Help! rpi-update hosed my system

Home Forums RetroPie Project Everything else related to the RetroPie Project Help! rpi-update hosed my system

This topic contains 2 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of gizmo98 gizmo98 2 years, 3 months ago.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of bobbyt
    bobbyt
    Participant

I finally got my system able to update via a proxy, but my first run has totally messed up the video picture.

I had come across this thread:
    http://blog.petrockblock.com/forums/search/?bbp_search=force+hdmi

which indicated on a new system one should run:

sudo rpi-update
    sudo reboot
    sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get upgrade -y

Problem is, after running the first line & rebooting, my system will NO LONGER go into HDMI mode. This is inspire of the fact that it worked fine before running this command, and even after uncommenting both:

hdmi_force_hotplug=1
    hdmi_drive=2

I end up with a zoomed in picture that is totally cut off.

In addition there is this little color box in the upper right hand corner that won’t go away no matter what I do (it even shows when my screen is blanked out by the emulationstation screensaver).

Any ideas on what happened and how to fix it? I’m using image v2.3…

Profile photo of bobbyt
    bobbyt
    Participant

Well, I ended up re setting the system up from scratch…

Was a bit easier the second time around, needles to say I’m making backups before attempting any updates in the future…

Profile photo of gizmo98
    gizmo98
    Participant

It’s even better than playing WoW, Diablo3 or Skyrim. You get some linux knowledge and hopefully you can use it in real life. Updating a working image is like playing Diablo3 HC or lottery. If update fails all your time (and money) is wasted. 😉

Rule number 1. Never change a running system. Rule number 2. Do a backup.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

Forums are currently read only - please visit the new RetroPie forums at https://retropie.org.uk/forums/

Skip to toolbar