Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Participant

Hey guys,

I am very new to this forum and the Raspberry Pi in general, but I have done a ton of research. As the title suggests, my plan is to make a RetroPie in an NES Shell. I am currently getting all my parts purchased. I want you guys to help me and guide me through this, if you’d be so kind! I am currently following this guide: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R2Peo5wX1NU

Here are the parts I currently have purchased and have them on their way to my home:

• Raspberry Pi B+ Model
    • 2x Original SNES Controllers
    • RetroUSB SNES Conversion to USB kit x2 (I am planning to convert the controllers to USB
    • Original NES Broken but with working LED and Power/Reset buttons
    • Sandisk 16GB micro SD Card
    • Mausberry Shut Down Circuit (Choose your own circuit)
    • Edimax Wifi Dongle
    • Zebra Acrylic Case
    • Plugable USB 2.0 4 Port USB Hub 2.5A
    • Industrial Grade Velcro for mounting the Raspberry Pi and USB Hub

I understand the whole thing, theoretically, the only thing that troubles me is soldering the power and reset button to the Mausberry circuit and getting the LED of the NES to work! I know I need a 2.2k resistor for the LED but which one do I buy? On Amazon there are 1/4 watt and 1/2 watt options with a 5% symbol? I’m not too savvy on resistors. But I do somewhat know how to solder, i’m not completely helpless, haha. And where can I get the blue and white wires they solder to the LED? The 5v and ground.

Here is a link the guys provide for the wiring diagram:
    https://plus.google.com/photos/100895179273047163977/albums/5957076319930220449

Suggestions and detailed advice would be amazing! Thanks fellas, hopefully you guys can help accomplish my project.

These are the parts the guys in the video suggest to get:
    Parts List

– A BROKEN NES, don’t destroy a piece of history! Check Ebay.
    – Model A (256MB) or
    – Model B (512MB)
    – Super Nintendo USB Controller (I Brought the Gtron Controller on Amazon)
    – 8GB Class 10 SD Card
    – MausBerry Shutdown Circuit
    – Ada Fruit Board Edge Mounting Kit
    – Belkin Ultra-Slim Series 4-Port USB 2.0 Hub
    – Plugable USB 2.0 2 Hub x2
    – (Optional) Edimax EW-7811Un 150 Mbps Wireless 11n Nano Size USB Adapter

Cables and Bits

– Ultra Slim HDMI
    – AC Adapter Extension Cable
    – Wall Plate with Ethernet and HDMI Keystones
    – 2.2k Ohms Resistor (for the LED)
    – Two USB Male to Micro cables
    – One USB Mini cable

I will not be using Ethernet as I have the WIFI dongle.

sselph
    Participant

For the resistor, 1/4W 5% should be sufficient. As for the wire you can do a search for hook-up wire. The pictures look like it might be 24 gauge but the current flow in the wire will be very low so almost anything will do.

kmills
    Participant

Are you sure 1/4W is enough? How do i know? Does it matter if I get 1/2 watt 5%? and would gpio jumper wires work? i’m a little lost on the whole jumper wire on knowing which one is used for ground or for current flow. Does it matter? Can you use any jumper?

Sorry for so many questions. This is a gift for someone and I want to make it perfect.

sselph
    Participant

Using ohms law: http://www.ohmslawcalculator.com/ohms_law_calculator.php
    The voltage is 5V an the resistor is 2200 Ohm so current flow is 5 / 2200 or 2mA and power is 25 / 2200 or .011W. The Wattage is less than .25W so 1/4 is fine but if you want a .5W it shouldn’t hurt.

For the wire almost any wire would work if it were long enough so if you have some wire sitting around it should work. When choosing the gauge of wire to use the factors are the current it needs to carry and the length you need to carry it. Since the current flow is very low and the distance very short you can use whatever you have.

kmills
    Participant

I see. Thank you very much Mr. Sselph!!
    Just to clarify: So i’d be good to go with this resistor:

and everything should work fine if I use these jumper cables for ground and the 5v current? Which cable do I put the resistor with? the ground or 5v?
    http://www.adafruit.com/products/1952 (EDIT) (had wrong link)

this is the wiring diagram I am following. Is it correct?
    https://plus.google.com/photos/+BryanBurnett/albums/5957076319930220449

sselph
    Participant

Those resistors look fine. The wire would work and seems like it would be easy to connect to the raspberry pi without solder. In the diagram the resistor seems to be placed between ground on the raspberry pi and the other board(think it is the NES).

kmills
    Participant

Thank you very much, Sselph!! You have helped me greatly with something I had trouble understanding. Is there any other advice I could use?

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • The forum ‘Everything else related to the RetroPie Project’ is closed to new topics and replies.