Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    Participant

Hi I have installed the RetroPie image and I do not know where to configure the controller.
    I have a USB arcade controller and Emulation Station is able to find the controller and I am able to control the UI with the controller. But as soon as I start an emulator the keyboard becomes the controller.
    How can I map let’s say, controller 1 to the USB controller rather than the keyboard?

flipbug
    Participant

Quit Emulationstation by pressing your menu button (on the controller), going to quit, then select “Exit Emulationstation”.

Then type the following (CASE SENSITIVE!). Press Enter after each line.

sudo chown pi /opt/retropie/configs/all/retroarch.cfg

cd /opt/retropie/emulators/RetroArch/installdir/bin

sudo ./retroarch-joyconfig -j 0 >> /opt/retropie/configs/all/retroarch.cfg

The last command will launch a controller configuration tool. You have to input the buttons pretty quickly! If you make a mistake, after going through the program, press up to input the previous command.

Once you’re happy with the setup, reboot, or type:

emulationstation

Then load a game and see if it works. This affects every emulator that uses the Retroarch cores. MAME and Gameboy Advance have their own internal methods of assigning controls.

You can tweak the control scheme manually as well. Connect to the Pi and edit the following file: /opt/retropie/configs/all/retroarch.cfg

melao
    Participant

Hi it worked!
    Thanks for the help!

Now, where do i configure the MAME controls?

I bought a Raspberry PI to do three things, Arcade, XBMC and a simple NAS.
    XBMC and NAS+DLNA Server are working flawlessly. The arcade one still is a project under construction, but i am not giving up.
    Attached you can see the setup now. My plan is to buy another Pi and put it inside the arcade controller, which is huge :)

chito
    Participant

I have a few different controllers I want to use with my retropie. Not sure ifits possible… or at least different emulators to work with different controllers.

I bought 2 sega genesis controllers
    2 snes controllers
    and ive got 4 usb xarcade controllers

How do I set up all these different controllers per system?

Floob

You can use the retroarch.cfg in /opt/retropie/configs/{systename}/

This sets the controls per console. You can find the button codes with the autoconfig

chito
    Participant

Awesome thanks. Ill have a play with it.
    seems people are having trouble with 6 button controllers for the genesis. Hopefully I get it to work

chito
    Participant

How do u setup a 2nd usb controller? i can get the first one to work but not the second

i changed the line
    sudo ./retroarch-joyconfig -j 0 >> /opt/retropie/configs/all/retroarch.cfg
    to
    sudo ./retroarch-joyconfig -j 1 >> /opt/retropie/configs/all/retroarch.cfg

did the whole thing and it still didnt work

Floob

Well I’m pretty sure those lines will append/fix your joypads in the retroarch.cfg so you would always need to use them for all the systems. In the video below I suggest just using the auto procedure instead.

You can of course hardcode them in the retroarch.cfg – if you attach the file I could look at it for any obvious errors.

chito
    Participant

Thanks heaps finaly got around to working on this and that video was exactly what i needed. Now to just config a 6 button for genesis games and then im done :)

sncboom2k
    Participant

Melao – press TAB while in a MAME game – that will take you to the settings menu. You can map your controller there. If it does not save your mappings (meaning they are gone the next time you open a game in mame) – ensure you have a CFG folder (just cfg) in your configs folder for mame4all.

Good luck!

cosmicity
    Participant

Hey there. I’m admit that I’m not terribly experienced with coding. That said, I am having the issue describes here (tab controller settings don’t save in mame4all). I’ve figured out enough to be able to look and see that indeed I don’t have a CFG file in my configs for mame4all. Is there a line of code I could type to create one? Any help is most appreciated!

[quote=86206]If it does not save your mappings (meaning they are gone the next time you open a game in mame) – ensure you have a CFG folder (just cfg) in your configs folder for mame4all.
    [/quote]

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • The forum ‘Everything else related to the RetroPie Project’ is closed to new topics and replies.