Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    Participant

I know. I know. Just read forum posts, watch tutorial videos, and research before you ask questions. I have.

I just bought a Raspberry Pi a few days ago. I only want this to build the Emulation Station for gaming. I followed all of steps exactly. I properly formatted my SD card, I downloaded all the proper files and images in the tutorials, I used win32 and successfully wrote images to the SD card. When I put SD card in the Pi, nothing. It doesn’t boot. Just a read light. So I have a stupid question.

1. Do I install NOOBS first then add Retropie or do I need to install NOOBS at all?

I am working with:

Windows 7
    512 Raspberry Pi B
    HDMI cord
    Ethernet cable
    USB wireless keyboard/mouse

I have a plethora of controllers ranging from RETRObit adapters, retro link controllers, and a PS3 USB.

I even returned the Raspberry Pi thinking it was defective and literally got the replacement right now. I am afraid to do anything to this one until, I know if I am doing something wrong. I appreciate any and all feedback in advance.

InsecureSpike
    Participant

are ya using a powered usb hub?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

retropsycho
    Participant

No I am not. Do you need this just to get the Pi to boot up? I understand I will need it to play the games.

InsecureSpike
    Participant

I have had issues in the past about boot problems, and this fixed it for me

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

trimmtrabb
    Participant

Yeah as above, try another power source (a decent 1A) and/or another SD card

retropsycho
    Participant

Ok I will try that. Do I have to install noobs first before installing retropie or can I just install retropie?

trimmtrabb
    Participant

No you don’t need to use noobs

zsprawl
    Participant

You can try loading n00bs on a card and see if that boots though. If it doesn’t you know it’s a hardware/power issue.

retropsycho
    Participant

I am up and running. Thank you guys for the input.

smatticus
    Participant

Have you made sure the SD card is actually properly inserted? I had that issue once where I thought I had put the card all the way in but it didn’t boot so as per tech support 101 I “unplugged it and plugged it back in”. Turns out the SD card wasn’t making contact

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • The forum ‘Everything else related to the RetroPie Project’ is closed to new topics and replies.