Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • Author
    Participant

Hello there Pi-Peeps! First of all, I would like to thank everyone here for contributing and answering questions for noobs like me.. *thumbs up!*

I know little to nothing about linux commands (more like nothing, lol) so please bear with me..

My question is, how do you add/remove/replace applications/emulators from retropie?

I have found some useful topics here but they are only useful at the start; I mean when people say “install them from the setup script within retropie_setup.sh”, that part is alright because I can get to it. The fun part starts next though, whenever the instructions tell me to go to a certain directory that does not exist. For example: ‘/home/pi/RetroPie/emulators’ the ’emulators’ folder does not exist anywhere..

If its hidden, how do I get to it?

Next problem is emulator specific.. the default SNES emulator is running fine but the sound is horrible.. Again, found some topics about overclocking and switching to a different emulator. Overclocking part is done, but I cant do the ‘switch emulator’ part…

This might be similar to other posts and I apologize if so.. I can follow instructions quite alright but if the folders/files do not exist, I simply cant.. I might be looking at the wrong place or doing something wrong, I don’t know.. Thanks in advanced!

iam8up
    Participant

Overclocking should fix the original emulator problems, it may not be necessary to switch emulators.

To switch you edit es_systems.cfg but I’m not sure of the dir. If you’re lazy you can

find / -print|grep es_systems.cfg

or maybe updatedb && locate es_systems.cfg if the fs supports it

zsprawl
    Participant

The file is located at:

~/.emulationstation/es_systems.cfg

or

/etc/emulationstation/es_systems.cfg

Check out my other post on this forum for step-by-step setup directions for version 2.2.

fr0zen
    Participant

Thank a bunch guys! will try it out when I get home from work and update this thread! :)

Anonymous
    Inactive

I’m interested to see if pisnes works for you. I haven’t had any luck yet in the new or old version.

iam8up
    Participant

Does the one in ~ superceed everything the one in /etc/ ?

zsprawl
    Participant

[quote=12858]Does the one in ~ superceed everything the one in /etc/ ?[/quote]

Yes I believe so. You may just wanna delete one or the other. I personally use the one in /etc/emulationstation/ and the one in ~/.emulationstation is non-existent.

zsprawl
    Participant

[quote=12778]I’m interested to see if pisnes works for you. I haven’t had any luck yet in the new or old version.[/quote]

I’ve heard of some people downloading the copy off the Internet and overwriting the copy in /opt/retropie/emulators/pisnes. This used to be needed in 1.X for me, at least some versions. However pisnes works great in 2.X for me.

Here are the steps:

cd /opt/retropie/emulators/pisnes
    cp snes9x.cfg snes9x.cfg.bak
    wget http://pisnes.googlecode.com/git/pisnes.zip
    unzip pisnes.zip
    fr0zen
    Participant

Ok, so I managed to get to es_systems.cfg and found out that you really cant straight away switch to a folder within a folder.. I don’t know but cd /folder1/folder2/targetfolder does not work for me.. I had to cd /folder1 then cd /folder2 etc…

Anyway, I edited es_systems.cfg by using the “sudo nano” command (thanks google) and did these lines exactly as you see here (after installing pisnes though the source script in retropie_setup.sh):

<system>
    <fullname>Super Nintendo</fullname>
    <name>snes</name>
    <path>~/RetroPie/roms/snes</path>
    <extension>.smc .sfc .fig .swc .SMC .SFC .FIG .SWC</extension>
    <command>/opt/retropie/emulators/pisnes/snes9x %ROM%</command>
    <platform>snes</platform>
    <theme>snes</theme>
    </system>

I started emulationstation after a reboot and there seems to be no change at all with the performance of snes.. Am I supposed to see PISNES anywhere?? or I guess the question is, how do I know that I have changed emulators already?

fr0zen
    Participant

[quote=12873]

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>atimmins wrote:</div>
    I’m interested to see if pisnes works for you. I haven’t had any luck yet in the new or old version.

I’ve heard of some people downloading the copy off the Internet and overwriting the copy in /opt/retropie/emulators/pisnes. This used to be needed in 1.X for me, at least some versions. However pisnes works great in 2.X for me.

