heatsink question?

This topic contains 5 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of trimmtrabb trimmtrabb 3 years, 1 month ago.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of wsamh
    wsamh
    Participant

If I buy a heatsink kit. Would the pi be able to handle if it is overclocked to 1ghz without buying a fan?

Profile photo of anthony691
    anthony691
    Participant

The general consensus seems to be that cooling offers no benefit.

A lot of people run into card corruption problems in turbo mode, but in the vast majority of cases, these problems likely have nothing to do with heat.

I keep my Raspberry Pi in turbo and it is quite stable (no corruption so far).

Profile photo of trimmtrabb
    trimmtrabb
    Participant

As above, you don’t need heatsinks/fans the Pi even overclocked to 1000 will never reach high enough temps to warrant it

If you have found the solution to your problem please mark the topic as resolved.

Profile photo of wsamh
    wsamh
    Participant

Then why does my pi freeze when I am trying to run games on turbo, But it is fine when I run at 900.

Profile photo of anthony691
    anthony691
    Participant

There seem to be a whole variety of reasons for crashes in turbo mode (you can search around or read the stickied thread on overclocking). A lot of people have had the same experience as you with stability at 900 but lockups at 1000.

There are a small number of reports of freezing resolved by the installation of cooling, but I really don’t know what to make of these. Experts say that there is no benefit, and I’m inclined to believe them. You can probably get some heatsinks for $4, so why not give it a try just for fun?

Profile photo of trimmtrabb
    trimmtrabb
    Participant

As above, some Pi’s seem to overclock better than others. Also your PSU could be a factor

If you have found the solution to your problem please mark the topic as resolved.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

Forums are currently read only - please visit the new RetroPie forums at https://retropie.org.uk/forums/

Skip to toolbar