. Thank you. I appreciate your help.

ckyle22
    Participant

[quote=2443]I just added an option to the RetroPie Script for updating the binaries of an existing installation, see https://github.com/retropie/RetroPie-Setup/wiki/How-to-Update-an-Existing-RetroPie-Installation.[/quote]I don’t see that option even though I updated the setup script.

ckyle22
    Participant

Nevermind, it works. It didn’t update the setup script properly. Thank you. :)

deaftolight
    Participant

If you install from source and then choose update binaries, will that overwrite your install from source, and downgrade any emulators if the source was newer at the time of install?

chito
    Participant

Why isnt there only one update feature that updates the scripts and then updates the binaries?

wait is that cause it needs to reboot after updating the scripts?

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • The forum ‘Everything else related to the RetroPie Project’ is closed to new topics and replies.