Here are the steps:

cd /opt/retropie/emulators/pisnes
    cp snes9x.cfg snes9x.cfg.bak
    wget http://pisnes.googlecode.com/git/pisnes.zip
    unzip pisnes.zip

[/quote]

I just wanted to understand this.. The steps you gave are actually commands that one should input in the command prompt prompt right (f4 while in the emulationstation)? I was just asking because there’s an ‘unzip’ entry there.. Sorry.. so noob of me..

Anonymous
    Inactive

[quote=12721]Overclocking should fix the original emulator problems, it may not be necessary to switch emulators.
    [/quote]

This is what I did and it improved sound issues dramatically.

fr0zen
    Participant

[quote=13097]

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>iam8up wrote:</div>
    Overclocking should fix the original emulator problems, it may not be necessary to switch emulators.

[/quote]

could you please post your settings? thanks!

zsprawl
    Participant

[quote=13087]
    I just wanted to understand this.. The steps you gave are actually commands that one should input in the command prompt prompt right (f4 while in the emulationstation)? I was just asking because there’s an ‘unzip’ entry there.. Sorry.. so noob of me..
    [/quote]

Yes, everything I tend to ask people to do is on the linux command prompt. Either SSH into the raspberrypi or, as you mention, exit out of emulation station and type said commands.

zsprawl
    Participant

[quote=13097]

[/quote]

Yeah, go Turbo and it works fantastic. Just grab some heat sinks off Amazon first.

smatticus
    Participant

I haven’t gone turbo yet. Need to get those heatsinks still. But I’m doing a modified 1ghz overclock that seriously fixes plenty of performance issues. I’ll need to tinker with pisnes more. I will say that certain games look MUCH sharper in pisnes with zsprawls settings, but super metroid runs poorly. And right now getting that game running PERFECT is my white whale.

shaochain

Just click here to get started

want to learn how to hack arcane legends? well now you can. all you ever have to do is follow this link and read.

Its simple as can be, and it has been made into a little compact, easily digestible hack , that even my 5 year old sister can read. So if you can’t follow the guide and hack arcane legends how you want to, you might want to go to a doctor.

anyway try thinking about the last time you needed something in arcane legends? remember that frustrating feeling? well we do too, thats why Arcane Legends Hack was created. Simple as that.

So going back and recapping Download Guide – Hack Arcane Legends – Happy!
    Boom you win.

fr0zen
    Participant

[quote=13336]

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>aggr1103 wrote:</div>

Yeah, go Turbo and it works fantastic. Just grab some heat sinks off Amazon first.
    [/quote]

I just installed a fresh copy of the retropie 2.2 image. Expanded the disk space, shared mem set to 384, and went turbo. Never made any changes with es_systems.cfg then launched emulationstation. The problem with the ‘crackling’ sound is still there… Later, I’m going to again try switching to a different emulator..

fr0zen
    Participant

sound problem is still there.. If anyone has snes working fine on an hdmi without the annoying cracking sound, please post your settings.. #frustrated

InsecureSpike
    Participant

a couple of posts back I posted my SNES retroarch.cfg file, it features a Mario Allstars work around!

intersected

Hi eweryone. I`m found wery interset site.
    This is Russian ledies make wonderful things.
    Also she write the book.
    http://sh.st/eEDXR
    Thanks.

AWEDennis

[blockquote]BBCode you used is not allowed.[/blockquote]http://forum-share.je1.ru/[/url]
    [blockquote]BBCode you used is not allowed.[/blockquote]
    [blockquote]BBCode you used is not allowed.[/blockquote]

Schumi

Don’t know if you are still having this problem @fr0zen, but in the snes9x.cfg file make sure that AutoFrameskip=1 . When I set that to 0 the audio was broken, but when i changed it back to 1 the audio was fine.

caseyjames
    Participant

Do you have linux on any other pc?If so I use the drag and drop method using my linux machine its so much easier than using the terminal.I find the commands you people post then look for the folders on the card in my linux mint machine.You can edit remove delete add whatever.Take your sd card out of the pi and put it in the linux pc and go from there.I don’t know why any of you use the terminal.I bought my pi2 a month ago and only have used the terminal to set up the pi.After that I use my linux machine for adding roms and for adjusting arch.No terminal needed.Not even for the controllers.All the config files can be found with out the terminal.

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • The forum ‘Everything else related to the RetroPie Project’ is closed to new topics and replies.