Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author
    Participant

Have a working self_built MAME cabinet
    Purchased Raspberry PI 2
    Latest Retropie (as of writing today)

Inserted USB into PI to get folder structure
    Ran thru the steps on https://github.com/RetroPie/RetroPie-Setup/wiki/Managing-ROMs
    copied over newly create .zip files into mame4all on usb
    inserted back into PI and no “MAME” or “MAME4ALL” in emulator selection.

What am I missing here

Much Thanks

herbfargus

Are you sure the roms transferred over? Which rom folder did you put them in? There are 3.

https://github.com/RetroPie/RetroPie-Setup/wiki/MAME

Also did you refresh emulationstation with f4 or quitting emulationstation from the start menu?

mthompson
    Participant

Dumped them on my USB drive to mame4all. Just checked in File Manager, and only thing in /home/pi/retropie/roms/mame-mame4all is 2 folders, artwork and samples. Looks like I am missing the neogeo file to add to my mame4all DIR. IS it ok to ask for that file since not a ROM?

herbfargus

It’s a bios and has the same legal standing as roms I.e. you’re on your own in finding it.

But If there are no roms in the folder they wont show up in emulationstation. You may need to use the cp command if they aren’t transferring from your usb. Or just use samba shares.

https://github.com/RetroPie/RetroPie-Setup/wiki/First-Installation#transferring-roms

mthompson
    Participant

Understood. Not sure where I went wrong, but redid the process based on the link/video you provide…I now have MAME and ROMS. I dont however think my PS3 USB controller is configured proper. I have that controller and a wireless mini_keyboard connected. Keyboard is good. Configured the controller and no buttons do anything within a game. In emmulationstation, the controller does function…so this leads me to believe I’m missing some factor in my setup/config.

herbfargus

Press tab to configure mame controls for mame4all. It’s explained on the wiki page

mthompson
    Participant

Thank you sir. Slowly chugging away this project. Once you insert the USB with fiels in its proper location…it just works lol. Now my question, as I have a few ROMS that are missing file…how do I remove them from EmulationStation? Was going to go thru and mark off which were incomplete and then remove them to keep it clean and proper. Also, what do I need to remove to say get rid of the MS DOS emulator from the menu? Goal is to only have needed items listed.

Much thanks

herbfargus

You can press select in emulationstation and delete roms individually or you can delete them in the backend over samba shares but be careful as some of the non working files you may be deleting may cause other roms to be nonworking if they are a clone of the non working parent (confusing I know.)

mthompson
    Participant

Understood. Connected via LAN port…but unknow IP address *hint hint* to next question ;)

Floob

You can try hostname “RETROPIE” rather than using the IP.

herbfargus

There is also an option in the retropie menu to show your IP but I typically just use the retropie hostname as its easier to remember

mthompson
    Participant

[quote=112954]Understood. Connected via LAN port…but unknow IP address *hint hint* to next question ?

[/quote]

If you auto boot to EmulationStation, this is how to collect your IP address.

mthompson
    Participant

Hrmmm…

When I try to create a new folder connected over LAN it states no space…its a 32GB microSD…so I know that is not the case. Looks like I dont have write access maybe as I just deleted a file of like 1.8k and still no luck.

mthompson
    Participant

“This always the case when installing RetroPie from the image. You have to expand the filesystem to make all of the space available to you. Go to the command line. If in Emulation Station then press F4 to get to the command line. At the command line type:

sudo raspi-config

and press Enter. This will display the configuration tool. Select option 1. Expand the Filesystem an press Enter.

That’s all you have to do. The full space will be available for you to use now”

dankcushions
    Participant

if you’re getting ‘missing file’ messages you didn’t rebuild your mame set correctly. it should only produce zips that are correct for the .dat file you gave it.

personally i’d be more incline to resolve it that way than go through 1000s of roms and remove the broken ones!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • The forum ‘New to RetroPie? Start Here!’ is closed to new topics and replies.