Has anyone seen the Orange Pi?

Welcome Page Forums RetroPie Project New to RetroPie? Start Here! Has anyone seen the Orange Pi?

This topic contains 4 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of gizmo98 gizmo98 1 year, 9 months ago.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of zanie420
    zanie420
    Participant

http://www.aliexpress.com/item/Orange-Pi-PC-linux-and-android-mini-PC-Beyond-Raspberry-Pi-2/32448079125.html

For $15, this looks amazing. It is apparently compatible with the Raspberry Pi image…. I wonder if it would work with Retropie?

Profile photo of herbfargus
    herbfargus

Has a power switch and a mic… But only 3 USB hubs. Looks very interesting. I don’t know if I’d trust it coming from china… But if you’re willing to drop $18 on it I’d be intrigued if it worked.

Likelihood is some of the drivers may not work as the processor is different and there may be some incompatibilities but I could be wrong.

Profile photo of zanie420
    zanie420
    Participant

After some research it would appear that the Allwinner chip is grossly unsupported and many of these boards are collecting dust on people’s shelves, too bad

Profile photo of Omnija
    Omnija
    Participant

For 15$ i’d buy it. As to why nobody is willing to tinker with it, is a tragic.

Profile photo of gizmo98
    gizmo98
    Participant

It is not software compatible. It has an allwinner H3 with four Cortex A7 cores and a MALI GPU. Don’t know if there is a debian image with good gpu support. I doubt it. Linux sunxi based allwinner images are not as good as raspbian. Bad GPU support. Bad full HD performance. No resolution switching during runtime. X must run to get GLES support. Bad default settings and so on.

So you have a cheap board with no software support best used for headless tasks like file server or router.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

Forums are currently read only - please visit the new RetroPie forums at https://retropie.org.uk/forums/

Skip to toolbar