Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Inactive

Im using FileZilla and want to replace some files but im getting a permission denied error message how do i bypass this?

labelwhore
    Participant

sudo chmod +w /path/to/your/file via the terminal. You need to do that to every file you want to edit.

Or you could do what I do and nuke the entire directory structure to make it readable/writable by all. It works, but it’s not really the right way to do things. For that I do:

sudo chmod 777 -R /directory/I/want/to/change

That will make everything under the specified folder read/write/executable by all. It’s overkill, but it works.

Anonymous
    Inactive

Hmm, i get a message

sudo: effective uid is not 0, is sudo installed setuid root?

when i try

sudo chmod 777 -R /opt/retropie

labelwhore
    Participant

that shouldn’t happen. try this to fix it:

sudo chmod -R /usr/bin

http://stackoverflow.com/questions/18607003/sudo-effective-uid-is-not-0-is-sudo-installed-setuid-root

If that doesn’t work, somebody more experienced with the ins and outs of Linux will have to chime in. Basically, your permissions are hosed and need to be straightened out. I’m pretty new to this stuff and haven’t come across an issue with sudo not working on my end yet.

Anonymous
    Inactive

Hmm, im trying to remove the permissions for

/etc/emulationstation/es_systems.cfg

i have typed….

sudo chmod +w /etc/emulationstation/es_systems.cfg

after pressing return i get no error message but when i try and edit or delete the es_system.cfg folder im still getting the permission denied message from Filezilla!!

labelwhore
    Participant

hmmm… I thought that should have worked. try this instead:

sudo chmod 777 /etc/emulationstation/es_systems.cfg

*sorry for ninja edit

You should really change it to 755 once you’re done making changes, but it’s not really gonna hurt anything to leave it alone.

Anonymous
    Inactive

that worked thanks.

How do i apply the above to a folder rather than just a file?

labelwhore
    Participant

same command but make the path the path to a folder instead of a file, use -R after the permission like this sudo chmod 777 -R /path/to/folder to recursively set the permissions below the top level folder specified. For example, to set the permissions on the roms folder and all subfolders and files underneath it I ran sudo chmod 777 -R /home/pi/RetroPie/roms

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • The forum ‘Everything else related to the RetroPie Project’ is closed to new topics and replies.