First time posting here, but I’ve found the forums very helpful so far. I’ve installed what I believe to be the latest version of RetroPie image and done updates and whatnot. Been trying for about 2 weeks to get PS3 controllers working with it over bluetooth. I’ve managed to get them to show up as /dev/input/js0 and /dev/input/js1 but I can’t for the life of me figure out how to properly map them. When I run jstest I can see them working and I’ve written down a list of button mappings, but when I start the device all I get is the appleII emulator splash screen and no combination of buttons seems to allow me to interact with it in any way (including the button 16 mapping I set to exit the emulator).
What’s the proper way to go from having to js inputs to mapping them globally in the system?
That does allow me to remap via the interface, unfortunately it ends up messing up really badly on the up-down-left-right and the next few after. The reason, I’m pretty sure, is because the d-pad buttons on the PS3 have a I16 range they can go through so when you press it, it sends like 20-30 independent numbers. Similarly, the accelerometer will get mismapped as well.
Is there documentation on what values are allowed for “name” and “type”? That might help…
The good news is the controllers are now working enough to let me select an emulator and a game! Hurray! Although the select button isn’t what I expected (it’s A, which I guess makes sense).
Unfortunately, the first rom I loaded was in the SNES emulator. I get no controls in here at all and basically have to reboot to leave. I’ve changed the controls in …/config/all but nothing seems to have changed…
It’s whichever one came with the default 1.9.1 image… I’ll have to check. I briefly got everything working last night with two controllers (played Super Mario World and switch between each). The main thing I noticed that was strange was that the emulator had reversed player 1 and player 2. Unfortunately, after playing with it to try to get them in the right order, I must’ve broken something else because now when I select a game on the emulator screen, it just does the “open” animation then immediately reloads the game selection screen. All I’ve modified is the …/configs/all/ configuration so I’m not sure what happened there.
The key, I noticed when it did work, was to use the _btn suffix on everything. It wasn’t until I tried to put that on the input_exit line that it stopped working.
Thanks for all the help so far! I’m excited to be getting closer… just a few more issues to resolve then I’ll try to load up a ton of roms and have fun!
I’m actually mounting this thing in my car for my passengers to play with. It’s gonna be really cool!