Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Author
    Participant

hi. i just try scraper but the thegamesdb.net is down. how can i get games description with picture in emulatorstation ?
    thank you

mikeveli20
    Participant

Wait until it’s back up, or you can add them yourself by manually editing the xml file. I’ve had to do that for a few games where for whatever reason the scraper won’t pick up the game from thegamesdb. Mobygames.com is a good alternate source that I use for images and descriptions. If you have tons of games to scrape though I would just wait for thegamesdb to be up otherwise it will take forever.

cengherbogdan
    Participant

thank you so much. yes. i have tons of games. i will wait for thegamedb . thanks again

mikeveli20
    Participant

Hopefully it’s back soon. This outage has been longer than any previous ones that I can remember.

Edit: Likely won’t be for awhile according to this latest update: https://www.facebook.com/thegamesdb/posts/1058742734182457

newparadise
    Participant

Where do I find the xml, and where do I put the image files?

mikeveli20
    Participant

/opt/retropie/configs/all/emulationstation

Then you’ll see a ‘downloaded_images’ folder and a ‘gamelists’ folder. Within each will be a folder for each system.

newparadise
    Participant

Cool, thanks. Found it, do you know if there is an example out there of what the layout/formatting is? They are all blank right now.

EDIT: nm, found it

zitrax
    Participant

If you use https://github.com/sselph/scraper you can pass skip_check and use_ovgdb or similar on the commandline. Worked for me, see its help output.

cengherbogdan
    Participant

http://archive.vg/ is online. can i scrape database from there ?

newparadise
    Participant

I don’t see a downloaded_images folder, just gamelists. Inside gamelists, I go to mame-advmame, and open gamelist.xml. It was empty, just had </gameList>. So I opened up mame-mame4all even though I don’t use it anymore. There is path, name, playcount, and lastplayed. I don’t see any place for image though. Any help appreciated thanks!

mikeveli20
    Participant

You’ll have to create the folder if you haven’t scraped any games yet. It should go in the /opt/retropie/configs/all/emulationstation folder.

Once inside the xml, add an <image> tag to your game with the path to the image.

E.g. <image>/opt/retropie/configs/all/emulationstation/downloaded_images/snes/Super Mario World-image.jpg</image>

There’s also a symlink that will take you to the emulationstation folder which is a bit shorter to type: /home/pi/.emulationstation

zerojay
    Participant

thegamesdb is back up, btw.

mydriaze
    Participant

Tricky one: I’m playing F-Zero on SNES. How to edit metadata? F-zero spelling find nothing. Neither F Zero, neither FZEro. I’m lost, I don’t know how to match this game with the database!

crbrx
    Participant

Press select on the game and scroll down to edit metadata. It lets you do it for individual games. If that doesn’t work, make a manual entry in the proper folder, as referenced above.

herbfargus
    mydriaze
    Participant

Thanks for your reply. I’m not saying i don’t know how to use/scrap metadata, i’m saying that the F-zero spelling did not work properly with the scraper: FZERO, F ZERO, F-ZERO spelling didn’t match anything.

herbfargus

Sselphs scraper matches based on hash data not necessarily the game title, but his database may not be complete

mydriaze
    Participant

I will give a try, thanks for the hint. ;)

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • The forum ‘New to RetroPie? Start Here!’ is closed to new topics and replies.